cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer,gettin better speed +ping/only 100yrds away

N/A

why is my nephew just up the road getting far better speeds and his ping on gaming is 1 of the best about ,but mine is crap,
13 REPLIES
N/A

When you say "far better", quote some figures if you can. Are you both using the same type of connection equipment (USB or ethernet)
Chances are it is things like firewalls, virus scanners etc that can slow data down inside your machine before it gets out to the net.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

There are lots of reasons that this could happen as speed is dependant on your PC, your ADSL equipment, the qulatilty of your line, the card you are connected to at the exchange (it may be different to people down the road) and a whole load of other, unquantifiable things.

If you go to http://cgi.support.plus.com/faultreporting and check your speed we will have the info we need to investigate a problem.

Regards,
N/A

same eqipment,same firewalls ect but i,m plugged straight into main bt line box 1 feet away ,but his is cable going thru the hole house/about 100 ft cable.How is this possable,[my computer is of higher spec as well.]
N/A

http://cgi.support.plus.com/misc/miffs-21feb.htm

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Posting HTML does not work in these forums, so I have taken the output posted to this post and pasted it into the above HTML document.]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What ping times and speeds are you getting, and what about those of your nephew.

Different equipment and different lines can produce different results.
N/A

his speeds into 490s mine mostly 462,his pings low 20s mine 60 upwards.
N/A

Despite being so close to each other, there is no guarantee you are taking the same route to the exchange or the on the same card at the exchange. The next time you see one of the street corner "BT green boxes" open, peep inside and look at the spaghetti and you'll get some idea of what I mean.

If you both have the same connection equipment, compare the Loop attenuation and SNR (noise) figures. Although these figures are available on most routers, I have no idea where these will be, or if they are even available on your connection equipment.
If yours has a higher attenuation and a lower SNR, that could go someway towards your differences as your line will be of a lesser quality than his and may have more retries or packet losses.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

A speed difference of 28Kbps is not a lot, both your speeds are above average for a 512Kbps line.

The WinMTR is showing an average of 30ms which isn't showing a problem.
N/A

its ok i suppose ,i was just asking as i thought the longer bt line 2 main box in house ,it would make his worse not better.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

So long as you are using good quality cable then anything up to about 30 metres is generally fine internally.
Poor quality cable is more likely to cause disconnections than higher pings and lower speeds.
N/A

Could this be the result of MTU tweaking?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It's possible that tweaking can improve the ping time, but I wouldn't have thought it could make much of a difference as, certainly in Windows, the default packet size for ping is 32 bytes so shouldn't be affected by MTU value.
N/A

I wonder if it's possible to perform low level speed tests, below the PPPoA layer. SAR110 router diagnostics lists two ATM ping tests but these are just Pass/Fail