cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet was right...

lank111
Grafter

plusnet was right...

plusnet said ages ago, ISP cannot offer unlimited bandwidth without suffering financal problems.

Everyone said bull++++, look at Zen, they charge a little bit more to have a powerful service,

well well well, Zen still are the best isp, costing a little bit more BUT they no longer offer unlimited, a report states that a few of the users are extream downloaders, downloading 24/7, week after week, cost zen hundards of pounds a month each.
so a usage of 100Gig a month is imposed!

so plusnet was right, the cheaper the isp charges, the lower the qulity and download limit.

plusnet are mid ranged, and it service reflects that.
Same with Zen and V21 (haha i feel for their users)
18 REPLIES
Andrea2006
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Lol.. Plus.net has always been good to me, with maybe a few hitches, which was always sorted.. Dont think i would ever change, whether they were cheaper or not.
Mand
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Unfortunately the times of truly unlimited broadband for a fixed price are pretty much over.

Zen's 8MB package has had a FUP/allowance for some time now, and the changes to the fixed rate products were announced a little while ago.
Ianwild
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Yep - While wholesale costs are around £210 per Mbps per month, ISPs are going to be faced with a big challenge.

One can speculate that, in terms of many suppliers in the industry, there is still more to come for the ISPs who have not done the work to limit their exposure already.

Ian
N/A

plusnet was right...

i knew Zen wold do this .. reel in the customers with 'free unlimted BB' *cough* then slap limits on later once they have you hooked.
abit like charges with credit cards no ?.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

plusnet was right...

well well well, Zen still are the best isp, costing a little bit more BUT they no longer offer unlimited, a report states that a few of the users are extream downloaders, downloading 24/7, week after week, cost zen hundards of pounds a month each.
so a usage of 100Gig a month is imposed!

Zen have had these limits in place for some time now (an average zen user won't get any where near these limits), but it needs to be said they are still one of the best uk isp's.

It's not the usage limits which hamper plusnet when comparing to zen or any other respectable isp, it's the constant 'speed of service' issues which are a recurring nightmare for any plusnet customer.

Yes, plusnet may charge slightly less for the service but when you actually compare the service you recieve for your money (ie, speed), not to mention traffic shaping and the unbelievable on/off peak situation (P2P only useable from 4am - 6am),the service suddenly seems very expensive when compared to zen or indeed many others. I'm sure most would pay that little extra to recieve a true broadband experience

The failure to address this area is the main reason people are requesting mac's, I also feel once the deferred fee's are scrapped many more will be off to pastures new.

It's a shame but it's the reality of the service at the moment
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

plusnet was right...

The speeds on Zen have been pretty poor for a good few months now, which I guess is why they are introducing limits on them all now. If you have a look at the Zen forums on TB there are quite a lot of complaints about them.

Phil
shellsong
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Unfortunately the times of truly unlimited broadband for a fixed price are pretty much over.

"Truly unlimited" never did really exist except as a figment of the imagination but "practically unlimited" is still alive and kicking at the moment with at least one UK ISP!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

plusnet was right...

I would love to know what "practically unlimited" means.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

plusnet was right...

It's called unlimited, but in practice it's nothing like?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnetsux
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

plusnet was right...

Just do the maths, constant 6Mbps throughput at about £210 per Mbps is going to cost more than 15 times the price of these packages. Even a constant 1Mbps is more than double.
tcs2000
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Am on BB+ at £14.99 a month and just taken a look at Zen.
Very disappointing.
£15.31 EXCL VAT
2gb Allowance
Plusnet has it's faults I know, but I'd rather stay with Plusnet!
gswindale
Grafter

plusnet was right...

They might be unlimited products, but the cost is certainly a limiting factor for most people.
MrToast
Grafter

plusnet was right...

Unfortunately the times of truly unlimited broadband for a fixed price are pretty much over...

But surely its a good thing?

1. I don't want to pay for the profligate users.

2. Without a link between usage and charges users won't put a value on what they are using and we end up with a clogged network whatever its capacity.