cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

peak-time usage

Maddy
Grafter

peak-time usage

I dont belive it, ive not used my broadband much for about 2 months, and then i desided to down load some things and i get this email:

Your peak-time usage for this billing month just exceeded 8GB.

Although this is not more than your allowance, we wanted to make you aware
of light restrictions to your connection speeds that come into force should
you reach 10GB. These restrictions help you to stay within your allowance,
and ensure that all customers receive the best possible quality of
service.

what a load of utter bollocks, sorry for the anger, but hay if i dont use it, but have paid for it then i should by rights be in credit? damn you +net and your silly rules about being fare to other users, oh and this bit makes me lough >> (and ensure that all customers receive the best possible quality of service.) utter utter crap i cannot remember when i had a descent game of Quake 3 because of crappy connections and high pings, sort it out +net or one day i will leave, not that it will bother you as you only think of new customers, anyway enough said, as you can see i am in a real bad mood.

good night

armran
46 REPLIES
N/A

Useage allowence

I am exactly in the same position and I am looking around to move to another provider> Fast4 is doing an unlimited uncapped service for £29.99. Can anyone here tell me why I shouldnt move?

EH
N/A

peak-time usage

Fast4, the small print...

There are two possible cut-off situations. If your computer has been inactive for 15 minutes or more, or you have been surfing online for 2 hours. If you would like to continue surfing after hours, you can reconnect immediately.

Fast4 operates on an unlimited Internet access basis with a 2 hour cut-off period. We also operate a 15:1 system contention ratio.(on top of the BT contention?).

If you have any technical issues you can call our helpful friendly Technical Support team on 0906 304 0904. Calls are charged at 50p per minute, lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Alternatively you can email them at technical@fast4.net.

If that's OK, fine, but you won't have an always-on connection. I wouldn't like to be disconnected every 2 hours.. something I remember from the bad old dial-up days.

You can get 50 GB at a big ISP for not much more than this one charges, and this one will probably have caps soon. I get the impression that they have so few ADSL customers that they can afford to give them unlimited, with disconnections every 2 hours while using the internet, and after 15 muinutes if you aren't uploading or downloading.

Just my opinion.
FooAtari
Grafter

peak-time usage

Another day, another usage post....

emad, basically because of how BT charge ISP's traffic management and restrictions are the future I'm afraid. But hey move to Fast4 if you like, if you are paying more, I would expect more, which is what you appear to be getting if you are on option 1 with Plus.

BUT always read the small print. Things may not be as the seem...

A quick scan about the community forum will give you more than a few discussions about this in the last couple of weeks with plenty of information.

I am a heavy user of the internet, but have had little problems. I schedual any large downloads and P2P downloads during off peak hours 12am - 4pm. I have had no problems with Xbox 360 and lag. Although I do little PC gaming these days.

I find, for the most part, Premier Option 1 to be good value. I would prefer if they traffic management limits were a little higer during peak times and also managed in a different way, and hopefully as speeds increase these things will come...

You might find some useful information here if you want to know more

There are a few posts here that explain how it works...

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=326758#326758

Here is another good post that explains why things are as they are

http://www.plusnetters.co.uk/forums//viewtopic.php?t=508

One more link to a discussion that explains a lot of things, and why resrictions are in place.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=325202#325202
N/A

Usage charged as peak when it wasn't

I have a different but related query: I am on broadband PAYG with 3GB per month peak usage inculded. I recently used some P2P software with a scheduler so that the download would begin at 11.59pm and end at 8.00am. The bulk of the download, however, is showing up as peak usage.

I am pretty sure that the scheduler was working and that it didn't start before then. Could the fact of a download beginning one minute before peak time mean that the whole download is registered as peak? Or could the plus net clock be working on GMT when the rest of us are on BST?

If anyone else has experienced something similar or has suggestions, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks
Simon
FooAtari
Grafter

peak-time usage

I haven't experienced this problem myself, but others have I think.

It might be worth setting the scheduler to start at 12.30 and finish at 7.30 or something to try and make sure there is no overlap.

What P2P client do you use? I would suggest utorrent Has a very easy to use schedular that works very well.
N/A

peak-time usage

What your saying makes sense ,but it is not just the useage allowance. I have been waiting for ADSL Max upgrade for ages despite the q jump and all that crap nothing happened. The are setting my current billing period from 22 May to 9 July, God only knows why. which means I have now used 10 GB and soon my speed is going to be restricted. I raised 2 tickets and look at what i have got.

[Support Wizard Journey]

[Additional Information]
Ask your Question here...
Why is my current billing month is from 22May to 9 July , Yet my useage allowance is that of a 1 months allowance?
Joe York CSC Agent 5:19pm, Thursday 15th June 2006

Dear Dr Hilal,
This is being caused by a problem that we are aware of, our engineers are investigating this fault and hope to have this resolved as soon as possible.

Regards,
Joe York

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
Your comment 6:33pm, Thursday 15th June 2006

Thank you
This does not really answer my question, I am afraid. I was billed on 13 June 06. You have sent me a notice on the usage area, saying I have exceeded 60 % of my allowance. Could you tell me how that is so, how much useage allowence I have in this billing month and how much allownce I have left? I hope your answer will be more than the standard line you gave me before.

EH
Mike Holmes CSC Agent 6:35pm, Friday 16th June 2006

Dear Dr Hilal,
This has been caused by a problem with VMBU. Our networks team are looking into this as a matter of urgency.

Please accept our apologies and assurance that this will be resolved shortly.

Regards,
Mike Holmes

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit
N/A

peak-time usage

There have been a number of threads related to the VMBU not resetting at the beginning of a new billing period.
It appears that if Plus are aware of it, that restrictions aren't applied providing you don't go over your limit for the real billing month, although the VMBU tool says that they have been.

This is only from OP posts, I don't have any personal knowledge of it.
I think I read that this was affecting 15 customers. Which means that presumably you are one of the 15.

The VMBU problem has been an ongoing one for some time now.

Maybe one of thos nice CS people will look at this thread and give more information?
N/A

peak-time usage

They did not say that restrictions would not apply and I have better things to do with my time than keep looking at the useage area. I would rather pay more for a better quality serve all around, and by the way how the hell do they expect me to know what the VMBU is?
EH
N/A

peak-time usage

simontaylor, there are known issues with the logging of usage between 0000 and 0800 due to the way PN get the data in blocks from BT. The upshot of this IME is that you simply cannot say beforehand if usage between 0000 and 0100 or 0700 and 0800 will show up as free or paid-for.

As a minimum you need to start at 0030 and stop at 0730, but to *ensure* you don't use any paid-for bandwidth you should make that 0100 to 0700.

I now consider the free period as 0100 to 0700, with any other free usage outside of those times a bonus. I have had gigabytes of bandwidth show up in paid-for usage when I have made absolutely sure that my downloads are set between 0000 and 0800 (and often quite a bit later/earlier respectively). I just don't trust PN's accounting, and it has cost me a few quid over the last few months.
Maddy
Grafter

peak-time usage

Good Morning all, i am now in a not so bad mood Smiley instead i am now confused :? i was taking a look at the usage policy and noticed that my peak time usage that i am allowed it up to 10GB per billing month (when did this change?) i took a look at the, View all the Products & Services you've bought from PlusNet and it says i got, PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1, now this is where i am confused if you take a look here>>> http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml then to, Residential Broadband - sustainable peak-time usage, it says for premier option 1 i should should get 30GB and a warning email at 24GB, i got mine at 8GB, anyone know WTF is going on? :? one more thing i am not sure about is this plus-talk does anyone know if i get 240 minutes a month of anytime PlusTalk calls free with my broadband product?
Thank you all
armran
N/A

peak-time usage

Well amran, the policies are confusing.
There are two, the first is for peak time and are about traffic management. You are allowed to download up to 10 gb a month between 4 pm and midnight on Premier Option 1. You get a warning email when you hit 8 GB peak time. If you go over 10 GB you are put on what is called 'light traffic shaping' which means that p2p and non-plusnet ftp are slowed down. This gets progressively heavier until you reach 15 GB.

The link you need is here. http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Choose your product and you should see what you are allowed before your connection is slowed for that billing month.

The link you gave is for Sustainable Usage. If you go over that, you are placed on Level 4 management until you upgrade to an account with more bandwidth, or PAYG.

The traffic management only applies for peak time, 4 pm to midnight for Premier. Outside those hours you have, I think, up to 100 GB. But if you schedule downloads for off-peak, it's best to set them to start at 1 am and stop at 3 pm, as there seems to be problems differentuating between peak and offpeak close to the change-over times.

I hope this helps.
Fixes: 115

peak-time usage

The traffic management only applies for peak time, 4 pm to midnight for Premier. Outside those hours you have, I think, up to 100 GB.

I've seen this 100GB mentioned a few times in these forums but cannot find any reference to it in the SUP. It simply states that all management is peak-time.

Has anyone actually gone over this magical 100GB with or without any contact from PN about their usage?

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

N/A

peak-time usage

The 100Gb was the figure that was floated around before the new SUP came into force, it was the top limit of the 30Gb peak/100 total usage on the premier accounts.

Since the SUP has come into play, it has been replaced although the limit (if there is one) has not yet been specified. I would assume that it is a "let them do what they want, if people start taking the mickey we will start quoting figures" situation.

Personally last month i was up into the 119Gb category and no-one has said anything to me.
N/A

peak-time usage

It might be worth setting the scheduler to start at 12.30 and finish at 7.30 or something to try and make sure there is no overlap.

Have successfully reset scheduler (I use azureus) for 1am - 7am and all usage was recorded as off-peak. Thanks for the advice.

Simon