cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p (sad I know) new slow down!

N/A

I can’t believe I am typing this! I spend a few minutes a day reading everyone moaning about PN and wondering what the problem is, however today they have crippled my p2p downloads!

I download American TV to watch in the evening. I always start a download around 8am when I start work and usually have a couple of hours downloaded by lunchtime.

Today I am only 80% done on a 1 hour episode and it’s crawling! I’ve checked with a download from UKNova which would usually max out my connection and it’s 10k.

I am currently on “Teleworker” which I think is now “Homeworker”

If I upgrade to “Small Business” or even “Business” will it remove the cripple?

My real question is “Are the slow downs the same on all the business packages?” if not I’ll just pay more! Otherwise I will have to move on.

Zen 8000 Pro is going to set me back 35quid a month as PlusNet host a domain for me. Any other good ones?
12 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

You're not alone.
The mods to the ellacoya settings seem to have done the job and knackered everybody alike now.
Let me know where you're going and I'll come too.
N/A

Business accounts are under the same filtering as non business services.

We have always had problems as a business user and trying to access P2P services, just like everyone else.
N/A

Look, if you want to enjoy the internet and make use of P2P, Gaming and any service which is popular then you cant rely on Plusnet to provide you with a reliable service.

Plusnet are just interested in having customers who browse the net, send/receive email and sometimes do light downloading because it means they don't have to invest any of their massive profit back into the service to make improvements.

If you have any problems with Plusnet, their attitude is "sorry mate, its not our fault, honest guv" and you are left there wondering what to do next, hoping the problem just fixes itself.
passer
Grafter

I have to report that the alleged changes to the Ellacoyas appear not to have made a jot of difference as far as I can tell. I must agree with westerlea's observations. I'm actually quite happy with all other aspects of my connection, but I'm rather cheesed off that I can't make any effective use of P2P at all on it.
N/A

A once ultra satisfied customer of many years now looks for loving ISP with good sense of humor to enjoy nights in front of the PC watching TV.

Traffic shaping has negated maxdsl, more bandwidth, less use.
N/A

I was following the rules, only using off-peak times with the scheduler in uTorrent (encryption switched on). I have to say I am a little worried I am getting addicted…when Lost S3E2 comes out if I can’t watch it Thursday night I will not be happy and my MAC will be requested!
N/A

Well. LostS03E02 coming down at 6k, will take 13hours. Last week the same size file from the same server (I know it’s not a server but you get what I mean) took about an hour.
After 3 years here I have sadly requested a MAC...I know in the past I have myself said all ISPs must use shaping but I am going to pay more for a better service, there seems no way to pay more for a better service here as the packages are all shaped to the same extent. See you on the other side.
Alecto
Grafter

I sympathise wreeve. Same here.
Where are you going?
N/A

Right guys, maybe we can post the ISP's which are doing the best deals.

I just checked out zen and if you want a fast, rock solid connection and only use 20gb a month then they charge £24.99

Freedom2surf offer 8mb at £23.99 with a 50gb limit

Which ISP's are you lot looking at?
N/A

You can post the ISP's who are doing the best deals, just not in the Community Support Forum.

Either get this thread back on topic, or it will be moved to Everything Internet.
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry James, my fault. Shockedops: Shouldn't have asked the question.
N/A

We use P2P here in the office for Linux distros etc....

Couple of days ago at home I migrated to Zen from plus net due to really bad speeds, terrible pings and just hated the fact of being on a filtered line.

While in the office I VNC to my home computer on and started a torrent and then in the office started the exact same torrent on our plus net line. At home I was getting average over 330kb sec in the office got no more than 7k sec.

I know being at a different exchange etc can have cause varying speeds etc but we also have another line in the office which is the main line used by all the staff and with the torrent on that line and no port forward setup got was getting 50k sec.