cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Random" Disconnects. Pattern Forming.

N/A

The problem definitly seems to be PN and/or PN related. The problems start shorly after 1800 (5 "blips" so far tonight) and continue with irritatingly high frequency until about 0230, and there are usually a few more between that and ~0800.There never seem to be any problems betwen ~0800 and ~1800.

Something somewhere can't take the load during peek times and I doubt it is my router (if it was, then I would exect dropouts off-peak too given that I've intentionally keep the "load" on the link as stable as possibly over 24 hours for the last few days).

See http://spillett.plus.com/stats/traffic/eth0.html for some pretty graphs. Where the minimum "outgoing" touches 0 indicats a period when there was no connection (or not routing) for at least one sampling period.

What extra diagnostics can I do from this end? Is it easy (and cost free) to drop down to 1Mb temporarily to see if that is the problem? (though I ran at 2Mb for a couple of months after the uppgrade from 512Kb before this problem started...)
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Just saw your other post and then came to this.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off :lol: , Have your tried the BT test to eliminate Exchange contention kicking in. Sorry fi you have been asked this before. Its hard somtimes keeping track of threads.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

1. I'm seeing this as well - but I'm not seeing any slowdowns at any time and my exchange is green.

2. Why would exchange contention cause a disconnect?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

It wouldnt and if I would read the thread title, I also wouldnt give a rubbish response. :roll:

Sorry. Forget the previous post.

To get a full understanding of the isue, when you mention "blips" does your router lose connection, ie synch or do you simply fail to browse the net.

When the "blips" occur, can you ping or traceroute to say portal.plus.net or bbc.co.uk?

If you retain synch, then an attempt to run the BT speed test may prove that the issue lies outside the BT network.
Community Veteran

I don't actually notice the disconnect, but have found entries in my router log. For example:
Thu, 2005-10-20 19:18:41 - LCP down.

Thu, 2005-10-20 19:18:43 - Initialize LCP.
Thu, 2005-10-20 19:18:43 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Thu, 2005-10-20 19:18:47 - CHAP authentication success
Thu, 2005-10-20 22:13:07 - LCP down.
Thu, 2005-10-20 22:13:09 - Initialize LCP.
Thu, 2005-10-20 22:13:09 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Thu, 2005-10-20 22:13:14 - CHAP authentication success
N/A

The messages relate to your ADSL link.

LCP down means there is no ADSL signal on the line or one cannot be detected.

Initialize LCP and LCP is allowed to come up mean an ADSL signal has been detected and the router is trying to get it working.

Once the ADSL link is up CHAP is used to tell it who you are. Once the CHAP authentication has completed then you have a correct link through the ADSL line, BT's exchange and then to BT's network and on to Plus Net.

To me, it would seem that the ADSL signal is being dropped somewhere along the line between your premises and the exchange either due to a fault with the router or the line.
N/A

As for the timings that this happens it may be down to the signal strength on the line changing.

For example, expansonion and contraction (right wordHuh) of the cable has different affects on its resistance and thus the signal also. So suring the day the cable may expand with heat and at night shrink. This could cuase disconnects if ur line stats arent all that good.

2ndly record the weather when these drops occur.
I've found that about 5~10mins after it starts raining my line becomes unstable. I blieve this is due to the BT box in my driveway flooding very quickly Sad

Post your line stats.... attenuation and SNR if ur router supports it. might suggest one of the possible causes listed above
Community Veteran

If it's a problem with my line, why 95% of the time does it occur during the evening? My router is on all the time, most of the drops are around 8pm or a bit later.
N/A

Many reasons, from weather, to electrical interference.

Somthing either in or near your premises could be interfering with you adsl signal.

Obviously without further investigation by BT we can only speculate.

If you have checked all wiring and filters at your end, then maybe its time to get BT on the job.

If you havent already done so, raise a ticket. Dont worry about the mention of the BT charge. if you have checked everything at your end it will not apply.
N/A

What router are you using

I am seeing the same thing on my netgear dg834g
N/A

One netgear above Smiley

And what routers are you other guys using?
N/A

The messages relate to your ADSL link.

LCP down means there is no ADSL signal on the line or one cannot be detected.

Initialize LCP and LCP is allowed to come up mean an ADSL signal has been detected and the router is trying to get it working.

Not quite. LCP stands for "Link Control Protocol" and tells you about the PPP status, it isn't necessarily an indicator of the ADSL link status, which the Netgear annoyingly doesn't monitor separately.

Obviously, when you lose synch you'll lose LCP, but you can tell synch is not being lost in this case due to the short period between the drop and the reconnect - resynching takes at least 15 seconds then you need to negotiate the LCP and handshake via CHAP subsequently.
N/A

boycies,

Have you seen the updates here.

Coming round to your way of thinking on 11th

^^Thanks for the clarification Alex^^ Smiley
Community Veteran

And what routers are you other guys using?

DG834v1

It happened under v1.05.00 and still happens after ipgrading to V2.10.22
N/A

Surely this is more than a coincedence, rather than the DG834G being popularHuh

Yeh I've seen the other thread, thanks.