cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postmaster account compromised

N/A

Our postmaster account@username was harvested right from the start of the last debacle with email. We have to keep this e-mail address apparently as plusnet use it for billing, etc. We are still continuing to get nasty spam in, and will do until we can change our username. Does anyone know if this is possible without closing the account down?

Googlemail has beeen terrific so far for all our emails. Well worth the hassle of moving all the addresses etc. Thanks.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can request a change of username. Either do a search of this forum for threads on the subject or raise a ticket and CS will explain what to do. Its not a simple exercise though.

Also changes are planned to allow you to specify any mailbox as the one that PN can contact you on and blackhole postmaster.
N/A

Re: postmaster account compromised

Our postmaster account@username was harvested right from the start of the last debacle with email. We have to keep this e-mail address apparently as plusnet use it for billing, etc. We are still continuing to get nasty spam in, and will do until we can change our username. Does anyone know if this is possible without closing the account down?

Thanks.

I believe you can change this can't you?
My account | Account Details | Edit details | then
at the bottom 'EMail'?
Is that the one you mean?
I changed this as I too get spammed on it (it was a specific address and an obvious sign they had been compromised) and now I direct the old address to a dead-box. This might not work if it's also your catch-all etc.
Maybe that helps.
Wish my other spam trouble was so easily solved Sad
N/A

Thanks for replying. The postmaster account cannot be blackholed or changed to a re-direct. I had already closed down the other live e-mail accounts. I guess we'll have to wait until plusnet come up with a way for people to change their compromised postmaster@usernames.
N/A

Re: postmaster account compromised

I believe you can change this can't you?
My account | Account Details | Edit details | then
at the bottom 'EMail'?
Is that the one you mean?
I changed this as I too get spammed on it (it was a specific address and an obvious sign they had been compromised) and now I direct the old address to a dead-box.

Actually .. talking about this has revealed I've just noticed another plusnet email problem?
I changed this as described a while ago and I just noticed plusnet are still sending the 'topic reply notification' to the *OLD* address plusnet had for me.
So plusnet have:
- my username / postmaster one
- the one configured as described above [which they send to]
- some ghost memory of the old one configured above, and they are still sending 'topic replies' to it? - Which I put in a 'known compromised addresses I can usually not check' spam folder to attempt to manage the quantity of it). I can only guess plusnet don't replicate changes from edit details to the forum settings or whatever? I can't see that address anywhere to change?
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The forum "topic reply notifications" are seperate to PlusNet systems (as is the forum in general) and you'll need to PM a mod with your new address.

There is also a setting to switch off topic replies globally (unless you request them on a per-thread basis) here under "Always notify me of replies".
deadkenny
Grafter

Also changes are planned to allow you to specify any mailbox as the one that PN can contact you on and blackhole postmaster.

Any idea when this will happen?

I don't use my PN email for much other than admin of my account and emails from PN. Since the recent situation it's gone spam crazy. Okay I can just ignore/delete it but it would be better if I could just have the address blocked and pick another as my main contact.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'll check up and confirm, but I believe these changes are due next week from this post by Bob:

http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/05/more-mail-antispam-improvements/
N/A

I've read Bob's reply, but a specific posting about compromised postmaster@usernameplusnet would be very helpful.

I would find it very useful as a non-techie user to have simple instructions! Some of the help pages are not helpful if you have little PC knowledge. How about some simple advice as well please?