cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postmaster account

pennbank
Grafter

postmaster account

Please, do we still need a postmaster mail box, now plus net have created a username@username.plus.com account as the default mail box ?
24 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

postmaster account

Hi,

You don't necessarily need a seperate postmaster mailbox but you do need to continue to receive mail sent to the postmaster address. So you could instead add it as an alias to which ever mailbox you use. That's probably the easiest thing to do.
pennbank
Grafter

postmaster account

Many thanks for quick reply
chrisc
Grafter

postmaster account

No problem.

Give us a shout if you have any more questions.
Alistair

postmaster account

I remain puzzled!

I recently switched off the "catch-all" as recommended to minimise random SPAM, and I note that PN has automatically added an Alias of "Postmaster" - but linked to username@username.plus.com, the address that I thought would now be "blackholed". I now only monitor my "named" mailboxes.
Have I misunderstood something about the catch-all?

Alistair
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

postmaster account

A catch-all will basically receive anything@username.plus.com

When you turn off the catch-all there is a postmaster address created if you do no already have one in place, this is the address we use to contact you on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Alistair

postmaster account

In that case I would prefer to re-direct the Postmaster Alias to a "named" account - but there is no option to do so!

Or is it a PN requirement that I monitor the username@username.plus.com?

Alistair
thehatman
Grafter

postmaster account

Isn't it in "Alias", then "Add Alias" ? Then after you've done that delete the separate postmaster account. Is that right PN?
Liam
Grafter

postmaster account

You need to add the postmaster alias before turning off the 'catch-all'.

Not ideal, but if you re-enable the catch-all temporarily, it will then allow you to create the postmaster alias against a different mailbox. Then, when you turn off the catch-all again, it will stay attached to the mailbox you chose.

Hope that helps!
Gilles
Dabbler

postmaster account

I suspect anyway that PN will have to stop using the postmaster address and only use the address in the user settings (set for this very administrative purpose).

The reason is that due to the ongoing SPAM issue it is clear that a number of domain/username have been leaked. And once you have this information you don't have to be very clever to start sending SPAM to:

postmaster@leadked-username.plus.com

Unless PN start renaming all of the user account names... That could be fun Sad (although from a security point of view that probably would be the most reasonable thing to do).
Gilles
Dabbler

postmaster account

Admittedly someone scanning the PN forums would be able to gather quite a lot of username. And with this info it would be relativelly easy to build SPAM attack on addresses like:

postmaster@domain.plus.com
domain@domain.plus.com

Hum... Not very good. Personnaly I am not collecting email anymore from these...
Alistair

postmaster account

Not ideal, but if you re-enable the catch-all temporarily, it will then allow you to create the postmaster alias against a different mailbox. Then, when you turn off the catch-all again, it will stay attached to the mailbox you chose.

Hope that helps!

Have now tried that - sadly the postmaster alias remains without edit or delete option.
Do I have to raise a ticket to change it now?

Alistair
Malwa
Grafter

postmaster account

Hope that helps!

Have now tried that - sadly the postmaster alias remains without edit or delete option.
Do I have to raise a ticket to change it now?

Alistair

This isn't an ideal solution but I was playing around just now and found that if you go to redirect you can redirect the postmaster mailbox to any of your other PN mailboxes. It seems to work because I just sent my postmaster mailbox an email from my hotmail account and it turned up in the mailbox I had redirected it to.

Paula

<typo edited>
Alistair

postmaster account

Thanks for the work-around Paula!
N/A

postmaster account

The issue was also noted here.