Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet realms

lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

Hi,
Don't isp's who have meny realm's, have more then one dsl supplier?
E.g one for each supplier

@plus.net
@plusdsl.net
@plusnet.co.uk

(a Realm is the last part of your username needed to log onto the BT RAS)
As i know, plusnet supply's their own broadband from their own network and not from a supplier like Netservices PLC or Brightview
So whats the difference? why not stay the same?

Also is it ture that,
Say, a customer order's ADSL from plusnet but plusnet don't have any customers or VP's on his exchange, they will need to order a VP to link his exchange to plusnets network? Thus meaning if plusnet only had one or a couple of user's on the exchange in question.
The VP to plusnet would be fast and not running to is full capsity!

Or dose every isp share VP's?Huh
14 REPLIES
N/A

plusnet realms

Would this problem give the error, the remote computer did not respond? As thats the problem im having from home Sad ?
LiamM
Grafter

plusnet realms

I too am interested in why this is the case.

I know that you can steer different realms to different parts of the network.... but i dont think Plusnet do this.
lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

i know, when i saw that plusnet had different realm, i was confused!

Problem's with Remote computers timing out could be one of meny things!

The remote computer could be at your exchange, at BT RAS, At Plusnets RAS?
Could be anything.

Reason i ask this question, is that the realm set up is dodgy!
Like,
PN's own network
or PN's suppliers
Or just a point to different access points of the network.
JonathanW
Grafter

plusnet realms

With regards to the realms, we used to use @plus.net for regular PlusNet customers, though this was changed at some point to @plusdsl.net probably to reduce the number of issues caused when people think it's also their email address.

@plusnet.co.uk is used for PlusNetUk business customers, and is seperate to the other two.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

plusnet realms

Hi,

When BT first set up ADSL it was one realm per pipe. When we started offering ADSL we had a single 34Mbps pipe which had the plus.net realm. As the customer numbers increased we added a second 34Mbps pipe which had to have a different realm to the first, so we set up plusdsl.net.

As things moved on BT introduced two developments the first was "many to one" naming on realms. So we could set up plusnet.co.uk, f9.co.uk and freeonline.co.uk for plus.net.uk, F9 and FOL customers and point them at one of the 34Mbps pipes. The second thing they set up was "one to many" naming which meant we could then point each of the realms at every pipe we owned. As we switched from 34Mbps pipes to multiple 155's this became very handy because any customer on any realm could connect up on any pipe rather than being fixed to one particular pipe.
lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

Thanks for clearing that up!
Thats a very interesting setup!
Fair play!

Could you answer the VP Question?

Does Plusnet have to order their own VP to a customers exchange?
or all isp's share all VP's?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

plusnet realms

On IPStream all ISP's share a number of VP's from each exchange. The exact number and size will vary from exchange to exchange, but not something that ISP's have any real control over. The part we have control over is the number and size of the pipes between BT and ourselves, but everything up to that point travels across BT's ATM network as a mix of traffic for different ISP's.
lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

i know other isp's have try'd and test DataStream and IPStream and found IP Stream to be the better! as DataStream is costly!

But wouldn't Datastream be more quality than a BT Shared one?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

plusnet realms

Datastream can be better, or it can be worse it depends on how the ISP controls the VP's. With Datastream you can set the backhaul links to be pretty much any size you like (within certain limits), but the larger they are the more they cost. So if the usage at a particular exchange exceeds the budget of the VP's then customers start to see slowdowns, but unlike IPStream the ISP has to put their hands in their pockets to upgrade the VP size, and they can only do that so much before the cost exceeds the revenue.

Swings and roundabouts, however you provide connectivity bandwidth always costs money and the more bandwidth you provide the more it costs. The costings may be different between IPStream, Datastream (and LLU for that matter) but it's still the same idea that bandwidth is costly.
lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

i don't see why it is?
BT souldn't be allowed to set their bandwidth cost's that this price,
As its making it really hard to run and operate a decent service!

Fingers crossed this new 21st century network in a few year's time will change all that! Cnt wait for 24Mbit ADSL+2
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

plusnet realms

The problem is that BT have to set pricing across several competing services, IPStream, Datastream and LLU. A change in price on one of these has to be reflected with a similar change in the others - the old margin test.

Pricing will change, LLU is starting to take off, it's reaching 15,000 activations per week across all LLU ISP's, so as the economies of scale kick in there and as the faster speeds become available the cost will come down.
lank111
Grafter

plusnet realms

So its just a matter of time!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

plusnet realms

Yep, a decrease in the wholesale pricing is a when and not an if.
Ommin
Grafter

plusnet realms

As we switched from 34Mbps pipes to multiple 155's this became very handy because any customer on any realm could connect up on any pipe rather than being fixed to one particular pipe.

Am I missing something here Dave or is it the case that those of us pointed at the Metronet 155 pipe are in fact fixed to one pipe?