cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

payg how do I buy extra allowance before i go over limit

Community Veteran

I'm on payg and a 2gb limit. For some strange reason my allowance is getting much closer to the 2gb much earlier this month than before. All spyware and antiviruse are upto date aloong with hardware and software firewalls.

I wish to but extra bandwidth before I hit the 2 gb limit si that I'm not charged at the higher rate.

In my connections I have smething called transfer watch which takes me to this page https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/
Is this where I can buy the extra 2gb block? The page give no indication of what your buying it just promtes you to put in a figure above the £14.99 I'm currently paying. How am I supposed to know how much to pay.

Do I need to upgrade to 4gb per month for one month and them come back down to 2gb the next. Will the extra 2gb be on the account for a month or just until I'm billed again.

The help faqs take me to this part of the faqs
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml#8

There is no link to the place where I can pre-pay for the extra usage.

Could you please advise where this prepay section is on the portal and for how long the extra download limit will be avaliable. will it run until it is used up, like rolling minutes on a mobile talk plan or does the limit reset at the start of the accounts billing month?

Hope someone can help.

A
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Re: payg how do I buy extra allowance before i go over limit

In my connections I have smething called transfer watch which takes me to this page https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/
Is this where I can buy the extra 2gb block? The page give no indication of what your buying it just promtes you to put in a figure above the £14.99 I'm currently paying. How am I supposed to know how much to pay.

That page allows you to see a maximum spend on your PAYG account. I.e. if you don't want to spend more than £20 a month, but don't want to prebuy blocks of datatransfer, use that. HOWEVER. that does it by preventing you from downloading/browsing more!

To buy more usage, go the VMBU tool and click 'upgrade'.

Do I need to upgrade to 4gb per month for one month and them come back down to 2gb the next. Will the extra 2gb be on the account for a month or just until I'm billed again.

I don't want to answer that bit, as I'm not 100% sure! Hopefully one of the other guys on here will be able to confirm.
N/A

I'm on payg and a 2gb limit. For some strange reason my allowance is getting much closer to the 2gb much earlier this month than before.

This strange but lucrative phenomenon does seem to pop up occasionally on the forums; more cynical customers than I would see it as a sinister form of extracting extra revenue from the unsuspecting customer...:|

I wish to but extra bandwidth before I hit the 2 gb limit si that I'm not charged at the higher rate.

Check out the Linky , it may help in your dilemma.
N/A

I don't want to answer that bit, as I'm not 100% sure! Hopefully one of the other guys on here will be able to confirm.

Possibly because that bit has been denied in the past by the other guys...
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Possibly because that bit has been denied in the past by the other guys...

Has it?

I'll find out when i'm back in work. 2 weeks hols for me.
Community Veteran

there's nothing like making it somple is there.

the payg pages say prebuy at £1.50 per 2gb block.

Summary:
Frequently Asked Questions about the residential broadband products.

Broadband PAYG

How do I know how much data transfer I have used?

Can I pay for extra data transfer if I need it?

Can I restrict how much I spend on extra data transfer?

When will I be billed for any extra data transfer that I use?

What happens to any data transfer that is unused at the end of the month?

What happens if someone else uses my data transfer, for example if my computer is infected with a virus that sends out information without my knowledge?

Broadband PAYG

7. How do I know how much data transfer I have used?
Using the View My Broadband Usage tool at the Member Centre.
[Top]

8. Can I pay for extra data transfer if I need it?
Yes. If you have used your pre-pay data transfer amount then you can 'pay as you go' for any extra data transfer you need. The cost of extra data transfer depends on whether you add it to your product using pre-pay or simply use extra when you need to using 'pay as you go'.

Pre-pay data prices
- £1.50 per 2GB

PAYG data prices
- £1.80 per 2GB

Save money with pre-pay: Extra 'pay as you go' data transfer is ideal if you occasionally need more than your pre-pay amount. However, if you regularly need more than your pre-pay amount you will save money by increasing your pre-pay amount or by changing to a Premier product.

Please note: pre-pay is not available on Broadband Basic PAYG. (I'm not on the basic product)

[Top]

9. Can I restrict how much I spend on extra data transfer?
Yes. Use the Data Transfer Watch tool at the Member Centre, found in Connection Settings for Broadband PAYG customers. This allows you to set a maximum amount that you are willing to spend on extra data transfer each month.[Top] (Bold added be me)

10. When will I be billed for any extra data transfer that I use?
You will be charged each month with your subscription payment. If you change your product to include extra data transfer, this too will be charged with your next subscription payment.
[Top]

So I went to that page and tried to buy £1.50 extra limit as in point 9 it tell you how to set the ammount you don't want to spend over. The presumption is that setting this to 1.50 would then give the increased limit as mentioned above. I was told that the amount needed to be more than my current monthly cost so i added 14.99 to 1.50 (for 2gb extra as detailed above. Now my monthly download limit is 3.67gb NOT 4 which would be the 2gb for 14.99 and the 2gb for the 1.50 I just agreed to buy.

So how exatly does one add 2gb extra limit to a montly allowance. Adding 1.50 to my montly bill has only increased my montly allowance by 1.67gb not 2gb.

I tried to call support but that sent me back to the forums and cut me off.

A
Community Veteran

theattic

Cheers for the link. I've read it a few times and the page on transfer watch and it makes it out that I am setting my max bill for the month. NOT a max payment for an extra £16.49 of bandwidth.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

At least that's what it clearly says to me but some beg to differ.

A