cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new contracts vs old

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

new contracts vs old

When the new contract were discussed in depth on here, I remember there being a promised table which would show exactly what you'd gain or lose by swapping from say my current PAYG to the new option 1 or 2 with BBYW.
Did it ever materialise? And if so where do I find it please?

Failing that, any kind soul like to highlight for me what I gain/lose by changing (just in case I'm missing something crutial) Shockedops:
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Leader
Plusnet Leader

new contracts vs old

The comparison table here shows expected speeds for all the new packages and the legacy ones.

In terms of features you shouldn't really lose anything when swapping to the new packages.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

new contracts vs old

Thanks for the speedy reply Cheesy

A lot of green on one vs a lot of red/pink on the other. I'm not sure what I use/need so maybe the saving isn't worth the risk.
Will PAYG eventually go and everyone will have to have BBYW?
Plusnet Leader
Plusnet Leader

new contracts vs old

There are absolutely no plans to move any customers to the new packages if they wish to remain on the legacy packages.

If you do want to upgrade this will be free of charge for you.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

new contracts vs old

Still pondering and still unsure Shockedops:
I could save £3.50 per month with Option 1 + a extra couple of Gigs, but I don't really understand the consequences on the speed front, or anything else for that matter!
I don't use the peer to peer stuff for downloads. I do use I-tunes, and I do use Apple movie trailers. I don't think I use VPN although I do sign on for work email - is that the same if I do it via the web or via Outlook Express?? I don't play online games either.

What do the experts think?
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

new contracts vs old

I don't think I use VPN although I do sign on for work email - is that the same if I do it via the web or via Outlook Express??

If you collect your work e-mail by signing on to webmail or by using your e-mail client then it's highly unlikely you're using VPN. Generally speaking if you're using VPN you'll know about it as you will need to configure it and to initiate a connection before you can use it.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

new contracts vs old

Thanks Peter, one point cleared up.

From those who have changed, or just those that know what they're talking about, should I make the switch?
James
Grafter

new contracts vs old

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to.

You would be able to save yourself a few pounds a month and I don't think you'll notice any difference in service to the applications that you use.
gofaster
Rising Star

new contracts vs old

I can think of a reason why you might not want to.
If you switch to BBYW then you become subject to the £40 cessation charge. That's a years worth of £3.50/month savings wiped out if you leave PN or move house.

It is surprisingly difficult to find any reference to this charge - I certainly couldn't find any mention of it on any of the pages which boast of the free set-up.
The_10th
Grafter

new contracts vs old

Good point there. I had a comment from davetomliinson I believe when I mentioned this on post a good while ago and it was stated that PN could/would help out. Whether this is true always or on individual cases only PN could answer.

I was about to mention the limited speeds to certain web download sites between 4pm to midnight or thereabouts.
James
Grafter

new contracts vs old

The £40 cessation charge is something that all ISPs will have to consider. It is currently under review by Openreach and BT Wholesale and is currently on hold, hopefully whilst they consider reviewing the charge.