cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p. Virtually Can't Download.

mjtuohy
Grafter

My p2p has virtually stopped working. I am on 2meg premier and have not had an email about my usage. We download app 50 gig a month . Mostly off peak. I have been getting a 0 dl speed on p2p for a few days now. So I installed a new dl client as I thought one of my Darlings might have installed a program that has changed the original program. Right now to try I thought. It went up to 40 dl speed. Great I thought, at least It's working now. Hang on now down to 20 now 5 now 0 it has just gone back up to 7. What is happening. And what will happen next ? (I put this post on a wrong thread but have deleted it sorry.)
11 REPLIES
N/A

traffic shaping i guess.. i dont use p2p etc but it just took me 30mins to send a 7mb file to my mate on msn saturday morning 9am etc... mega fast speed of 3.3k, not bad for 1mb adsl service is it.. i also stopped all other internet apps from running and my firewall confirmed that it was the only connection to the internet... ive already got my mac key..
rammie1976
Grafter

Have raised a ticket to query your d/l speed? or have you recently been emailed about your bb useage?
N/A

if he did, all PN would say is its either a bad line, get bt to check it out etc. or it must be him cus we can download at 203ksec etc i was even told to reinstall my modem drivers, even tho i never had problems with old isp for past 3 years, only in past 3months with 1mb PN premier.. i had full 29/30k speeds when i sent files on msn when i was on 1/2meg with old isp

i cant see its the amout of BB im using cus i only dloaded 20gb for last month, and i mostly use the net for gaming/voice comms...

but mjtuohy you should raise a ticket to find out what they say to you :lol: but ill think youll find its not at your end where the problem is...
mjtuohy
Grafter

Thank's for all your answers I think I will try a re'format first then go from there.
rammie1976
Grafter

Thank's for all your answers I think I will try a re'format first then go from there.

Perhaps after you've done so, if you load minimum software necessary to check your connection, it will make it easier to diagnose and CS would probably only send you back to the "start" if you're getting the same problems?

Good Luck! Cheesy
mjtuohy
Grafter

Thank's.
N/A

1.6K down and 2.9K up on a torrent with 100 seeds and 130 peers. What a great use of my 2Mb connection. That said, there's a MAC key waiting at the other end of this. The sooner I get it, the better.
N/A

this might help http://p2pnet.net/story/4498 Wink

and this will give you a laugh http://www.ellacoya.com/news/pdf/2005/EllacoyaPlusnet.pdf

I assume that the Ellacoya promise that the shaper is statefull is true. In simple terms it means that they create an entry for every established TCP connection and keep the record in the database thorugh the whole lifecycle of the connection (i have my doubts about how reliable such thing can be if they do not terminate the connection in their box, but this is separate issue and not related to the current problem). I would post on some popular website the following suggestion to all BT users who suspect that traffic shapers installed on their gateways

Try one of alternatives
N/A

it just took me 30mins to send a 7mb file to my mate on msn saturday morning 9am etc... mega fast speed of 3.3k, not bad for 1mb adsl service is it.

This is perfectly normal i'm afraid. No matter what isp your on its normal. As soon as you add routing hardware into the equation msn file transfers are always pathetically slow.

They were slow 2 years ago. They were slow when i was with telewest. Dont ever expect them not to be slow. YOUR lucky if they go fast. even with usb modems.

I've only ever seen 1 fast transfer accoss msn.

Now back on topic

As for your p2p downloads zeroing. its prob a mixture of sharing, the pathetic nature of p2p transfers with there problems. + something actually causing blocking or timeouts. That be my guess.

"Shapping or management " shudnt stop or slow p2p to a crawl. but p2p will be Slow if your being managed for over usage. on the 30:1 contended product, which i suspect is the level of shaping there putting on p2p when ur managed i suspect speeds of 8~15 k will bee seen. but thats just a guess
N/A

If you have just introduced a router into the equation I can tell you what the problem is. You haven't forwarded the ports on your router, meaning that no-one can make an inbound connection to your machine as the router is dropping the packets. You should still be able to make outbound connections, but that means if there is anyone else that also can't accept incoming connections then you will be unable to communicate with them for the data.

If you forward the correct ports for the appropriate program to your machine and try again you should see a speed increase.
mjtuohy
Grafter

Hi again all. Just got home from working last night and thought I would try p2p once more before I reformated later when I get up and what do you know. Downloading at 40 at the moment . And Its Getting faster. I have not touched anything. Strange Huh?