cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions from a noisy line user

sinewave
Grafter

I've been suffering with disconnections since the end of September. There is no loss of sync. ppp disconnects. They last from a few seconds to a couple of mins or so and occur at least once to perhaps ten times a day. A recent Woosh test was performed and it seems I have quite high levels of noise (46dB on a 2Mb line).

question 1
I have been informed that if BT look into this, they may slow down my connection speed to solve the disconnection problem. I'd rather put up with the odd disconnect than slower downloads. If BT say the only solution is a downgrade in speed then I would prefer them to leave things as is. Will I get a choice in this?

question 2
I have been informed it would be worth me trying a different router/modem on my line as this may prove less sensitive to the noise. I currently have a Netgear DG814. What make/model of router/modem would be a better performer?

I am 1km from the exchange (according to samknows.com) and have, supposedly, a "modern exchange". I had a rock solid 2Mb connection for 6 months before this problem. Nothing has been changed at my end. I really have gone through everything at home.

I am worried that escalating this to BT will result in my connection being dropped to 1Mb - and I wont have a choice!

Any answers to my two questions? Any general thoughts?

cheers to you all.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes as your line figures are over the official limit for 2 meg then BT may well reduce you to 1 meg.

You could try a D-Link 504T which seem to be a lot more sensitive then many others and it may cope better with your line loss.

I had one that could see some sort of signal on 2 meg with -62 db loss. It wouldnt stay in sync for long at that loss level but older version couldn't even see the signal at all.
N/A

Yes it would be worth trying another router to see what results you get.

The older Netgear routers have a nasty habit at times of adding a few db to the noise levels and on a marginal line this can result in similar problems to those whichyou are seeing.

If you can borrow a Netgear DG834 series, this should eliminate any problems and give you a more accurate reading.

Deffo worth a try.
madswitcher
Grafter

Another one to look at is the Draytek 2600 modem-router. It has some UK only firmware suitable for low S/N situations. I am using it on a 5.5 M line from UKOnline with a S/N of about 8 dB and getting no drop outs whatsoever.

The Draytek forums are also very informative.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

46 db is the line loss/attenuation, rather than the noise per se. Noise margin/SNR tells you that.

7 or 8 miles from the exchange here and the 1mbit connection is rock-solid with the Draytek Vigor 2600. That said, the line is very good for the length (attenuation of 59db and SNR of 18db) and I've not had to put the long-line firmware to the test. Solid wifi performance as well, through several feet of stone walls....
sinewave
Grafter

Thanks for the info guys:-)

The Draytek vigor 2600 looks interesting. Is it easy to use though? I note there are a fair few features that you access through telnet software - does this make it a bit "clunky".

I appreciate that BT may well want to switch me over to 1Mb from 2Mb but would this be offered to me as a solution or would they just go ahead and do it? I mean, would I have a say in the matter?

Thanks again.

T