cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port 25 blocked?

N/A

port 25 blocked?

Does plusnet block port 25? I can't seem to send any emails due to it being blocked by something.
16 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter

port 25 blocked?

Not unless things have changed very recently. If you do a search you will find very few ports are blocked - and those for good reason.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

port 25 blocked?

Hi,

No, there's no blocks on port 25. What error message are you getting?
N/A

port 25 blocked?

Hi there, the error message is:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: ', Account: 'neal73 plus net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

My SMTP server is set to relay.plus.net

I'm using OE6, Zonealarm Pro and using a BT Voyager 240 router, so if anyon ecould give any pointers I'd be most grateful.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

port 25 blocked?

The most common cause for that error is anti-virus or firewall software not working correctly.

Please disable these and try again.
N/A

port 25 blocked?

I noticed you are using Zonealarm. I downloaded it and it caused all sorts of problems. Suffering from short term memory loss Wink I'd tried it before and forgotten that it caused problems with my system.trouble with downloads and installs. I got rid, and things became hunky dory Cool
painswck
Grafter

port 25 blocked?

A quick search on google also comes up with this http://support.imhosted.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=328&c=5.

This suggests that the problem would not be at PN's server.
N/A

port 25 blocked?

I tried using SMTP authentication, but still get it. I've also tried disabling zonealarm, and still get it Evil

Anyone know how to check, or open the port on the router? Its a BT Voyager 240 ADSL router/modem supplied by plusnet
N/A

port 25 blocked?

edit: just wanted to add, the email has been working fine, until last night when it came back on after the outage and nothing has been changed on my system.
N/A

port 25 blocked?

neal73,

just reading through the thread I noticed the error stated "neal73.plus.net"

Can you confirm that your are logging in with neal73.plus.com and not .net?

You may be getting a rejected logon if those details are incorrect.
N/A

port 25 blocked?

No, thats just the name I gave the account in OE - the settings are plus.com
N/A

port 25 blocked?

Just to confirm.

i may have replicated your problem by wrongly setting my email address to .plus.net

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Test', Account: 'mail.plus.net', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Is this looking like a probable cause?
N/A

port 25 blocked?

Ok,

we had a cross post there.

it would appear that your mail client is erroring due to improper config or corruption.

Which client are you using?
N/A

port 25 blocked?

Outlook Express 6, but I tried installing Mozilla Thunderbird and got a SMTP problem message come up with that too.

I've checked all the setting 101 times now, and they're all as they're supposed to be, and as they were when it was working fine 2 days ago!!

So far I've closed zonelarm and AVG, so the only other thing left to do is to disable the firewall on my router to check thats not the problem - anyone know how to do this on a BT voyager 240?
N/A

port 25 blocked?

Strange - without changing a thing its suddenly started to work!! god knows what happened there then.