cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old returning customer

N/A

old returning customer

Hi, I was with PlusNet a couple of years ago roughly.
I was wondering as i have placed an order with them, if it's still a good ISP providing a good service.

And...do they still have that feature where you can see them working live? I can't find it anywhere
14 REPLIES
N/A

old returning customer

I've not had any major problems over the last few years, although some people have.

You can see the PN Staffers beavering away here (linked from the Member Centre page, bottom right)
bill
Grafter

old returning customer

When I try to see the Plusnet webcam I get this message.
Do I need to change settings or download a control etc. ? I use IE7 on XP SP2.

Axis ActiveX Camera Control
The AXIS ActiveX Camera Control, which enables you to view live image streams in Microsoft Internet Explorer, could not be registered on your computer
James
Grafter

old returning customer

How old is your version of Internet Explorer?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

old returning customer

James,

I've never been able to get it to work with IE6 on my work PC - I install the control, restart and the web cam pages still say that it isn't registered.

(Still can't use IE7 because our shit third-party defect tracking software doesn't work with it).

Maybe I'll try it at home, quite likely this PC is in a bit of a state anyway and is due to this. My registry is always a mess what with the number of builds I do on here, amount of registering of COM components and the frequency of crashes I get (both our own and dev stuff). Sure you get the picture Smiley

Anyway am drifting off, so going back to the OP's question - they've had problems, and I've been certainly quick to post on here about them.

However the only real problem I had in the four years, is the recent BB+ issues which at least they've admitted to and now seem to have resolved with the new capacity. I was doing a bit of browsing last night and it did seem back to normal (though I wasn't really downloading or did a speed test).

Reliability wise, I have had no problems. Though of course that's not just a reflection on PlusNet, may have just been lucky with my line and/or exchange.
N/A

old returning customer

TBH it hasn't worked automatically for me for yonks - I've always had to manually download the AXIS control (following a bit of Googling)

I've uninstalled the camera control from my machine, and now if I visit, I get nothing - no message telling me to install it, no hint about whats missing (in the past I got messages telling me the control couldn't be registered, but now I don't even get that)
bill
Grafter

old returning customer

Hello James,
I use IE7 with XP SP2.
Bill
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

old returning customer

I've always done it in a similar way to James, of googling and manually installing it with IE6 and IE7.

Phil
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

old returning customer

Strange - I cant get the webcams to work at the moment. Using firefox2 with full updates, when i click on a link a seperate window opens and says connecting to ....... but nothing appears.
Never had any problems in the past - that was a few weeks ago.

Paul
Mand
Grafter

old returning customer

Works fine in Opera, I blame Firefox! Wink
paulgul
Rising Star

old returning customer

Works fine in Opera, I blame Firefox! Wink

You may be right, there was a new update last week - probably tightened up on security so much it doesn't work.
Just tried IE6 (don't have IE7) and get the following 'Axis ActiveX Camera Control - not registered' -
Still not the end of the world.

Paul
bill
Grafter

old returning customer

When I try to see the Plusnet webcam I get this message.

Axis ActiveX Camera Control
The AXIS ActiveX Camera Control, which enables you to view live image streams in Microsoft Internet Explorer, could not be registered on your computer

Do I need to change settings or download a control etc. ? I use IE7 on XP SP2.

Last edited by kleve on 06 Mar 2007 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

old returning customer

Yep - you need to go here

I assume it's the camera control, and not the media control you need - so I would install this

You might have more luck than me, installed both on here and it still doesn't work!

Though the samples seem to compile in Visual Studio and run - maybe I'll try restarting the PC later.
paulgul
Rising Star

old returning customer

I assume it's the camera control, and not the media control you need - so I would install this

Doesn't seem to work with Firefox - perhaps its not supposed to.
bill
Grafter

old returning customer

Thank you for your help.
Have downloaded and installed both. Still the same. Will read the instructions and see if any adjustments are needed.