cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Free Set-up Offer" and "satisfaction guarant

N/A

I have just signed up for the PlusNet broadband service and am waiting to be activated and just wanted to clarify the offers above which were instrumental in my decision to use PlusNet:

Having read the terms and conditions in much more detail after having logged on to the portal it appears to me that the offers above are not exactly what they say:

"Free set-up" only appears to apply if you stay with PlusNet for 5 years - they apply a sliding cancellation charge instead of the set-up fee for the next 5 years. Given the nature of the Internet business I can't see anybody actually doing that - even if PlusNet were around for 5 more years ! So in fact we are all likely to pay for the set-up.

Also, on my "order tracking" it would appear that my "initial payment" (which I have paid) is different to my first month's subscription (which will be paid on activation) What, then, does this relate to if not some kind of "set-up" fee ??

Also, the "satisfaction guaranteed" appears to be an offer to refund up to a maximum of £12.99 if you decide to move within 45 days. However, if you signed up for a 12 month contract the offer does not actually allow you to cancel it so to qualify for your £12.99 you have to pay for 2 broadband connections simultaneously ! And you will have incurred either the full set-up cost or a cancellation fee at the end of the minimum period (1 month or 12 months)

Plusnet - please correct me if I my understanding is incorrect regarding the 2 issues above.
9 REPLIES
N/A

im afraid you are correct on all counts
Alecto
Grafter

But Pn are only doing what the other ISPs do who offer "free" this, that or the other.
It would be nonsense for them to give you free stuff and incur consts on your behalf, only to allow you to leave on a whim without reimbursing those costs to them.
When did you EVER get anything from a commercial company that was absolutely free, with no strings? And if you ever did, was it worth having?
N/A

I'm assuming that response came from a "less than happy" Plusnet customer ?

Fortunately I am still in my "cooling off" period and still have time to bail out.

I don't know about anybody else but I'd say their "offers" are quite outrageously misleading.
Community Veteran

And clearly indicates you should read all terms and conditions for offers BEFORE you accept them. Wherever thye free setup is shown, it does clearly state that terms apply.

The satisfaction guarantee does I believe, allow you to leave within 45 days, even on an annual contract, but I can't find the link to it at the moment so I may be wrong.
N/A

reply to Geoff

I take your point Geoff - but deliberately misleading advertising/promotions are both legislated against and worth publiscising, and will only be the norm, as you appear to imply, if people accept it without question.
Sorry but I think those offers are sharp practice.
N/A

yes - always read the samll print - especially where plusnet are conerned!!
N/A

I think you can only bail out if you pay the set up fees

but dont quote me on it
N/A

Peter

fair enough but quite frankly who ever does - I had a look when signing up but they were enormous, on a tiny window which required continuos scrolling and in large part unintelligable legal gobbledegook - with the important parts stuck in the middle somewhere. Did you honestly read them start to finish yourself ?

And the "terms apply" were not very clear and ultimately referred you to the above full "terms and conditions" anyway.

When normal non-legal people read an offer then check the "terms and conditions" and don't understand them or understand the implications they are reasonably entitled to rely on the "spirit" of what is said.
Alecto
Grafter

I agree with you cliffe, but am afraid it's the way of the world.
Some ISPs are still advertising "unlimited downloads", and don't mention that they throttle you to buggery and throw you off without warning if you use more than they would like.
And what about all these creams that remove wrinkles? Or restore hair? Or tell you anything else you want to hear to get your money off you (not that I'm implying you're bald or wrinkly :lol: ).

I don't like it, but I think it's the way it is.