cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new account - can't get IP

N/A

just had my new account enabled last night, but am unable to connect.....

im using a Netgear DG824M with the latest firmware.
All lights are on as they should be, to confirm the line etc etc
in the routers status it gets as far as 'retrieving IP address' and gets no further

i called tech support last night who gave me the primary and secondary DNS servers, cant remember what they were off the top off my head (im in work at the moment) but i know they were xxx.xxx.xxx.9 and xxx.xxx.xxx.10 / now this is different from what i see in the 'connection details' on here:
Primary DNS Server 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS Server 212.159.13.50

other settings it auto detected and seem to be defaults settings.. PPPoA, VCI 0, VPI 38 (from memory!)

also, i signed up for account from my computer here in work...... for security does your server expect to see the same MAC address when i want to logon?

any pointers much appreciated, as its much easier here than bothering tech support on the telephone !

i have just moved house and this is a new account after being with another provider for 3 years or more... so i am not new to all this Wink
13 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

This is normally due to the account not being active yet, if you have a look under the link:contact us section of the website, you should see a ticket that states when your expected activation date is going to be.

With regards to your questions, we have four DNS servers, the two that you see listed under connection details and also 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 and it doesn't matter which two you use.

We don't require any details regarding the MAC address of your equipment, as the ADLS authentication doesn't work in that fashion.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

in the routers status it gets as far as 'retrieving IP address' and gets no further
There is a strong likely hood that an IP is not being assigned. The router should have a diagnostic page which specifies the WAN IP address. The router requests this address from the network during connection and not much will work until it is recieved.

i called tech support last night who gave me the primary and secondary DNS servers,
Why the heck would they do that? DNS servers have nothing to do with your issue from the sounds of it. DNS is an application layer protocol. The fault is most likely a bit lower down the stack.

The thread I started yesterday has been locked but it sounds like a similar issue. Support appear to have pushed the problem back onto you when they should be escalating it to someone that can fix it.
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36660
N/A

thanks for the speedy responce.... looks like im stuck at this stage -
"Your order is being submitted to BT for ADSL activation.
The activation process normally takes between 7 and 10 days until your line is activated.

More detailed checks will take place on your line, to confirm it will support a high-speed ADSL connection. If you are supplying your own ADSL modem or router, we recommend you wait until we confirm your line is active.

An engineer will then physically activate your line, and we can then activate your ADSL account. If you already have ADSL connection hardware, it may appear to be working before we confirm your account is active. This is a normal stage in the activation process, but you won't be able to connect to ADSL just yet."

even tho my line is active and i can see my upload/download speeds all in place
Cry suppose i'll just have to wait ......... another weekend with no BF2 :twisted:
N/A

There is a strong likely hood that an IP is not being assigned. The router should have a diagnostic page which specifies the WAN IP address. The router requests this address from the network during connection and not much will work until it is recieved.

i called tech support last night who gave me the primary and secondary DNS servers,
Why the heck would they do that? DNS servers have nothing to do with your issue from the sounds of it. DNS is an application layer protocol. The fault is most likely a bit lower down the stack.

The thread I started yesterday has been locked but it sounds like a similar issue. Support appear to have pushed the problem back onto you when they should be escalating it to someone that can fix it.
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36660

hopefully this is not the case...... but concidering i can login here would tell me my account is active ! also the router gets past the 'authentication' stage... so its logging in ok, just not being assigned an IP

as for the DNS addresses, with the router set to auto detect them i wasn't even getting as far as i am now....... hopefully i will have an IP asssigned by the time i get home from work, as BT have most defo' enabled my line and my account here is paid for and would 'appear' to be somewhat in use... otherwise surely i couldn't post here !!

***ps... i see u have a nice diving pic in your avatar.. i presume you do a bit ?? i myself am a BSAC diveleader based in Northern Ireland... sea of wrecks !!
N/A

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forums and Plus net.

The fact that you can log into the portal does mean that your account is active, however it doesnt mean your ADSL is.

Whilst your router appears to synch, BT may not have completed their work or, if they have, they havent told Plus net about it yet.

I would imagine your not far off completing the activation process and hopefully all will be sorted fairly quickly.

PS. Good to see another N.I customer on the boards. Smiley
N/A

thanks for your kind words......

yeah, i understand all that... its just me being impatient !! been without a connection now after the house move for around 1 month, so me and the young lad getting withdrawals from our online gaming !

i would like to say that so far the support i got on the phone and the speedy responce i have got here and on my tickets has been excellant so far.. long may it continue Cool

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well if you are a BSAC member I do hope you have checked our new forums
http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/
Setting up the servers has been keeping me pretty busy recently. Please drop in and say hello.

From what you say it sounds like your line is not quite active.
The way it works;
1. You sign up to +net and they create your account so you can login to the portal. You can use the order tracker to see how BT and Plus are getting on with the line activation.
2. Plus check the finance
3. BT activate the line and your modem will synch
4. Plus then have to set their equipment so you get an IP from their network
5. Your on broad band

Sometimes the process goes wrong and you need support to sort it out. I tend to find the contact us system is best for this as faults tend to get escalated up from the help desk pretty quickly. The whole fault report is traceable which saves having the same conversation three or four times.

What's annoying me at the moment is supports rather random fault finding. DNS had nothing to do with your problem. Had support looked in the right place while you were on the phone they would have worked that out. Instead you waste your time fiddling with things which are unrelated and the CS is not available to take a call while why you are at it. This randomness probably cost one of my customers over £2000 yesterday - they are even more annoyed than I am.

Hopefully see you over on the BSAC Forums
Community Veteran

1. You sign up to +net and they create your account so you can login to the portal. You can use the order tracker to see how BT and Plus are getting on with the line activation.
2. Plus check the finance
5. You’re on broadband

You missed step 3a, BT have to tell Plus.Net that they have activated your line, and its this bit that often gets missed.

Chilly
N/A

You missed step 3a, BT have to tell Plus.Net that they have activated your line, and its this bit that often gets missed.

Or 3b (mutually exclusive option with 3a), the customer notices the ADSL modem is synching and lets PN know before BT does? Wink I've probably got some of the terminology wrong, but something like this is what happened with me.

Stuart
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Not quite, it can be the case that BT have hooked up the ADSL itself but they've not hooked it up to our realm yet so the customer isn't able to authenticate. It usually doesn't happen for long.

Once that has been done, if you try and connect it will hit our RADIUS server, which will initially reject it as the account isn't active but then a script is set running which activates the account. Within about 30 minutes you should then be able to connect.
N/A

[edit]

wooo hoooo..... just got an email to say my account is now active !

so hopefully when i get home i'll be online... the boy will be happy again, fraggin in BF2 Cool
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Are you definately using the broadband username? i.e. pauldrain@plusdsl.net not just pauldrain?
N/A

haa.... you got in just before i edited my last post....
just recieved a confirmation email that i should now be online... cheers !

Moderators note by John (johnessex) full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules