cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plain and simple please!!

N/A

why is my broadband suddenly become slower than the dial up i had 2years ago. just changed to plusnet in the last month and other than this have been quite impressed!
seems to be a lot of very knowedgble people of here but iam ain't one of them so keep it simple please.
ta
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You don't give enough info for anyone to help you.

What speed are you synced at?

Are you on MaxDSL? If so, for how long and what is your stable rate set to?

What speeds were you getting and what do you get now?

What are you using to determin your speeds?

What does the BT Speed test say your speeds are and how does that compare with what you think you are getting?

What does the BTO HTTP download test give you?

What ADSL equipment do you use?

Does your ADSL equipment supply line stats? if so, post them here.

What does the Usertools exchange checker report your VP status is for your line?
N/A

Peter, you seem to have not read the post correctly. Plain and simple?
Community Veteran

Diagnosing speed related problms is neither plain or simple to do Wink
N/A

How do you know if you are on "maxdsl"?
Community Veteran

1) you raise a question and ask PN?
2) you were one of the few that actually received an email telling you you were upgraded
3) you are syncing at higher than 2272Kbs down or 288Kbs up
4) You run a BT speedtest that reports a downstream speed > 2Mbs
N/A

sorry to hijack panda's thread.

I have a speed related question open since Sunday as I am down to less than 100k connection.

No e-mail.

Can't tell what I am synching, as I plug a router into the BT socket, my PC tells me 100.0mbps.

No one seems to care about Customer Support at PN. I had a month long battle over changing my direct debit a couple of months ago, it really is to much to have spend time on here at this hour trying to resolve a simple issue!
N/A

sorry but that is all just like a giraffes testicles.........way over my head.
i am using a buffallo wireless airstation which i set up myself more by luck than anything. i miss not being able to run my pointer over the little flashing screens to see what speed i have.
tell me where i can find some of that info and i will gladly pass it on.
on another thread i started yesterday someone direcred me to a bt speed tester. that was a total waste of as i am did not understand a word of it. change dns, blah blah blah
all i want is to surf with a reasonable speed.
Community Veteran

Before PN can raise any kind of speed related problem with BT you must be able to run the BT speed test at least 3 times so you need to read your routers manual to know how to change the login/pass details. Changing the DNS settings is not required if you use the IP addresses in the tutorial.

I have included links to some of the other things you need to check.
N/A

and lo...the very reason i moved from bt to plusnet the dreaded line drop has suddenly appeared on plusnet. 8 times in 20 mins
woe is me
N/A

Peter, the "stable rate" link you posted has always taken me to a page called "Connection Settings" which tells me that "your current broadband speed is 8000 kbs".

This is obviously not true, and I'm not on MaxDSL yet, so it could be misleading to other people, surely?
joncooper
Grafter

from the "stable rate" link ~

If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

Hahahahaha! If I could disconnect and reconnect just once a day for 3 days I'd be a happy punter!

(disconnections are such a way of life here that even my 8yo knows how to reconnect now - never loses sync, just the +net connection)
N/A

when i run a pn speedtest it tells me that according to their records i should be faster abd to check my connection settings. as i don't know wher they are or what they should be this all seems a bit pointless.
all i want is a reasonable speed with few line drops i promise i won't bother anyone again.