cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pathetic

N/A

pathetic

i'm not at home 90% of the time so when I do come home i expect the full 2mbit premier p2p speeds. But what do I get? 30kb/sec from a private, well seeded torrent. I have to wait over a day until it's done.
I can't wait to move out so I can cancel this cack and go elsewhere!! Evil
19 REPLIES
N/A

pathetic

you cant expect 2mbit. the best you can expect is 400kbit.
thats the level that bt set.

Moving onto plusnet
they dont offer any guarentees, their service level of late has been crap, i do agree with you. i'm just picking to pieces your arguement. the days of full speed broadband are coming to a very fast end with maxdsl, and also across the current product amoung quite a few of teh current isps. There operating margins are 2 small and they cant afford to ahve people running at 2mibt all the time.

my advice is move, plusnet are a mess atm. go enjoy another isp, but just dont expect 2mbit, because its simply not reasonable to expect it :/
N/A

pathetic

so i've been playing battlefield 2 for the past hour, i left the torrent downloading because 30kb/sec isnt going to effect my ping...10 mins ago i started getting really bad lag spikes...quit bf2 and my speeds shot up to 225kb/sec

plusnet traffic management is...odd
N/A

pathetic

you cant expect 2mbit. the best you can expect is 400kbit.
thats the level that bt set.

Moving onto plusnet
they dont offer any guarentees, their service level of late has been crap, i do agree with you. i'm just picking to pieces your arguement. the days of full speed broadband are coming to a very fast end with maxdsl, and also across the current product amoung quite a few of teh current isps. There operating margins are 2 small and they cant afford to ahve people running at 2mibt all the time.

my advice is move, plusnet are a mess atm. go enjoy another isp, but just dont expect 2mbit, because its simply not reasonable to expect it :/

How did you earn the title of bright spark? You’ve probably only been with the one ISP, before you’re completely misinforming this guy about the capabilities of other ISPs. His request for a 2Mbit speed isn’t unreasonable, but more importantly, isn’t unattainable either.

I can assure mamboboy that there are ISP’s who offer great speeds at most times of the day, including peak-- whether they continue to do so for much longer is anybody’s guess, but I seriously doubt Max will have quite the impact of srae’s conjecture. Quadruple bandwidth doesn’t mean everyone will start downloading 4-times as much.

Anyway, I’ve finally had it with Plusnet; the clincher was when I used my friend’s computer the other week. She’s connected to Zen and also the same exchange. Won’t go into detail about the differences, but I can assure that they were significant enough to provoke a cease order to my inept Plusnet service immediately.

I could’ve decided to wait until Max rolls out and see if things smoothen out, but life’s too short. Reliable 8Mb with 50GB cap for £34.99 sounds like a great deal to me.
N/A

pathetic

i dont understand whats with all this limiting and shaping, is it that the country doesn't have sufficent bandwidth? If anyone saw the gadget show last night you would of seen the article about 100mbit internet being the norm in korea. There must be a serious backbone behind their broadband.

Yet over here in the uk were told "not to expect 2mbit" even! Its rediculous. I know vdsl is being talked about (54mbit) and bt are planning to do that very shortly, but thats still only half the speed of in korea. Also i hear sweden are trialing 1gbit home internet connections! Surely with britain being one of the major countries in europe, you'd expect us to be leading these new broadband technologies, but instead we seem to be in last place.
N/A

pathetic

Link to article

Cost for 1gbit internet in sweden is 850.00 Sweden Kronor = £62.48 a month
Neil_A
Grafter

pathetic

i dont understand whats with all this limiting and shaping, is it that the country doesn't have sufficent bandwidth?

It all comes down the the wholesale costs from BT that all ISPs have to deal with. At the current price levels it simply isn't economic to give unlimited bandwidth. It's the usage not the speed that drives costs by the way, so we will be upgrading customers to 8Mb as it doesn't cost any more. At £14.99 really customers are only 'buying' about 2GB of bandwidth per month!
N/A

pathetic

its about time that bt either reduced their costs, or looked at the broadband technologies availible in other countries. There must be something their doing wrong for the cost to be so high. Think i'll move to sweden, 1gbit for £62.50 a month, a package i cant ever see appearing in the uk!!

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Alecto
Grafter

pathetic

Surely with britain being one of the major countries in europe, you'd expect us to be leading these new broadband technologies, but instead we seem to be in last place.

Who says we're one of the major countries in Europe?
As I see it we're well on the way to being a third world country, with no government interested in investing in anything for the longer term. After all, they're lucky to stay in power for more than five years or so, so what good will it do them?

The whole network is very poor indeed, and will only get worse as our leaders say we all have a right to internet at infinite speeds, everyone expects it, and the whole thing grinds downhill.

But it's not Plusnet's fault (apart from the shaping, throttling and trying to cram as many users onto a stretched resource as they can).
Community Veteran

pathetic

At £14.99 really customers are only 'buying' about 2GB of bandwidth per month!

Hmmm. I'm on PAYG and it's costing me £15.99 a month for 2GB. I know that with PAYG I don't get any speed throttling, so is that what I'm paying the extra £1 per month for?

When things change after the next billing date and we get free bandwidth overnight, I'm thinking of dropping back to the basic 1GB included (assuming I don't have to pay a downgrade fee to do this!) and doing any large software updates overnight.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

pathetic

i dont understand whats with all this limiting and shaping, is it that the country doesn't have sufficent bandwidth?

It all comes down the the wholesale costs from BT that all ISPs have to deal with. At the current price levels it simply isn't economic to give unlimited bandwidth. It's the usage not the speed that drives costs by the way, so we will be upgrading customers to 8Mb as it doesn't cost any more. At £14.99 really customers are only 'buying' about 2GB of bandwidth per month!

no it's because plusnet attracted too many customers with over zealous advertising - don't pass the buck. You put the prices down, you attracted the customers and now you cant cope so it's pathetic restrictions for all.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

pathetic

Actually, I suspect the real reason for the current situation is the length of time it has taken for the LLU trials to come to fruition.

They are anticipating moving a number of customers off the current central pipes and on to Tiscali pipes. Why would they buy extra pipes to cope with demand if they knew that soon the capacity required would go down?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JonathanW
Grafter

pathetic

At £14.99 really customers are only 'buying' about 2GB of bandwidth per month!

Hmmm. I'm on PAYG and it's costing me £15.99 a month for 2GB. I know that with PAYG I don't get any speed throttling, so is that what I'm paying the extra £1 per month for?

When things change after the next billing date and we get free bandwidth overnight, I'm thinking of dropping back to the basic 1GB included (assuming I don't have to pay a downgrade fee to do this!) and doing any large software updates overnight.

PayG is a little differnet to the Plus package, as it offers several other benefits over the Plus package. Which is why you only get 1GB of included bandwidth and have to pay for the rest.

But changing your included bandwidth doesn't cost you anything extra, though you can only make one change to it every thirty days.
N/A

pathetic

This will change as BT will be forced to change it, if it is to succeed. BT has strong aspirations for sending TV and video-on-demand over broadband. If you think about the time people spend watching TV (several hours per day), that's a lot of bandwidth. BT is going to have to treat ISPs fairly. If BT is allowed to send video at extremely low price per Mbyte, it's going to have to let other ISPs to do the same. Hence, with the growth in IP TV will come reducing price per Mbyte - in other words usage allocations.
N/A

pathetic

At the current price levels it simply isn't economic to give unlimited bandwidth.

Actually BT can't lower their prices as the telecoms watchdog says that they must allow LLU distribution at a fair pace. If they were to lower their prices, it wouldn't be fair to the LLU suppliers.

When LLU gets more "regular" they will allow BT to drop their prices and you should see changes.

Why would they buy extra pipes to cope with demand if they knew that soon the capacity required would go down?

After the purchase of Metronet they are currently contact bound to keep one of the pipes they currently have. IIRC they dont WANT it. Hopefully the migration onto LLU some customers will come before they turn it off otherwise... there'll be even less to go around Wink