cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new domain name and existing mailboxes

br1anstorm
Grafter

Forgive me if this appears to be a dumb question - but after reading the Help & Support pages and a selection of forum posts, I have not found the exact answer.

I have just taken up the offer of a free .uk domain (having never had, or needed, a domain before, so I'm unfamiliar with domain-management). I note that when I set up email addresses in my domain, the mail will be routed/delivered into the default mailbox of my existing PlusNet username account (aka my "virtual domain").

Now here's my query. My default mailbox in my existing PlusNet account is username@username.plus.com. This address gets nothing but spam (it has never been given to my contacts). So I have turned off the catchall (which resulted in the creation of a postmaster mailbox, now used by PlusNet support for admin messages); and I have set up a rule in OE to block all messages addressed to that <username> mailbox and to delete them from the server.

So far so good - I'm getting less spam. Now, if mail to my new domain addresses gets routed into that default <username> mailbox, it will be deleted by the rule I have set up. How can I receive the emails sent to my domain without opening up the door again to all the spammers who know and would use my username@username.plus.com address?

I understand that it is now possible to shut down and blackhole one's entire username account (virtual domain) and then only rely on one's new .uk domain to get emails. But this does mean loss of existing email addresses and total global re-notification to contacts of the new .uk domain address. I would rather keep my existing user account, gradually shift across to using the new domain, and eventually let the user account email addresses fall out of use.

So - can I retain both my existing user account and my new .uk domain, but have emails which are sent to my new domain address routed into one of the other "clean" mailboxes on my existing PlusNet user account, rather than the default one?

holmside33
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you don't use username@username.plus.com for anything the best step is to get rid of it. So long as you don't plan on using username@newdomain.co.uk this is now fairly straight forward.

If you go to Manage My Mail you can rename the default the mailbox. Pick a new name then you can create a redirect to blackhole username@username.plus.com.

You can then use the new mailbox for receiving mail sent to the domain, so for example, call it mail and you'll receive mail sent to mail@domain and you can add aliases for any other address you need.

For the mail sent to name@username.plus.com and postmaster@username.plus.com then just use the existing mailboxes as you do now.
br1anstorm
Grafter

Dave - thanks for a really helpful response. I'm reassured. And I now have the clear steer I needed in order to embark on the setting-up of my new domain. Hope your advice will be useful to other forum readers in a similar position.

holmside33
br1anstorm
Grafter

Dave...

Maybe I spoke too soon. If I rename my default mailbox as mail@username.plus.com (in order then to redirect mail from my new domain into it) presumably I then have to create a new account in OE to download the messages which go into that mailbox?

I have just (I thought) done exactly that. But when I try send/receive, OE doesn't seem able to access that mailbox, although it can access the other mailboxes in my PlusNet account. A Logon popup appears asking me to put in username and password. I tried <username>+mail and my password, but that didn't seem to work. The error codes showing are 0x800CCC90 and 92. Have I overlooked something crucial in setting up the account in OE? I wasn't asked to input a new password when I renamed the default mailbox in the PlusNet Manage My Mail page...

holmside33
dgp
Grafter

Hi - I've done the same as you but I use Outlook. You do not need to add +mail after your username, just use your username by itself with your normal username password. This seems to work for me. Also you must make sure you have catchall turned off, otherwise you'll still get spam addressed to your old email addresses. I thought I had, but somehow it got reset to on somewhere in the process. Hope this helps. Regards - David
salts
Grafter

EDIT: Ooops, you beat me to it.

You don't need to login to username+mail to access the default mailbox, just 'username'. It's not a new mailbox as such, just renaming of the old one.

Incidentally, you _can_ set another mailbox to be the catchall, on a different section of the email settings page, and this _would_ require you to use username+mail. But it's not as neat.

However I've discovered the SPAM filtering kicks in _before_ all alias and redirects are actioned. So you will still get mail to any blackholed mailboxes in your Spam folder, which is a bit confusing!
Dev
Grafter

I just raised a ticket to switch off the virtual domain username.plus.com and use my 2 hosted domains. Now, do I have to configure new mailboxes for both domains or will I receive mails as before? eg before, mailbox created of name1@username.plus.com also created mailbox of name1@domain1.co.uk. and name1@domain2.org etc.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi - I've done the same as you but I use Outlook. You do not need to add +mail after your username, just use your username by itself with your normal username password. This seems to work for me. Also you must make sure you have

Yep, renaming the default mailbox doesn't change the username to access it so it'll still be "username" regardless of what you call it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I just raised a ticket to switch off the virtual domain username.plus.com and use my 2 hosted domains. Now, do I have to configure new mailboxes for both domains or will I receive mails as before? eg before, mailbox created of name1@username.plus.com also created mailbox of name1@domain1.co.uk. and name1@domain2.org etc.

You'll receive mail as you did before. If you've got a mailbox called name1 then at the moment that will receive mail sent to

name1@username.plus.com, name1@domain1.co.uk and name1@domain2.org

When you switch off the username.plus.com addresses it will then just receive mail sent to name1@domain1.co.uk and name1@domain2.org
Dev
Grafter

You'll receive mail as you did before. If you've got a mailbox called name1 then at the moment that will receive mail sent to

name1@username.plus.com, name1@domain1.co.uk and name1@domain2.org

When you switch off the username.plus.com addresses it will then just receive mail sent to name1@domain1.co.uk and name1@domain2.org

Thanks very much Dave.
br1anstorm
Grafter

...and can I just add my thanks to David/pearcefamily and to salts, and to Dave T again, for their responses (about four posts above) to my cry for help on this. My problem now solved - nice and simple!

And the exchange that this prompted between ramdayal and Dave T has covered what looks like being the next stage in my effort to get my new domain setup functioning. Another reminder of the helpfulness and value of the PlusNet community forum. Reminds me why (despite the spam saga) I am content to stay with PlusNet...

holmside33
Liam
Grafter

Thanks for your comments. Glad to see the spam situation has much improved for you :-)