cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new rules conditions

N/A

new rules conditions

I recieved an email stating new rules etc were being introduced one being inactive for thirty minutes and it is disconection, how does this afffect downloading, at night? or watching a film such as movieflix? what is determined as inactive?, I wish plusnet was a bit more explicite on this and give a proper definetion, or is this going to be the whims of who is ever working at +net
70 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

new rules conditions

The timeouts are only on Plus accounts. The connection will drop if it is inactive for 30 minutes, if someone is transferring data (up or down) then the connection will not drop, however if the connection is not uploading or downloading for 30 minutes it will be disconnected.

Customers will be able to immediately reconnect.
Galaxy
Grafter

new rules conditions

The point being....?

Surely it makes no difference if the user is connected or not
N/A

new rules conditions

The timeouts are only on Plus accounts. The connection will drop if it is inactive for 30 minutes, if someone is transferring data (up or down) then the connection will not drop, however if the connection is not uploading or downloading for 30 minutes it will be disconnected.

Customers will be able to immediately reconnect.

Can i ask, as the above poster has asked, what is the point in having this procedure implemented? And if it needs to be implemented, why not to everyone - or are we being victimised because we pay less?

Just another gripe PN wants to give its customers i suppose!
N/A

new rules conditions

Will this affect PAYG?
N/A

new rules conditions

Don't the "Plus" accounts utilise dynamic IP's rather than the static IPs provided by the "Premium" packages? If so, then this free's up the connection, and therefore an ip address. I've seen other ISPs use a much lower time limit than 30 minutes (some are about 5 minutes).

Atomik: I don't think PAYG is a "Plus" account - I think they are talking about the packages with "Plus" in there name, such as the £14.99 unlimited package.
kwhawell
Grafter

new rules conditions

I think the answer to this problem, is to leave something open, like some instant message client, or some such app, when I was on NTL that could keep my connection open for the full 2 hours I was on.
N/A

new rules conditions

I don't think PAYG is a "Plus" account - I think they are talking about the packages with "Plus" in there name, such as the £14.99 unlimited package.

I think you're correct. But to be honest, I've completely lost track of the names Plus Net apply to their various packages. They seem to change with the weather. Ah well, it'll be a MAC code for me at this rate anyway. It certainly isn't the ISP it used to be. I'd be gone already if it didn't mean sorting out my domain hosting and web space.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

new rules conditions

I have a DG814 router with 4 users
At present if I lose connection I need to reboot the router by switching it off and on again.
Is there any way round this.
N/A

new rules conditions

I think the answer to this problem, is to leave something open, like some instant message client, or some such app, when I was on NTL that could keep my connection open for the full 2 hours I was on.

This isn't the point - again, PN are giving another gripe for their customers to moan about - and victimising the 'Plus' group, just because they don't have Static IPs.

Its not as if they have a shortage of Dynamic IPs for God's sake!

Like atomik has said, I'm leaving soon too (actually closing my BT Line and skipping the country!) so won't be taking any more business out with PN.
DerekB
Grafter

new rules conditions

I have a DG814 router with 4 users
At present if I lose connection I need to reboot the router by switching it off and on again.
Is there any way round this.

I'm the same - what's the point of "always on Broadband" if I have to keep switching the router off - will leaving my email client acessing evry 5 minutes keep the connexion live?

Derek
painswck
Grafter

new rules conditions

Its not as if they have a shortage of Dynamic IPs for God's sake!

More likely that, as they are not getting extra centrals as the user base increases, they are running out of sessions on the pipes.
N/A

new rules conditions

I'm not sure what all the gripeing is about. Seems perfectly logical and sensible to me. If you go out and leave the machine connected doing nothing its costing you electricty anyway and lets be honest here, it does only take a couple of seconds to re-dial.
I would have thought there is much more to gripe about than this subject. Get a grip on things guys.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

new rules conditions

From the FAQ's (which are due to be posted tomorrow):

"There are a limited number of connections we can make to each segment of capacity. By applying idle time outs, we can ensure available capacity is utilised and not sat idle. The more efficiently our network is working, the more it helps us keep prices down and give great value and high quality services to our customers."
N/A

new rules conditions

grumps one of the points is this is another nail in the coffin, they say it is for plus accounts well everyone has an account with plus here, lol they said they are trying to be helpful with customers "see summary of changes " yet they imply more restrictions

This email is to let you know that we are making some changes to your
PlusNet Terms and Conditions. We are making them shorter and easier to
understand, as well as introducing some new features to our network.

Summary of changes:

We have made a number of changes aimed at improving our relationship
with our customers.

- Ensuring that our Terms and Conditions comply fully with the Consumer
Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, giving you peace of
mind when buying from us.
- Reinforcement of our commitment to giving you 'reasonable notice' of
any changes, upgrades or alterations to the service.

We have also made a number of changes to the Acceptable Use Policy. The
changes mean that we can continue to provide our customers with an
excellent quality broadband experience, particularly during peak hours.

- Introduction of 'idle time-outs' for Broadband Plus and ADSL Home
Surf customers. This means that we will disconnect any sessions that are
inactive for a period of thirty minutes. As long as your connection is
in active use, you will not be disconnected. If you are disconnected you
will be able to reconnect straight away.
- Introduction of traffic prioritisation techniques to all broadband
accounts. This will ensure that we can continue to deliver an excellent
and consistent service, particularly at peak times, for customers using
time-sensitive applications such as VoIP, email, web browsing and
gaming.

You can view the new Terms and Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy at
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html

These new Terms and Conditions will replace all existing Terms and
Conditions on Friday 16th September 2005. We will assume that you accept
these new Terms and Conditions unless you contact us by this date to
indicate otherwise. If you do not wish to accept these new Terms and
Conditions please use the Contact Us tool.

If you would like to understand more about our pricing, products and
how we manage our network to ensure the best customer experience please
visit our Member Centre at http://portal.plus.net/

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued
custom.

Kind Regards,
PlusNet Customer Support