cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new and sinister type of e.mail

bootletip
Grafter

I have not changed anything about the way I use my connection, I have not registered with any new sites - but suddenley I am being deluged by non delivery messages - I have latest AV and Firewall in place.

these messages are not just limited to my free PN account but also to the account that I pay approx £26.00pm for - I have my spam setting with pn set at high.

where next - apart from leaving pn, which although tempting could potentially leave me without a connection for some time.

I have set up masses of filters in the e.mail box, and I have asked that only mail directed to my exact address gets through but that fails too. I have set it so that certain spam messages get deleted at the server, but that seems to fail too.

at aloss to know where to go from here - other than plain old snail mail and telephone!
14 REPLIES
N/A

We are getting these too. Started last week. Notice a whole heap of them had come in to our postmaster account over the weekend.
Community Veteran

Hi There,

I'm afraid that you're not the only ones that have been on the receiving end of these messages.

this thread shows how other users are being affected too.

In Summary, there is a way around this known as "blackholing" your catchall email address and having specific named mailboxes.

This help and support page explains the procedure further.

I hope this helps.

Roger.
N/A

Why are these emails sinister? Just part and parcel of email these days.

Giving your email address to websites isn't a problem, it's simply using it when you send email to your friends and family. They generally won't be as good as you at having the anti-spyware, AV etc. running and up-to-date, so at least one of them will have a PC that's been compromised. Your email address will be harvested, or used as part of a from address on spam being sent from that PC or others in the botnet.

I use specific email addresses for each website I register with, and never get any spam to any of those address - I get it only to the one I use for personal emails, plus now loads of these non-del reports, to made up addresses at my domain.

So, what to do? Well, leaving PN won't help; I doubt their anti-spam stuff is much better or worse than anyone else's - and it's certainly ain't their fault that the spam or bounces are addressed to you. :-)

Does that help you? Not sure it does really - if there was a brilliant answer, we'd all be using it. Or is there oneHuh? I'd love to hear about it. :-)

Andy
N/A

Yup we know about "blackholing" etc. The only problem is that some of our existing and potential customers make mistakes with our email address and having access to the catch-all account is really useful. We could lose potential business if their emails are simply tossed aside. OK, it's usually their fault for not addressing the email correctly but we need the cash....
N/A

Sufferring too here now for about a month. Sat there on Sat arvo and watched them all arriving in real time. Must have been 1-a-minute at the worst point.
N/A

It's worse at the times when the people with compromised PCs are using them - they are sending out SPAM and the bounces will usually come in pretty fast. When their PCs are off, they don't send SPAM! :-)

It could be argued they should leave their PCs off permanently... ;-)

I read that BT are installing something to try to detect machines within their broadband customer base that have been compromised - good idea.
Community Veteran

Leaving PlusNet will not help, in the long term. About the only thing that will is if you unplug your PC, and put in back into the box it came in Wink

These `returned` mail messages are becoming a pain. But what concerns me more are the spam e-mails that are getting through looking like they came from me.

I have found that the following filter rules in Thunderbird, catch most of them.

From Contains MAILER-DAEMON
From Contains postmaster

Chilly
oliverb
Grafter

You might try directing your default mail to a different folder and then write some mail rules to try to recognise relevant mail there. I just look through the titles and recipients occasionally, oddly genuine messages still tend to stand out in a screen full of spam.
bootletip
Grafter

thunderbird filters

thanks chillypenguin.

I will try that - but again as other have said this could lead to me missing genuine returns that I need to see. but I will give anything a go.

as for times of day for bounces - I had not thought about that before, but I know that weekends are a dreadful time.

my pc is off in the evenings, so I tend to collect them first thing in the morning
Njal
Grafter

I will try that - but again as other have said this could lead to me missing genuine returns that I need to see. but I will give anything a go.

I mentioned this on a thread down the page, so apologies for repeating myself if anyone's seen this twice.

Try K9:

http://keir.net/k9.html

Regards,

Neil
dancecrave
Grafter

From Contains MAILER-DAEMON
From Contains postmaster

Chilly

Won't that stop all your non-deliverables from emails you genuinely sent?

I have set up the catch all and discreet aliases for a long time with the idea of getting all genuine addresses caught and then after a while to blackhole the default mailbox.
A word of warning - I have seen one occasion when for a period of time PN sent ALL mail through to the catch all and not the aliases I set up. If I was black holing, my genuine mail for couple of days would have been lost too :-o

Every week I go through the 1000's of spam and undeliverables in the default account - It's fairly easy to spot, group and delete the rubbish together (Thunderbird helps this), - a dirty job, but someone has to do it!

Alan
Community Veteran

Won't that stop all your non-deliverables from emails you genuinely sent?

Unfortunately that is the compromise.

Chilly

Moderators Note by James (sallyandjames) : Fixed quote tags Wink
N/A

Actually it's not as bad as it sounds, if you only screen failure notices from your default mailbox you block almost all of the bogus stuff but since genuine notices will always be addressed to a mailbox they still get through.
dancecrave
Grafter

yes .. of course Shockedops: