cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pings to uk servers

N/A

pings to uk servers

any opinions as to what decent pings should be to servers within uk?

am averaging about 60 to a halo server @ clanservers.com and am wondering if this is ok or not...am thinking "not"... :?

also suffering from ping timeouts on tracert graphs when connected to this server which results in lag during gameplay...most ping timeouts are within PN and hops before clanservers.com...anyone else suffering from such lag spikes? not expecting any solutions....but hey, if u have... Smiley

thx
16 REPLIES
hitachi
Grafter

pings to uk servers

Try posting a contact us ticket about the problem,if it is a game not on plusnets list it may be classed as p2p or something and being deprioritised. A game I play a lot is not coming up as gaming on the new vmbu but I have some p2p showing although I dont use it at all.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Also check out the thread on gaming issues and the related thread on ping spikes and packet loss.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Hi zensou

if you are getting 60 for a US based server thats good.

Command prompt pings rarely, if ever, tell the whole story.

You join any popular CS:S server in Europe, and you will be able to pick out the Plusnet customers. That is the primary reason I'm leaving this sinking ship of an ISnP. There's been intermittent gaming problems for months, with no end in sight.

Funny thing is, I used to have lower pings than my friends who live closer to the server than I do; those days are well gone.
N/A

pings to uk servers

engnet

if it were a us server id be most impressed - unfortunately it is a GB server Sad

have also raised a ticket 2 see if that will get me anywhere...

also know about the perennial dodgy gateway problem...but it doesnt matter which gateway im using, the pings are always around 60ish, plus loverly lag spikes...
N/A

pings to uk servers

Yep sorry miss read the original post.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Command prompt pings rarely, if ever, tell the whole story.

indeed.

am not using cmdline tracert - using hlsw tracert facility which shows the average pings and the loverly red spikes.

also tried dan elwells speedtests which shows below-par performance on uk servers
N/A

pings to uk servers

Clanservers.com seems to be american based?

Any server in the UK or most of europe on halo at least you should get a ping between 34 and 73. Anything over 100 is going to be "not favourable" and anything over 160 and you'll start to see warping etc.

I dont recall I've ever seen a halo player with a ping in game of lower than 34 to be honest. Apart from the "0" hosting people that is.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

pings to uk servers

Hi,

Is 60ms an in game ping or outside the game. In game is probably about what I'd expect, outside the game may be a little higher than some, but depending on your location in the country (for example ping times from Northern Ireland always seem to be 10ms or so higher than London pings) and where you the server you are pinging to is located it could be normal. Can you post a tracert, may be useful for others to post what they see as a comparison.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Clanservers.com seems to be american based?

I dont recall I've ever seen a halo player with a ping in game of lower than 34 to be honest. Apart from the "0" hosting people that is.

# they are an american company, but have servers in london and amsterdam.

# 34 would be fine...but its the lag spikes in particular that are killing me in-game...just done a tracert with hlsw to the server:

http://quick.imgfree.net/34914

lag spikes in red... Cool
N/A

pings to uk servers

I have a theory that the ping spikes only occur on pte-ag1, pte-ag2 and thn-ag1 and hurt gaming badly. This may be aggravated by other shaping issues but I do not know for sure. I've got graphs showing spikes and loss on these three gateways for weeks as have others. Check out the packet loss thread I linked to. I was told it had been fixed but my own testing clearly shows it has not.
The worrying thing is that with MAxDSL being rolled out and the prospect of the session steering (which is currently only present on the three gateways mentioned) we could theoretically end up with a double-whammy for gamers.
I may be wrong, but have yet to see any evidence from PlusNet of an adequate investigation.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Hmm.. aren't those 2 american flags on 3 of the hops of that traceroute? It could just mean "american owned" or something, but that and the obvious spikes on them seems a litte....wrong.

I've done a tracert using that program to my clans server and i get the following:

http://www.mourby.plus.com/halolag.jpg

Try these two and see what you get from them

82.192.80.132:2440
82.192.80.132:2560
N/A

pings to uk servers

I have a theory that the ping spikes only occur on pte-ag1, pte-ag2 and thn-ag1 and hurt gaming badly.

these spikes were on ptn-ag2 :shock:

doesnt seem to matter what gateway im on....and some of the spikes are on hops after the initial gateway anyway
N/A

pings to uk servers

Okay, I just saw the traceroutes showing thn-ag1 from mourby. This may well be an entirely separate issue.
N/A

pings to uk servers

Hmm.. aren't those 2 american flags on 3 of the hops of that traceroute? It could just mean "american owned" or something, but that and the obvious spikes on them seems a litte....wrong.

yes...its an american owned company. the hops with the american flag are actually in london tho..

will try tracerts with ur servers - thx!! Cheesy