cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my view on the BBP situation

N/A

just found this on another forum (also talking about PlusNet) and chuckled when I found it as I thought it quite topical.
Its an interesting analogy

In a bid to cut motorway congestion for the majority of road users within the UK, the UK government has come up with a new motorway initiative.
The government has proposed that all road users who regularly travel in excess of one thousand miles on the motorway will now be disallowed from using them, forcing the use of country lanes and smaller roads.

A government spokesman today announced, “The government is doing all it can to reduce motorway congestion for the majority, no longer will we have the problem of congestion for the foreseeable future. It will also save the tax payer billions of pounds per year, with the reduction in motorway maintenance.”

The Prime Minister will be holding a press conference later on today.

Its a good comparison in a way.
We have unlimited usage of our roads, imagine they did turn round and said to a load of people 'You are driving too fast on this road and the other drivers are being affected by the speed you drive at. Tell you what, we are going to build a new single lane road for you but dont worry, You can still drive as fast as your car will allow though even though the road restricts them to 5mph' .
Wink

and before anyone mentions it, I'm not on the bad boy pipe, I was warned about it but for some reason didnt get moved.

anyway, I think I'm the famous one. Everyones mentioned the lower use user who downloaded 140Gb a month and the higher users were 500Gb.

well I think I'm that lower user, well my average for the 3 months was 135Gb.
quite a low month in some respects for me.
even after the warning I didnt actively change my downloading habits, I just couldnt find anything interesting to download Wink
I do download TV episodes as I cant get a signal on my TV (honestly) to watch them in the first place so I think I'm within my rights as a TV license payer to get my moneys worth from another source. I play xbox online too every week usually.

as it has been mentioned before. I know the low usage users cant understand how us higher usage users manage to download so much, but I'm of the same thinking towards low usage users. Why have such a high speed always on connection if you dont use more than a gig a month ?
you could download a Gb a month easily on a dial up connection.
I remember the good old days of dialup, start downloading a CD on a friday night, go away for the weekend and come back on sunday to still find it downloading!

Even though I love downloading and use anywhere from 0gb to 10Gb a day, I would agree that 2 weeks (at most) wouldnt have been enough time for most people to curb their downloading. I know if I had downloaded 10GB everyday up until the warning, there is no chance in hell I could have done anything about getting moved over to the BBP.

I have been with plusnet for nearly 2 years now, 1Mb for the last year.
I was led to believe when I got the account it was unlimited in all respects so I made best use of it and have continued to, although the reports of crap speeds on the BBP have made me think where do I go from here.
do I restrict myself to 100Gb a month or go somewhere else, but I do believe that BT in their almighty power will probably force caps on wholesale so every ISP would be affected in the long run.
kinda defeats the purpose of having high speed connections though.

a thread on another forum mentioned that anyone using this much bandwidth must be downloading and selling the dodgy stuff in pubs.
Thats a very small minded view to take. Thats the sort of people who believe that everyone who has pirated DVDs is contributing to worldwide terrorism and is funding Al-CIAda , as well as gun/drug running etc etc.
anything to cause fear in the minds of people. The goverment has done a good job of instilling fear into the minds of people by saying ooooh terrorist threat this , and terrorist threat that,. balls!
but people will believe it and linking dvd downloading etc to terrorism is sufficient to scare the wits out of people.

bet those same scared people are the low usage users :lol:

I'm now awaiting barrage of abuse from low usage users . :roll:
25 REPLIES
N/A

What a top post.

Sir I salue you :lol:

I wish the guy who downloaded 600GB in one month would show, i'd love to find out what his total for 3months was.

Actually can anyone from Plusnet give us this figure? You dont have to mention usernames etc, just the biggest total usage for 3 months from all of the bad boys.
Highlighted
N/A

he's on the irc channel Wink

efnet.demon.co.uk #lamenet
Ianwild
Grafter

Of the top users, we had 4 customers as clear winners, each doing in excess of 1.5TB over a 3 month period.

I would add to the user with 135GB usage, that the monitoring period we used was fixed for everyone, not related to individual billing periods, so the numbers in View My usage may not quite tally up.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Nice speeds

http://slenderdeer.50megs.com/Plusnet/Image2.jpg

I WANT MY CONNECTION TO BE REASONABLE.

It is cruel to deny disabled people a right to a servcie to which they are paying for.

It is called descrmination. Ian I woudl gladly show you my a medical document proving I am on long term sick.
N/A

Of the top users, we had 4 customers as clear winners, each doing in excess of 1.5TB over a 3 month period.

Ok people may look at that I think it's insane (I agree!), but credit to Plusnet for their network even being able to take this much from one user and credit to that user for being able to find 1.5TB of data to download.

What the hell was he doing, archving the internet :lol:
N/A

No doubt plenty of p0rn LOL.
N/A

how do i find my usage over the last three month
N/A

Go into your accounts setting to the far left and tehre should be usage icon there.
N/A

If I was inclined to (and my ISP allowed it Wink ) I could easily max out my connection 24/7 365 as its easy enough to find stuff to download.
Even if you had a premium usenet account there are enough binary groups to keep your downloading going, plus add on other resources like FTP, p2p, web etc etc then there is a wealth of downloadable material about.

Admittedly you would surely reach a point where you couldnt find anything new, but there will always be something about.

and BTW, poppy123, no need to hijack my thread with your download speed issues, there are plenty of threads related to the speed of downloading, this thread was simply about my opinion.
Did I bring up speeds ? nope

anyway back to downloading.. when I told a friend of mine (also on plusnet) that I had a warning email for downloading too much, he did ask the question 'I thought you had downloaded the whole internet by now' Smiley
N/A

It is cruel to deny disabled people a right to a servcie to which they are paying for.

It is called descrmination. Ian I woudl gladly show you my a medical document proving I am on long term sick.

Are you suggesting that plusnet "denied" the service because you are disabled? If not, it is not discrimination.
N/A

No what I meant was it is descrimination to deny others a reasonable service whilst many others a reasonable service. However it did look that way just I didnt explain myself correctly.
N/A

400 gb in 3 month and they moan to the guy who dun 1.5t/b we salute you.
N/A

No what I meant was it is descrimination to deny others a reasonable service whilst many others a reasonable service. However it did look that way just I didnt explain myself correctly.

Isnt discrimination when people are denied an equal service unfairly? You're the ones that have created excess amounts of traffic, how is that unfair?

Surely its more unfair on the light-moderate users as theyre the ones subsidizing the cost to maintain the traffic you generate?
N/A

I have to admit i was one of the people who did over 600 gig in a month.

Here are my figures for the last 3 months.

Oct-Nov
610.82GB

Sep-Oct
433.73GB

Sep-Sep
20.8GB

Now i have re looked at what i have been downloading and to be honest most of it was either junk or i never would have the time to use. An in case anyone thinks i have been selling this stuff no i havent and never would in a million years.
I think the biggest problem is there is a thinking that i have paid for this so im going to use it as much as possible. I know i did i would download anything i could. My computer was on 24/7 and for the first time in months my pc is finaly getting a rest at night.
My daily average was about 20 gig.
After relooking at my downloading habits here is my last few days figures.

Wed 01
436.84MB

Thur 02
310.85MB

I guess it took the BBP to finaly teach me the error of my ways lol