cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paypal?

N/A

paypal?

Hi guys, I've not been here for a while but I have a little queery.
I've just received an e-mail from paypal. I have no paypal account and was wondering if it was some kind of scam.

We recently noticed an attempt to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP
address and we have reason to believe that your account was used by third party
without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts
may have been initiated by you. Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder,
click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.

That's it there, most of it. Anybody got any ideas?

Stevie.
6 REPLIES
N/A

paypal?

Ignore it. The link will take you to a dodgy website made to look like a genuine one and when you put your details in they will go to a third party fraudster.

Delete it - rule of thumb NEVER click on links in emails - type them in to your address bar if you are unsure as then you can be pretty sure you're going to the address specified, NEVER click on them as this can easily take you to a different place.
N/A

paypal?

Yeh best remove that link in your post just in case.
N/A

paypal?

Removed it. I thought it looked a bit dodgy. I was curious so clicked on it and got a 404 error.
Stevie.
N/A

paypal?

That link in the post is okay because it's just been pasted in as text and the forum has interpreted it correctly as a URL.

The problem with the mails you receive is that they usually use HTML or some other code which displays the link to the genuine site but when clicked on takes you somewhere else. So typing the address in or copy/pasting it is usually okay whereas clicking on it will take you to wherever that link is configured to take you (which is likely not to be the address shown).

Smiley
chymorva
Grafter

paypal?

Hi Stevie,

I had the exact same email a few months ago. I do have a PayPal account and an eBay account, so I have the eBay toolbar installed. One of the features of the toolbar is the 'Account Guard', and when I followed the link it showed it to be a spoof site. I subsequently reported it, and did not put my details in.
As Chris so rightly points out never respond to that type of email - I was just checking that the eBay toolbar picked it up as a spoof so that if it was to happen to my wife (who is not so internet wise as me) she would not complete the details.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

paypal?

Yep welcome to the world of phising. Check out sites like www.antiphishing.org

Not just Paypal, but also Ebay and every on-line banking bank where the thieving wankers might be able to steal some money via transferring it to UK mules (intermediaries who are silly enough to believe they are in a genuine job - well one which doesn't involve handling stolen goods anyway) so usually end up transferring the stolen cash to somewhere like Africa via Western Union, by then the scammers are well gone and the 'mule' is subject to investigation by UK authorities.

Obviously best to ignore them and at least in the cases above the fake sites were pulled pretty quickly. I get about 100 spams a day to one of my old e-mail accounts I don't use anyone, and I can guarantee at least 10 of those will be phising (security update) e-mails. I've even seen some so basic, it's just been an e-mail asking me to reply with credit card details (some can't even be bothered to try and steal with a copy of Photoshop and pretend to set up a realistic site anymore).