cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new Domain Name and Email

N/A

Hi,

I've searched through the forums and now I'm confused... I created a free domain name as we have 3 email accounts that get hit with spam pretty bad and my wife is getting fed up with it. Currently she has 'wife@username.plus.com' and she wants 'wife@newdomainname.co.uk'.

I cannot see a way of her getting this without getting all the spam from 'wife@username.plus.com'. Maybe I'm thick ?

Help!!

Regards,
John
20 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

At this moment in time these are the same mailbox, emails sent to 'wife@newdomainname.co.uk' will arrive in 'wife@username.plus.com'. This will change very shortly, as Bob announced here, we are going to allow the username.plus.com addresses to be turned off.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
smillie-world
Grafter

Ahh... This is just the problem I was trying to sort out for myself.

I've read the FAQ, but can you clarify if turning off the username.plus.com is going to be a global setting or individual to each mailbox? For example, can I turn off fred@username.plus.com but leave jeff@username.plus.com turned on?

It mentioned that these changes are being launched the week commencing 9 July, and some stuff "over the coming week or two...". Do you have a date in mind for this particular feature, as without it the spam issue PlusNet have caused me has yet to be resolved by the introduction of a free domain name.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

AFAIK you will only be able to turn off the virtual domain completely- and not on a per mailbox basis.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

This work has now been completed, but at the moment is only available to the support team. You will need to raise a ticket if you need email turning off for a particular domain.

You can turn off any domain on your account, including username.plus.com, this will block all email sent to that domain.

It's not possible at the moment to turn off individual mailboxes, so in your case you would need to turn off all email sent to username.plus.com to combat the issue entirely.

On an alternative note, you could create a new mailbox for your wife, which has not been used before, for example wife2@newdomain.co.uk, which should resolve the issue also.
mapletree
Grafter

The latter suggestion is only for bigamists :lol:
smillie-world
Grafter

It's not possible at the moment to turn off individual mailboxes, so in your case you would need to turn off all email sent to username.plus.com to combat the issue entirely.

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that at some point it will be possible to turn off just individual mail accounts?

The reason I ask is that I when I visit a website and I need an e-mail address, I use website@username.plus.com. This way if it turns out to generate spam, I know the source of it and can re-direct it into a black hole.

Obviously, now I have a new domain and I don't want to use it for anything other than that which I 100% trust. In other circumstances I'd still like to use website@username.plus.com.

Also I have several mailboxes created such as things@username.plus.com. I now have a new domain but I find that "things" is linked to both plus.com and the new domain, therefore I want to split the relationship, but still maintain morethings@username.plus.com.
mcgerard
Grafter

I would like clarification on this as well. I have a specialname@username.plus.com which so far (fingers crossed) has been spam free so naturally I would like to keep this but turn off everythingelse@username.plus.com to cut down the spam.
Will this be possible?
Also I have registered for a free domain but would really like to have myname@mydomain.co.uk and turn off myname@username.plus.com. If this is not possible I really cannot see what the free domain offer gives us. I may as well have told my contacts to change my address to myname2@username.plus.com

So please PlusNet spell out very very clearly what will and will not be posible.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Also I have registered for a free domain but would really like to have myname@mydomain.co.uk and turn off myname@username.plus.com. If this is not possible I really cannot see what the free domain offer gives us. I may as well have told my contacts to change my address to myname2@username.plus.com

Although it's possible to blackhole individual mailboxes, this will affect both the registerd and virtual domains- e.g. mailbox@username.plus.com and mailbox@domainname.tld

Alternatively you can blackhole the entire @username.plus.com virtual domain, although this will affect all mailboxes - e.g. anything@username.plus.com

There is no way to blackhole mailbox@username.plus.com whilst allowing mail to mailbox@domainname.tld and anythingelse@username.plus.com using PlusNet systems.

This could probably be achieved by using filters in your client.
N/A

Firstly, thanks you all for the replies.

I, like others, can't really see the benefit that the 'free domain name' offers at the moment and in all honesty perhaps wished I hadn't bothered registering for it. I suppose I will just wait and see what else can be done in the longer term and hope PN will develop a system that will allow us to turn off individual mailboxes.

In the real world I have already been through a 'Wife' to 'wife2' change and have no intentions of ever moving to 'wife3'!! :shock:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Hi stallan,

Good news! We can now turn off the username.plus.com addresses, this will mean emails sent to anything@username.plus.com won't be received and you will only receive emails sent to @domain.co.uk.

If you want to do this then just raise a ticket requesting it and one of our support guys will do it for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
mbyrt
Grafter

New Domain and E-mail

I wish I could say 'hurrah' to the posting immediately before mine.

I registered a new free domain, but test messages to it do not get redirected to my default mailbox username@username.plus.com. The messages just vanish.

I have tried setting up a mailbox
newusername@domain.co.uk, but this ends up showing as newusername@oldusername.plus.com.

I shall be quite happy to relinquish the new free domain and be able to change my username, deleting the original defualt one completely.
lingbob
Grafter

Dude!

Hi stallan,

Good news! We can now turn off the username.plus.com addresses, this will mean emails sent to anything@username.plus.com won't be received and you will only receive emails sent to @domain.co.uk.

If you want to do this then just raise a ticket requesting it and one of our support guys will do it for you.

As soon as I read this, I raised a ticket and requested it. Got confirmation back to the effect that "Catch-All" had been disabled (eh?), then setup a new mailbox and as soon as I received confirmation (to my non-PN addy) that the new mailbox was operational, I sent a test message to my_new_mailbox@my-PN_hosted_domain

Guess wot, it hasn't arrived yet :lol:

Later .....

Finally arrived, as did the test email to my_new_mailbox@username.plus.com

Turning off username.plus.com doesn't appear to work. Perhaps CSC didn't flick the right switch?
mbyrt
Grafter

I am frustrated with the whole business. If I try and log into the new mailbox (set up at the same time as the free domain) and use username+ new mailbox nume plus either the new password for the new mailbox or my PlusNet password, I get the message that either the login or password is incorrect.

I have found the whole affair extremely time wasting. All I want is for my domain to be scrapped in the hope that a change of usrename will remove the stream of spam now filling the online folder with some getting through to my inbox.
home99
Grafter

Ok, so I understand (and am using) the new free domain as an alternative email address. But how do I send an email using the domain address?

E.G If I send an email using outlook will the reply email address not be @username.plus.net rather than @domainname.co.uk?

I have a feeling someone is going to hit me with a wet fish here and shout stoopid!

Cheers

Dave