cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusNET is sweet!

N/A

plusNET is sweet!

Sorry to go against the grain but I have about eight broadband PN accounts (Five at work and three at home - just signed up my mum!) and it all works very solid and reliable... Been a customer for about five years now, and sure, I am NOT a demanding customer just doing HTTP, email etc... It seems to do the basics very well and the support works well (Just had an account issue sorted within 48Hrs).

At least plusNET tries hard (and I can still say this with my personal Usenet having been down for a week - but tish/tosh I can use Google...) I havent posted a ticket on this as I know its a general problem and is not *very* important to me...

I hope whoever takes them on does not just assimilate them into a rubbish customer services outfit (There are *so* many out there!).

Watching this space....
(And no I don't have any shares in PN!)

I give them ***** (Thats 5 stars :!: ), why? , because they have been totally OFF my problem radar for the last tweve months and for me that counts for something (actually quite a lot in IT terms...)

Good luck ye all,

Stef
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

plusNET is sweet!

I am NOT a demanding customer just doing HTTP, email etc...

I think you've answered your own question as to why you've had no problems with PlusNet
N/A

plusNET is sweet!

how did this guy managed to not be affected by the email problemsHuh Evil
N/A

plusNET is sweet!

Could be that he runs his own SMTP server, so doesn't use PN for anything other than outgoing relay I guess.
N/A

plusNET is sweet!

Well I was happy as I got decent enough pings in online games and my speed always seemed reliable. But I like to use bitorrent every now an then maybe 2gig download a month for usa tv shows but the speed is horrible so that why I got a mac key and unfortunately are goin move.
But apart from that Plusnet on the whole has been good for my needs as well.
Stef
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

how did this guy managed to not be affected by the email problemsHuh Evil

I gave up using ISP email a long time ago. I use our own server for work email and Gmail + Hosted Email (1&1) for personal use - much more flexible and reliable (I used Metronet "P995" in the interim).

Even if I had continued to use PN email I would make sure I downloaded it several time/week at least (Servers *do* go down!)

I am also very interested in other 'value added' services such as OpenDNS (with phishing protection!) although I havn't had any DNS problems from PN to speak of...

I have found PN connectivity and speeds excellent for HTTP/HTTPS and email transport, I also got a number of free speed upgrades (from 500k to 2M for nowt). As we use at least two other ISP's at work I can tell you that we got no free speed upgrades from them... and my experience has been that PN is reliable as the other two we use (Zen & Demon).

I am not into streaming much (other than occasional Audio) and dont do P&P although a relative of mine does do this at night with no probs...

My view is that, with Broadband, customer expections are just slightly ahead of the technologies ability to deliver. And where VOD & PtoP is concerned I think the industry has just set customer expectations entirly wrong...

Stef
N/A

plusNET is sweet!

wow!!!!! I wish my experience was the same

I've been without broadband for 7 weeks now and am currently trying to get back on ipStream rather than the very incompetently run Tiscali LLU (who apparently will only commutate with PlusNet though email which really draws out the fault process :s)

Anyway gl and hopefully you will never run into similar problems :p
Stef
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

Yea, I don't deny that others have had big problems with PN and this LLU thing and it is not just a PN thing but an INDUSTRY fiasco in my opinion (Just read up on Carphone Warehouse!)

It will come right but my guess is it may take another 24 months for things to settle down.

Now here's a question: Can BT Retail do its own LLU? (Or is that a contradiction in terms!) Now if BT got together with PN and could do its own LLUHuh Could PN become BT Retail's "LLU" arm? ooh err missis...

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
loony
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

I agree with you margaret, i am a happy plusnet customer.
i mostly play games and some downloading up to about 10 GB a month with occasional file sharing.

once my speed issue is resolved it will be back to normal for me.
The nice thing about PlusNet IMO is that, ok they have various problems now but if the past is anything to go by, they will get these problems sorted eventually (fingers crossed)

i "was" thinking of migrating soon, but i dont think(after reading reviews on other ISP's)anyone offers a truly fault free service currently due to what seems to be a national problem with speed increases.
N/A

plusNET is sweet!

Or maybe he's just on here to sing praises to PN to make them look good, due to all the negatives that have been on the forums just lately.....
craiglay
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

I too am a happy customer downloading about 8-10GB a month peak time. I occasionally use p2p and haven't really seen any problems. I have 8Meg, sync at 8Meg and regularly speedtest at 6Meg, even at peak time so am happy.

I never trusted IMAP for email, even on the university network so have always used POP so i never lost any emails Cheesy

I also think that until an LLU operator gets a good ASDL (2+ would be preferable) package together, things are really not going to improve. Unfortunately, it seems there are 2 major starters, Sky and Carphone Warehouse, both of which I'd rather not be with. (Nothing is free!! There is always a catch)

@antrobus6: The forum represents a very small amount of the userbase and you will probably see similar in other ISP's forums
Stef
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

I agree with you margaret, i am a happy plusnet customer.
i mostly play games and some downloading up to about 10 GB a month with occasional file sharing.

Shockedops: Actually Margaret is my Mum Shockedops: I am just in the process of setting up Broadband for her and forgot to change accounts Shockedops:

Thats three blushes for now!

Wink

Stef
(Son of Margaret!)
Stef
Grafter

plusNET is sweet!

I too am a happy customer downloading about 8-10GB a month peak time. I occasionally use p2p and haven't really seen any problems. I have 8Meg, sync at 8Meg and regularly speedtest at 6Meg, even at peak time so am happy.

I never trusted IMAP for email, even on the university network so have always used POP so i never lost any emails Cheesy

I use Gmail for dross I wouldn't worry if I lost. I never got the hang of/fully trusted IMAP either... I agree if you use POP3 and regularly download you can't go too far wrong... (So long as you back up your PC once/month Wink )