Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet trial to televise bbc1 etc

N/A

27 REPLIES
N/A

I haven't read the article, but I assume that it refers to the ongoing BBC Multicast trials. Details of which can be found here and here.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

As I understand it this is an extension of the original trial to include BBC1 and BBC2 as well. Take a look at the links sietchtabr's posted, and if your hardware is compatible you can sign up for the trial at

http://ccgi.bobpullen.com/multicasting
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I've been trying to get onto the trial for some weeks now. Filled out my details twice - but no response from Bob?

I do see on another thread that Bob is trying to get up to date?

If Bob really is too busy to add the triallists or the Network ain't up to it, I'd suggest that you stop advertising the service?

Maurice
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnet don't advertise the service.

The Usergroup provide information about it being available, which it is, and Plusnet are listed as an ISP wihch is trialling this with the beeb.

Where do you see Plusnet advertising this?
Community Veteran

There was something in todays grauniad and it says Plusnet support it on the BBC website.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser

Plusnet don't advertise the service.

The Usergroup provide information about it being available, which it is, and Plusnet are listed as an ISP wihch is trialling this with the beeb.

Where do you see Plusnet advertising this?

True it is not advertised to the general user base, but when it is brought up as in the BBC multicast thread the Comms Team give details of how to apply for the service. Usually quoting the link in PUG. Is this advertising?

I'm not trying to be negative here - the opposite! If Plusnet claim that a trial is available and publish the details freely, then they get stick for not delivering. If it's placing an overload on Bob - keep schtum till it can be dealt with in a reasonable timescale.

Sure I'd like to test the service - but it isn't highly urgent at the moment, but not getting a response to my request (positive or negative) is annoying.

There are enough real problems at the moment for the team not to need any additional hassle?

Maurice[/url]
lank111
Grafter

its a Trial!
e.g!
a Test
In Planning

and therefore should be seen as a trial!
Timescale's may not be met as its in testing....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Multicasting is a trial yes, and in the last couple of weeks interest in taking part in the trial has snowballed. Up until then there was only a few dozen on the trial but we've had a good couple of hundred put their names down in the last week. That's slowed down the setup because it's so far been a manual process to activate people for the trial. We are looking at automating this and Bob's working through the current applications but unfortunately it may take a little while to get back to everyone.
lank111
Grafter

No worrie's
MrToast
Grafter

I guess that now the BBC have stepped up the publicity for the trial and included ITV the requests for Multicast enablement are bound to rocket.

Apart from multicast itself the BBC are also trialing the use of alternative codecs including the non -proprietary H264.

The BBC page for info is http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/index.shtml
JonathanW
Grafter

Yes, there has been a flood of requests recently and these are being worked through as swiftly as possible. We're also working on getting some more tools in place to make processing these quicker as there are going to be more requests coming in with all of the publication.
N/A

Been a few weeks here since I last heard from Bob Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

We're in the process of automating the multicast trial and Bob's trying to catch up with all the people that have contacted him about joining the trial. Give us a little time and we'll get an update out.
lank111
Grafter

can the people waiting the longest be put first on the list!
Every one is talking about it and cant wait till my account gets enabled!
2 weeks and a few days so far!