cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Registered Users"

N/A

"Registered Users"

I notice at the front page of the forum it says "We have 16044 registered users"

What does that mean exactly? Is it merely the number of people who use the forum, or is it total number of users registered with PlusNet as an ISP?

If it isn't the total number of users that use PlusNet then roughly how many of us are there?
10 REPLIES
N/A

"Registered Users"

It's just the number of users who have registered to use the forum.
I don't think they'd like to give away how many subscribers they have.
N/A

"Registered Users"

I wasn't aware that I 'registered' though, I just came in here and started posting things...
N/A

"Registered Users"

I think as soon as a user visits the forum, they are automagically registered for it.
Community Veteran

"Registered Users"

What PlusNet have done is they've customised the code, so that what infact happens is you're automatically added to the forum's members list (i.e. you're registered), the first time you use the forums after signing up. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

"Registered Users"

OIC - thanks Smiley

Those users that don't visit the forum don't know what they are missing Wink
Ianwild
Grafter

"Registered Users"

Hi Guys,

Telling you how many customers we have is never as easy as it sounds, because nobody has ever really decided what makes a customer. If you only include subscription customers, you miss out those who still use 0845 free accounts, which is our second largest source of revenue. If you include 0845 customers, your cheating, because it's free to signup for an account and so loads of people have more than one, or don't really use it. We have something like 200,000 active accounts if you include 0845 users (Again, the definition of 'active' isn't set in stone either!).

We do publish customer numbers on DSL and Unmetred dialup from time to time. I haven't got the Unmetered ones to hand, but in terms of DSL, as of the end if December we reported a total of 46,523 active DSL users, an increase from 14,517 from the end of the same period the year before.

Regards,

Ian
vic_newey
Grafter

"Registered Users"

how does an ISP, inc. +net obtain revenue from the 0845 free accounts? i never could work that one out
N/A

"Registered Users"

A percentage of the telephone charge isn't it ?

Moderators note (John) Unecessary quote removed
Community Veteran

"Registered Users"

Free accounts are not actually free. It's free to register but you still pay for your phone calls when surfing. PlusNet get a %age of the cost of the call. So if it is costing you 1p/min Plusnet may get something like 30% or .3p/min, with BT taking the rest. I'm not sure of the exact percentage though.

High usage dialup users are a good revenue earner to PlusNet or any other ISP for that matter. They can often get more income from dialup than from the ADSL accounts due to the fixed income that ADSL gives them and the very tight margins in place to remain competitive.
N/A

"Registered Users"

Hi Guys,

but in terms of DSL, as of the end if December we reported a total of 46,523 active DSL users, an increase from 14,517 from the end of the same period the year before.

Regards,

Ian

While the rest of your posting was interesting, this was just the sort of feedback I was looking for I think, being a DSL user myself Smiley

It was only curiosity on my part, but you have impressed me no end with a definitive answer - excellent!