cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p problems (again)

N/A

p2p problems (again)

Did anyone from plusnet finally admint they've done something to restrict usage of p2p? At the moment using soulseek I'm getting speeds that I would have expected in 1988. Just in case it was the user I was connected to, I randomly selected 5 other users with the fastest speeds their end and tried one file from each - again 0.1K/sec rate, rather than the speeds I've been use to until very recently.

Also I watch tv online using PPlive, which works on a p2p basis and as such, this is now unusable, as the stream cannot catch up quick enough with a throttled connection.

Seeing as its 30 minutes past peak time I would have expected back to normal speeds, but I'm getting speeds that are embarrasing for a 2mb connection.

Come on plusnet, sort it out. I pay you moeny each month for a service, how about providing it?
57 REPLIES
N/A

Not alone

You're not on your own there Neal. I've got exactly the same symptoms and so does a friend I just recommended to PlusNet. He's not impressed and that doesn't look good on me. He just transferred from Wanadoo (thankfully) and has had no end of trouble (\me blames BT), now this! He's seriously considering moving again.
What's the score PN?

*EDIT*
It seems there are a few threads on this topic. For information, I'm on Premier (have been for years) and I am being affected as much as users on BB+. I'm paying for an unlimited, uncapped service and really it's only fair to expect it.
Discostoo
Grafter

p2p problems (again)

I know where you're coming from boys, I've come here on a mate's recommendation and he's frankly embarrassed at PN. Although he's still getting a fairly good speed, he says they're not as good as they were. Me however am languishing in 0-1kbps hell. My dial up was faster. I like listening to random radio stations aswell as radio 1 but they're unusable now. I think(hope) its BT's fault, but if it isn't then i might have to pop over to sheffield myself...
N/A

p2p problems (again)

I reckon that the traffic shaping will affect things such as P2P tv/radio, but I cant see why it would affect something like radio 1 streaming - im listening to it now Shocked BT's fault?
N/A

p2p problems (again)

I migrated to another broadband provider 5 days ago and ppStream and PPLive now both work as they should.
I was on the 2meg Premier package and found that live streams were totally useless when they brought the throttling in.
Today I watched two live football matches without any problems at all.
However, my new provider does not limit or throttle latency sensitive applications like this, so I do not get the problems that you are getting any more.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

p2p problems (again)

...but I cant see why it would affect something like radio 1 streaming...

If anything the management we have in place will improve streaming media. If someone is having problems with that then it is more likely another problem which is causing it.

Streaming media is in the silver queue, and as we've never dropped any silver packets it should perform well. Personally I use shoutcast quite a bit and have never had any problems. I don't use the radio one stream at the moment because 1) I'm not a big fan of the music they play and 2) I can't get realplayer, opera and debian to all talk together nicely.
N/A

p2p problems (again)

People with slow torrents... if you're not already doing so, you should limit the upload speed in your torrent program. I've set mine to 15KB/s (half the avail 30KB/s). Getting good speeds now.

Screenshot: http://www.benzalez.plus.com/other/bitlord.png
Ben_Brown
Grafter

p2p problems (again)

If you're using a router and torrents you should also forward the port(s) your torrent client uses to the computer it runs on. It's also better to use a non-standard port as a lot of trackers don't like you using standard ports.
N/A

p2p problems (again)

Another tip which I posted elsewhere is that if you suspect shaping then a good test of the download speeds possible is to bittorrent something like an Openoffice release:

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

There are always lots of seeders with big pipes. My 2mb premier + Azureus 2.3.0.4 quickly establishes at least a 200kb/sec download and it rarely dips below that.
Discostoo
Grafter

p2p problems (again)

well, PN CS suspect its the dreaded BT screwing up my line, so fingers crossed. :!: Actually i'm not the biggest fan of radio 1 either, but i thought they'd have the steadiest connection so gave them as an example. Tongue
N/A

Re: p2p problems (again)

Did anyone from plusnet finally admint they've done something to restrict usage of p2p? At the moment using soulseek I'm getting speeds that I would have expected in 1988. Just in case it was the user I was connected to, I randomly selected 5 other users with the fastest speeds their end and tried one file from each - again 0.1K/sec rate, rather than the speeds I've been use to until very recently.

I concur, p2p appears to have slowed down massively. People will vote with their feet if Plusnet do not provide an adequate service...
N/A

p2p problems (again)

N/A

p2p problems (again)

Well I issued a ticket to CS asking if I will be charged to migrate because of this, and suprise suprise, yes they will expect me to pay the remainder of the contract. I think not - complaint lodged with BBC watchdog and trading standards. Who regulates plusnet so I can also complain to them?
N/A

p2p problems (again)

just a thought - if I were to totally abuse the system and leave my system ina loop downloading huge files, would I get booted off the system and not incurr any charges? Wink
N/A

p2p problems (again)

...but I cant see why it would affect something like radio 1 streaming...

If anything the management we have in place will improve streaming media. If someone is having problems with that then it is more likely another problem which is causing it.

U see how Plusnet only respond to the few lines from the original post regards the radio streaming and nothing else.........no reply on P2P.