cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"... PlusNet is currently unusable for reliable email.&

pcorker
Grafter

I noticed this statement in another post and wondered if everyone feels this way about Plusnet's email.

Often when a feature is criticised, many posters say "... works fine for me" which is often helpful in fault tracing.

Are there many (any?) folk who regard Plusnet's email as reliable?

Previously, Plusnet have suggested that email is a free addition to their real ISP business and they provide it out of the kindness of their hearts so we really can't complain if it is not very good. Is this still the case?
26 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet has been unreliable for email for quite a few weeks/months now, which is why I, and many others, now use Gmail as our primary mail. It works with OE and Thunderbird, and is faster and more reliable than Plusnet email.

There is no money in it for Plusnet to sort out the mail, as opposed to fine-tuning the ellacoyas to strangle people's bandwidth, so I'd suspect they're not busting a gut to fix it.
N/A

e-mail seems fairly stable at the momen, just waitng for usenet to be sorted.
N/A

My E-mail seems fine. The dozens of spam and spoofed E-mails I get every friggin' hour tells me this. Anyone else totally ticked off with the way our E-mail addresses are like free call girls? Everyone on the net uses them. Not sure whether Plusnet can do anything about this - or even if they give a hoot. I know some have said 'that's the internet, get over it' Well, if we went through life with that attitude the world would soon be a worse place than it already is.

I mean, E-mail service may be free, but the offering of E-mail addresses is used in marketing the boradband product so, well, I'd say it matters.

I've become really disillusioned....

Ste
N/A

Duplicate post deleted.
N/A

Spam & E-mail

Spam
I too have noticed an increase in the number of spam messages we have received in the lst 3 weeks.

Were this not provided by +net then I would immediately unsubscribe. I have not noticed many problems with it though.
N/A

You might want to checkout this thread,

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48989

over 130 customers ask for action from Plusnet and some offer solutions that can help even if they render the full email facility useless.
sinewave
Grafter

I am a very heavy www user. I'm a member of countless forums, shopping sites etc etc.

I don't get ~any~ spam at all. No really, none. Well... ok I've had one spam email in the last month but that is heavy spam for me.

I don't use any anti-spam software and use my PN email address for pretty much everything.

I used to get it a few years ago before I was with PN but then I know who I used to pass my email to! I learned a lesson with Demon.

But...
I ~never~ put my email anywhere public, be it online or on hand written forms etc.
I ~always~ tick the box to signify no newsletters/emails, pass on to third parties etc.
If I have any doubt to who I'm passing on my email to I use Sneakemail.com

Really, if you are careful, it wont happen. Of course, one slip and spam comes flooding in!

I feel its very unreasonable to blame Plusnet for Spam.
N/A

I feel its very unreasonable to blame Plusnet for Spam.

Nobody is blaming Plusnet for the SPAM, what we are doing is asking Plusnet to give us greater tools and to take greater precautions with security.

It would be good if they implemented solutions like SPF.

Just because you are not affected now does not mean that you won't be soon.

Some users are getting 2400+ emails a day, none of which are their fault. It is not because they foolishly gave out their address it is because SPAMMERS are using their email domain name to send spam and so they get the undelivered messages.

In the thread I linked to above we have discussed this very forum as a security leak because they provide guest access. Looking at posters they can see your domain is called ocarroll and so send spam from kdhfgkjd@ocxxxxll.plus.com.

The SPAM filter does not catch any of this and so Plusnet suggests we create mailboxes for the mail addresses we use and send all mail that is not addressed to these to a blackhole.

This is ignoring the problem and does nothing to stop it.

Plusnet offers no protection or other tools to prevent this. That is why people are emotive about this.
Eserim
Rising Star

ibc01 - again your theory of harvesting from these forums doesn't hold up.

If any spammers were doing that two then users such as ocarroll and myself would a) be getting spam SENT to our PlusNet names - we're not, like ocarroll I NEVER get spam sent to my PlusNet address, at all, ever. The only sapm I get is to my hosted domains where they have guessed an address (eg webmaster@mydomian.co.uk)

and b) we would be getting NDR reports from email SENT out spoofing our Plus Net address. Again this is not happening.
N/A

e-mail seems fairly stable at the momen, just waitng for usenet to be sorted.

Me too. Don't know whats happened. Plusnet's Usenet server was great up to a few weeks ago...now it is practically unusable.
N/A

I want to keep my comments on this issue in the original thread so I have posted my reply here

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=366431#366431
N/A

N/A

We seem to be having quite a delay of between 1 - 6 hours in receiving emails at the moment.
N/A

Seem to be having big delivery delays here, i've had several people send me test mails this morning (and sent mails to myself through hotmail/gmail) an hour later just one has been delivered.
Also just had a mail from ebay delivered that gives it's sent time as 02:50 am !

very poor indeed.