cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p now completely useless during 'peak time'

N/A

For a couple of weeks now I've noticed BitTorrent has been incredibly slow during peak hours. So have the USENET text based newsgroups as well.

Tried connecting to Limewire, and it's not even connecting now. The same thing seems to be going on with DC++ as well.

So basically, all p2p protocols are suffering badly at peak time from where I am. They're not just being restricted, they are pretty much unusable.

It's not my firewall/router/etc because it all works during off peak hours at full speed. It's not because I'm downloading off slow hosts either.

When this slowdown happens (at peak time) I have tried downloading big files from the web and they go fine, full speed. Website viewing is also still ok, and the results of a speed test come out pretty good too. It's just the problem with p2p/USENET protocols. So what's going wrong?

I am not on any management.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What product are you on and how much peak./off-peak have you downloaded this month?
N/A

I'm now on Premier Option 1, I switched yesterday from Home Surf Self-Install to see if it would help.

I don't know my usage because it's flicked over to this month now, only yesterdays usage was showing which was 126MB. I don't download more than 30gb a month max, and of that only about 10gb maximum would ever be in peak time (usually I download a lot less but last month was reasonably high usage for me, not over the usage limits though I gather).
N/A

Re: p2p now completely useless during 'peak time'

So basically, all p2p protocols are suffering badly at peak time from where I am. They're not just being restricted, they are pretty much unusable.

Yes, PN is now usueless for any sort of p2p. I am in the process of migrating and hopefully I should have my new connection on Saturday
N/A

I'm not PlusNets biggest fan, but what your saying is'nt my experience of PlusNet and P2P....
Although there have been problems of late with all parts of the service (this portal is a big problem, taking an age to load, even though I received the "portal fixed email, it ain't here) when I use P2P I still get good speeds peak and off peak

I'll see how it goes when the new product hits me (billing date 17th) and decide whether to move on. although looking around there isn't much choice with ISP's all going down the SUP route

Shame that PlusNet stopped the binary news service, although I'm not a big user of NG's I will miss the binary service which will be a big factor in me deciding to leave

But P2P and the way it's worked for me with PN certainly wont be a reason to move on, at least with PlusNet you are told about the restrictions, many ISP's are not so forthcoming.......
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The Home Surf account was never designed for P2P or binary usenet usage, in fact these are actually blocked on that account so shouldn't have worked at all.

Speeds should be better on Premier but make sure you've disconnected and reconnected so that the new profile and IP address are assigned.