cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet broadband - dont signup!!

N/A

I am writing this to inform those who are interested about plus.net.

I signed up for unlimited download broadband with plusnet in setember 2005.

But over the months I have found the following.

P2P is capped. Meaning you dont get a full speed broadband service for P2P.

Also general downloading is capped to 5GB. When you go beyond this limit your service is throttled to the same speed as P2P downloading - which is incredibly slow. And there is an ultimate download limit of 6GB.

Having repeatedly contacted them via their web interface to ask to leave, I can report the following.

You are locked into a very restrictive and costly contract. First, it was claimed when I signed-up that connection was a free setup. It's not. The connection cost is as they euthamisticaly term "defered". This means that even if you stay a full year with plusnet, then cancel the contract, you are then charged the setup cost.

In addition, if you want to leave before the year is over, you are charged for the remaining year plus the setup cost.

They will not in any way do the decent thing and allow someone who is unhappy with their service to leave without making them pay.

They swear that black is white, and whatever you signed up for - you had not.

My advice is not to have anything to do with www.plus.net.
138 REPLIES
N/A

We are in agreement

I have just recieved an email stating that my account will be limited for the remainder of the month. When I looked for an ISP I only compared unlimited accounts. Either plusnet have changed their terms and conditions or have started to enforce rules which they never used to.

Prior to signing up I checked this forum and was reassured that nobody was complaining of limited accounts. Today I see loads of people who are irrate about this 'management'.

I suggest that we all come together if Plusnet do not either scrap this management of our accounts or let us out of our contracts to move to other ISPs that will continue to offer unlimited accounts.

If we can unite in numbers then Plusnet will have to listen. If they will not then we should look to give them as much bad publicity surrounding this via newsgroups, forums etc.

If you are unhappy, send me your email address!

aidan@thebrees.co.uk
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Firstly, we have not advertised any of our accounts as being unlimited for well over a year.

We also changed our terms and conditions in August to make this clear, and emailed every single one of out customers about this giving them 14 days to reject the T&C's and leave us.

The management at the moment isn't perfect, but is absolutely neccessary to provide a quality service that is sustainable. The way we are managing our network hadn't been done by anyone before at the time we started it so it has been a steep learning curve for us. We are still working on perfecting this management and are hoping that by the end of next month it will be fully automated and will run a lot smoother than it does at present.
N/A

it is amazing how plusnet think that communication with their users is a silly idea, when the idea came up to email all the users about how traffic shapping would effect them the response it would be too much effort as it would only effect 1-10% of the users, yet, we are starting to see these people appear on the forum ( 1 or 2 posts) all going "WTF!!!!" wow plusnet, it seems communication WOULD have been a good idea after all. (and im not talking about that SINGLE email you sent out last year about the T+Cs since then you have changed a hell of a a lot of sutff.
N/A

In addition, I made a complaint and asked to leave within the specified time when plusnet introduced a cut-off period

The reason being is that plusnet have in the contract that if anything is introduced by plusnet which could and does affect the service detrimentally then you can ask to leave within the time limit. Is not a cut-off period a disadvantage.

I tried to take advantage of this and followed procedure to leave. They refused to allow me to leave.

Plusnet are bad. They will force you to the letter of the contract but when it comes to them doing the same they become coy.
N/A

Whether you state that you have not 'advertised' unlimited usage or not, the description of the premier account stated that it was for heavy downloads and therefore would be worth paying extra for. I think it is unfair to change the T&Cs in August and then not implement the changes until January, by which time the 14 days have elapsed. If you had done this within the 14 days then I would have cancelled.

I do not want to be subscribed to a 'Test' network. I pay a subscription for a service and not to be subjected to the 'steep learning curve' of my provider.

Will Plusnet cancel our accounts?
___oDiN__
Grafter

you signed up to a yearly contract

you took out deffered activation and modem

you didnt read the t&c and the activation small print by the look of it

why would plusnet allow you to leave without paying back money they have paid on you behalf it would make very poor business practice to do so and seeing as you only pay 14.99 for 5gb a month soft cap and 50gb 12am to 8am you are actually getting a good deal compaired to other isp in the simular and higher price package BT charge 17.99 for the basic package which has 1gb cap
wanadoos 8mb package advertised at 14.99 at the moment has 2gb limit so id suggest you look around at the packages and the limits they offer i think you will find your not getting such a duff deal from plusnet after all, and remeber that even when yo go over the 5gb you can still use the service all be it at a reduced speed where a hard cap wouldnt allow it !
N/A

odinsrealm

Are you a plusnet representative?

I do not wish to compare with your select group of ISPs. I will not be interested in how other ISPs operate until Plusnet cancel my contact at which time I will only compare unlimited accounts.
N/A

@brightone.

That has to be one of the most innacurate posts I have seen on these boards for quite some time. Your comments bear no resemblance to reality or the true nature of Plus Net broadband.

Also general downloading is capped to 5GB. When you go beyond this limit your service is throttled to the same speed as P2P downloading - which is incredibly slow. And there is an ultimate download limit of 6GB.

That statement is wholly inaccurate and completely untrue. To make such a general and sweeping statement is incredible to say the least.

It is completely unhelpful to the forum community when people make posts of this nature.

I would strongly recommend that you at least attempt to grasp the facts of the situation before making such misleading and sweeping statements in future.
N/A

Other isp's allow unlimited download and if they don't its stated up front. I browsed the internet looking for an unlimited download provider. This how I came across plusnet. This is why I signed up with plusnet. At the time it seemed like a good deal.

I do understand english. And like many other people in this country I have a degree - plenty of writing essays and stuff like that.

Plusnet have changed the contract without informing at least myself and I guess others.

Do the decent thing and allow me to leave.
N/A

That has to be one of the most innacurate posts I have seen on these boards for quite some time. Your comments bear no resemblance to reality or the true nature of Plus Net broadband.

Reality is relative. My reality is different to yours. What has hapenned to myself, has happened. There is nothing inaccurate in what I write - apart from maybe the spelling on occasion.

And what about this clause in the contract which allows one to leave is plunet introduce something which is detrimental to the service?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

... the response it would be too much effort as it would only effect 1-10% of the users....

It wouldn't have taken much effort to send the emails, however it would have had a huge impact on the CSC with many many people calling up and raising tickets about something that will never affect them.

There are still some ISPs that allow unlimited downloading, however this number is reducing and will continue to do so. We've already seen companies like ecipse and Freedom2Surf be bought out because of this and other companies like pipex and IDNet adding limitations to there services.

Unlimited broadband in this country is not sustainable, and as a business we cannot exist without sustainable products. At the end of the day, no profit = no business, and going out of business won't help our customers at all.
___oDiN__
Grafter

odinsrealm

Are you a plusnet representative?

I do not wish to compare with your select group of ISPs. I will not be interested in how other ISPs operate until Plusnet cancel my contact at which time I will only compare unlimited accounts.

lol no im not
im just stating some information to you thats all
your claiming your getting such a bum deal from plusnet, im just pointing out that 2 of the main isps BT and wanadoo offer much less for more money in the case of bt and i do not see why plusnet should release you from your 1 year contract because you now decide your not happy with what you get for 14.99

thats all

i for one will continue to recommend plusnet and but i will make sure users are aware of the restrictions of the + package and the terms, but most people are content with the constraints of the package and can of course upgrade to premier if thier usage needs increase (i am on 2mb premier)
N/A

N/A

odinsrealm

I am on the Premier 2mb account! Your email is probably on its way to you!

I pay around 22 quid a month for a limited service