cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p peak times....

N/A

p2p peak times....

Hello all,

First time I've been on the forums for a while, and noticed people mentioning the p2p peak times are different to normal peak times (last time I looked there were no differences).

Couple of questions I hope someone might be able to help me with.

1. When did this change happen? (Might help me try to figure how much peak time I've been using!)

2. Will we get any kind of warning email to say our p2p peak limits have been breached, or will the limiter just kick in?

3. Is there any way I can find out how much peak p2p bandwidth I've been using?

I've no problem with these peak times - it just would have been nice to have been told!!!
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

p2p peak times....

1) Dec 7. See the vision thread in the announcements forum. The new system uses 8am -> midnight as the peak period for P2P/usenet. Alhough my understanding is it shuld not apply until your next billling date after 7th Dec.

2) No idea. Given some of the info I am aware of via PUG, this may not be the case. I will make enquiries to find out.

3) No, because the VMBU has not been updated to cater for the new peak-time periods - it is being developed now. All you can see is the 4pm -> midnight figures.
N/A

p2p peak times....

Thanks for the quick reply Peter.
Interesting link you posted.

So my take on this is (please correct me if I am wrong!):

I can transfer (p2p) what I want off-peak (as long as I am in the SUP).
If I transfer (p2) on-peak (currently 8am to Midnight), I should see no difference, till I (being on 2MB) hit the 20Gb limit, after which I should see no difference off-peak, but will be p2p limited to a 0.5Mb line (going down to .25 if I hit 25Gb on-peak).

If I do break the p2p peak limit, then non-p2p will still be line speed (ammuming I'm in the SUP limits of course!!)
Community Veteran

p2p peak times....

That is my understanding of what should happen.

Interesting link you posted.

what link? unless you mean one of the ones in my sig - in which case which one are you refering to?
N/A

p2p peak times....

sorry - - I meant the vision thread you mentioned, thought you'd posted a link rather than just mentioned it Shockedops:
Neil_A
Grafter

p2p peak times....

I can transfer (p2p) what I want off-peak (as long as I am in the SUP).
If I transfer (p2) on-peak (currently 8am to Midnight), I should see no difference, till I (being on 2MB) hit the 20Gb limit, after which I should see no difference off-peak, but will be p2p limited to a 0.5Mb line (going down to .25 if I hit 25Gb on-peak).

If I do break the p2p peak limit, then non-p2p will still be line speed (ammuming I'm in the SUP limits of course!!)

Correct :-) Sorry it's so complicated. As we've said this is a short-term semi-automated solution that will evolve into a fully-automated solution in the new year.

Fundamentally it means that you can do what you want off-peak and for the vast majority of customers you can do what you want on-peak (as the vast majority don't use anywhere near 20GB).

For those customers using higher amounts on peak you'll see progressive slow-downs on P2P and usenet until you hit SUP levels.
___oDiN__
Grafter

p2p peak times....

im going to put a swear box on these forums and donate the proceeding to charity, the first highly offensive word in the swear list will be "vast majority"

:x :x :x
Alecto
Grafter

p2p peak times....

That's two words. :lol:
N/A

p2p peak times....

I think 'vast majority' is a fair term here considering the peak traffic management is being changed so that heavy users will be throttled at peak times, as opposed to all users with the current queue system. It seems a good change if it works as described.
Neil_A
Grafter

p2p peak times....

Ok, we know that 99% is a swear word and so is vast majority. How about a very high proportion? Smiley

Take a look at the usage data that the PlusNet Usergroup have published and decide the approriate phrase yourself. It's here http://usergroup.plus.net/news_1pctfigures.php