cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oh noooooo service nosedives

N/A

happily synced at 8128/448....... ever since getting dslMAX( cough )

Before was on Premier 2mb with good steady 2meg connection and great CONSISTENT 1.92mb PN speedtest results day in day out at any time of day.

Just done a few zzzzzzzzzzzzz speedtests...... still got a good strong 8128 sync.......

resultHuhHuh PN speedtest........ 361Kbps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats worse than a bogo standard half meg connection!

WT--heck? is going on? I live in a small town, our exchange is nearly always green light with no problems.

SHOCKING truly shocking.
12 REPLIES
N/A

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Check your stable rate has not dropped

My rate has hit 500kb and the only response is to reboot your router/system at least once within the next 3days.
sisgroup
Grafter

Mine say 2000 is that right for a 2Mb connection :?
N/A

In deed it does
sisgroup
Grafter

Great stuff :lol: just checking as im waiting for me DSLMax lol
N/A

yeah mines dropped from 8000 ( i had ALL trial period ) it's now a tiny 7000 !!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

so that does'nt explain my near time outs and 361kbps speed test result.

shocking stuff.
I should'nt whinged Sooo much, i just read here that someones happily synced at 8128/448 like me, and has gotten a 128kbps result!

If this lasts more than a week or so without explanation, thats it, i'm off ( stuff the MAC hassle, I'll happily pay the cash to get a solid reliable connection )

I use ebay alot ( buy and sell ) and this shocking nosedive is impacting on my finances.
N/A

AHHH finally found a relative post, I am the same here, first day on the new speed, had a 6-7mb download this morning, now, and now. well my 380 upload is faster than my download...

So what your basically saying after receiving the speed, you have to wait ANOTHER 3 days for that to settle AFTER the test phase
N/A

Bizarre, Upgraded to Max along with an account upgrade, because I've not had more than 250-300k DL speeds for ages. Upgraded to Max, no speed increase, although router syncs at 2Mb/448k now.
Rubbish you think - me too, until I plug in my trusty of Binatone 500 USB modem.
Speed more than trebles.
Though I must have fiddled too much with router settings, so reset to factory to start again.
No improvement.
What about the Binatone is better at handling ADSL (and MaxDSL) than my Netgear834G?
Have I got something wrong with my set up?
Should I just go back to USB?
tumnus
Grafter

A green VP light for your exchange doesn't mean there is no contention, it just means the contention is within normal limits (aren't residential BT DSL lines spec'ed to have a contention of 50:1 or is it 30:1? Can't remember). There can also be contention in other parts of BTs network and the speed test sites are being hammered at the moment by lots of people constantly testing their new MaxDSL speeds.

If PlusNet's network is saturated with traffic I would also expect to see significant flat spots on these graphs:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/broadband_bandwidth_uage.shtml

Oh and some speed test sites are particularly poor. broadband-help.com for instance gives significantly and consistently lower download speeds that what I am actually getting from FTP sites and other speed testers.

Right now I'd trade a stable connection for a slow connection.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bizarre, Upgraded to Max along with an account upgrade, because I've not had more than 250-300k DL speeds for ages. Upgraded to Max, no speed increase, although router syncs at 2Mb/448k now.
Rubbish you think - me too, until I plug in my trusty of Binatone 500 USB modem.
Speed more than trebles.
Though I must have fiddled too much with router settings, so reset to factory to start again.
No improvement.
What about the Binatone is better at handling ADSL (and MaxDSL) than my Netgear834G?
Have I got something wrong with my set up?
Should I just go back to USB?

Stab in the dark here, but have you got PPPoA selected?

What have you got set for MTU size on your router and PC?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

PPPoA selected (also in my fiddling tried oE, and this worked too - which I didn't think was supposed to happen - but no improvement so swapped back)
MTU was set to default value (1458 methinks) also tried 1478 and 1500 to no avail.
How do I set MTU on Win XP Pro and Win 2k Pro? (Lots of machines to update)

Also heard odd bits about RWIN values, how do (and should I?) change these?

Router is Netgear834G.

Also considered asking for someone with correct settings to mail me the backup file from their router - then I'd only need to restore, and update UN & PW - would this work, or are the settings too relative to my connection?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The router MTU should be set at 1500. Setting it the same or bigger than the PC is fine, but smaller causes a massive performance hit. So set it to the maximum allowed which is 1500.

Information about tweaking the settings on your PC (including the MTU) can be found here. This has a link to DrTCP which is the easiest tool to use.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks Pal, I'll have a dig about once I get home and see what I can come up with. :lol: