cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet mailserver blacklisted by DNSBL

chenks
Dabbler

hmm... it appears that a plusnet mailserver(s) are on a DNS blacklist.

my mail server uses "t1.dnsbl.net.au" amongst others to filter spam.

i sent an email from my plusnet account to my own account on my mailserver and the email got rejected by t1.dnsbl.net.au.

any official plusnet person care to comment on this ?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi Chenks,

This is nothing new - SORBS is known to be a royal pain when it comes to blacklisting ISP's, and this has been discussed on several occasions in the past. No one mail system should rely on SORBS totally, as it's known to be wrong at times.

Allow me to link you to some of them....

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46285

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51437

and here...
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36243

Oh.. and a google search on "sorbs blacklisting" returned this as one of many results.

http://foo-projects.org/node/27

So.. you will see, there is plenty wrong with SORBS.

Regards,

Roger.
chenks
Dabbler

whether the blacklisting is right or wrong is not really the issue.

plusnet should request it be removed from the blacklist.

if it's not reported then it won't be removed. i am reporting it.
Community Veteran

Chenks,

The trouble is, that Plusnet have reported it on numerous occasions and have had very little positive response from SORBS themselves and always want $50 to de-list each IP address concerned.. I think that PN have pretty much given up trying to get their IP addresses de-listed.

It only takes 1 report of alleged Spam to hit SORBS and they automatically list it, so realistically speaking, there's not much anyone can do, and I don't think that will ever change.
Community Veteran

As Roger says SORBS blacks list, are nothing short of blackmail.

If PlusNet get them to remove it today, it will be back tomorrow!

Chilly
chenks
Dabbler

if it will be back on it tomorrow, then surely there is spam being sent from plusnet servers.

in which case, why isn't the source being traced and blocked.
gswindale
Grafter

if it will be back on it tomorrow, then surely there is spam being sent from plusnet servers.

in which case, why isn't the source being traced and blocked.

Did you not read the earlier post?
It only takes 1 report of alleged Spam to hit SORBS and they automatically list it.

Note the word alleged. If some other internet user believes that something is spam being sent from Plus, then regardless of whether or not it is will result in the blacklisting.
chenks
Dabbler

i have read all the posts.

i very much doubt that people out there are picking on plusnet and fraudulenty submitting plusnet mailsever IPs to spam blacklists.

if it is being added and re-added all the time, then surely spam email IS originating from them.

the link showing that gmail has been added at times is really no surprise. it is afterall a free mail service and i would expect spam to originate from it.

the difference here is that i PAY for the service from plusnet, so i would expect them to do whatever it required to stop the service they provide being limited.

they should ensure that no spam originates from their mailsevers full stop. and if any spam does originate, then it should be easy enough for them to see which account is came from and close it.
gswindale
Grafter

But, it depends on your definition of SPAM doesn't it. If, for instance, a business user of Plus is sending a mailing to a number of his current/ex customers, one of those may have signed up to the mailing list accidentally. Thus they believe that our PlusNet business user is spamming them. They then decide to report it to SORBS and PlusNet are blocked. No actual spam was sent as the user in question was sending a legitimate email to a number of customers, and neither is somebody fraudultenly submitting PlusNet's server IPS to the blacklists as they did believe it was spam due to user error in the past.

Where I work, we're about to undergo a major rebranding which will require me to notify many people of a change of email address. The quickest way to do this will be to send out a bulk e-mail to all of my contacts. It maybe that I will pick up some addresses that are no longer relevant. This is a perfectly legit email, but could cause problems.
Community Veteran

Chenks,

We could be here all night debating this.

they should ensure that no spam originates from their mailsevers full stop. and if any spam does originate, then it should be easy enough for them to see which account is came from and close it.

Plusnet do everything possible to prevent spam emanating from their network, which is why their servers are not open relays, you cannot send mail via POP3 unless you are authenticated via Plusnets' servers.

As you might be aware, it is very easy to spoof a IP address, and fool any system into thinking it's come from a specific server, hence some spam houses will find addresses that have been previously listed and de-listed in DNSBL databases and will often attempt to re-use them indiscriminately, they don't care who the ISP or mxcore belongs to, they are doing just that - spamming.

I can assure you that Plusnet DO deal with accounts who send spam very seriously as part of their Acceptable Use Policy.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you could be here all night moaning about it, it's not going to change a thing.

Roger.
Liam
Grafter

Yup, dealing with abuse reports is a full-time job for networks and it's generally spam being generated by customers who have a virus or such like. We do not operate open relays. We do proactively contact customers where we detect this sort of thing happening and we do disable relay access quite a lot, where necessary.

What has been said above is true, especially of SORBS. We monitor blacklists for our servers and contact them to request removal where we notice we have been listed. SORBS are not widely recognised anymore as a genuine or quality source of reliable data due to the way in which they now operate (i.e. charging you to remove the listing).

Furthermore, you should never operate a mail server environment that drops mail purely on the basis of a listing like this. The way it should be operated is with weightings to detect spam, and a listing on a blacklist database would add a certain weighting to something already suspected as spam.
N/A

I believe PN allow users to host their own mail servers and relay them through the PN servers. I doubt if all the servers are patched up to the current patch level ect. Let me know if this is untrue as it is something that I was led to believe was possible the PN
Liam
Grafter

Running an open mailserver which relays through out relay servers is against the AUP and we're very strict about that.

You are able to use a mailserver to directly send mail (i.e. not via our relays) but then it's up to you if your IP gets blocked. That wouldn't affect other customers though, just mail generated from that customer's IP.
N/A

but surely if there have been more than one they whole IP address range belonging to the sender ie Plusnet would become blacklisted