cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor speeds

N/A

poor speeds

for the last few days my speeds have been really slow.when i do a bt test it says
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5248 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3492 kbps
I am not sure what this means but i presume its saying i should be able to d/load at349kbs when in fact on usenet im only able to d/load at 78.3kbs
my husbands plays final fantasy online and he is having problems staying connected to it too as the speeds are so slow[/img]
16 REPLIES
James
Grafter

poor speeds

Hi,

Usenet speeds last night will have been related to the gateway problems we've been talking about already today.
N/A

ps

sorry i should also add that the router which is a netgear dg834 is connected directly to the main and only bt socket via a filter
James
Grafter

poor speeds

Good, best set up for you to have.

My earlier point stands Smiley
N/A

poor speeds

thanx for the reply but what about usenet speeds today the screen shot was taken about 15 mins ago
James
Grafter

poor speeds

Have you rebooted?

What does http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway show?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

poor speeds

Are you on BB+, PAYG or Premier?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

poor speeds

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse East, Juniper 4" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag2.
and yes prior to the screen shot all the elctric in the house was off for an hour due to us having an electrician in doing checks on our electrics and im on bb premier
Community Veteran

poor speeds

Usenet on Premier is in the silver queue. On PAYG it is in the Gold queue so if your total usage is not that high it may be worth switching. See post here for price comparison.
N/A

poor speeds

i do not think PAYG would be any good for me as my usage this month which started on the 29th so far is
Peak usage: 2.29GB
Off-peak usage: 33.22GB
Total usage: 35.51GB
i have to go out for a bit so will read your reply when i get back ty
James
Grafter

poor speeds

Depends entirely on when your offf-peak usage is being accumulated.
Community Veteran

poor speeds

The off peak periods for Premier and PAYG are very different.

Premier Midnight to 4pm
PAYG Midnight to 8am

If you can schedule most of your usage to overnight (I set off BNR after midnight and set it to turn off the computer when completed) then PAYG is worth looking at.
N/A

poor speeds

just want to say this still does not explain why my speeds are so slow at the moment and also what is the point of a usage allowance anyway during peak times because our speeds at peak times are greatly reduced these days even if we keep under the 13 gig allowance before restrictions are supposed to come in i would hate to see what my speeds were if i went over the 13 gig as at the moment if i try and sent or recieve a file at peak times im lucky to get 5kbs
N/A

poor speeds

I'm having the same problems.

Speeds test shows I can download at 752k, but when I'm downloading from usenet I'm only getting 60-80k

I have reached level 1 of my allowance but that shouldnt effect my off peak download speeds.
Firejack
Grafter

poor speeds

The network is full between around 9am and 3am. So off-peak is only effectively between 3am and 9am now.
I've *never* gone over my peak-time allowance yet my connection has been useless for 90% of my internet usage for the last 2/3 months. Got to the point where I can't actually use the amount of allowance I'm given on Premier so I'm downgrading to PAYG.
Insane that I'm having to downgrade my subscription to get better performance. You usually pay more to get more :roll: