Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my speed ! ( max asdl )

ady
Grafter

my speed ! ( max asdl )

right, so i use to be on 1.1mb

now i synch at 1.3mb bras profile, 500kb -.-
its been over3 days now since i sysnch ata steady 1.3mb not going under with no disconns,

i learnt today that my next door neighbour, just got upgraded to a stable 2mb line (upto 2mb)

ppl on these forums told me with my SNR of 14, i should be getting 3mb ish

why am i gettin such slow speeds Sad
will my bras increase ?
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

my speed ! ( max asdl )

Hi,

Normally increases in the BRAS profile take around 3-5 days, so it should be done within the next couple of days.

The BT line check for your line estimates a maximum speed of 512kbps, it's likely that 1.5Mbps is going to be the highest stable speed it will support. It may be able to sync at a higher rate but it's likely that doing so would see the line become unstable (which is the likely reason for the 14dB SNR), BT have probably increased it because the line has been seen to be unstable.
ady
Grafter

my speed ! ( max asdl )

erm higher snr is better isnt it o.O

i thaught max dsl was better because it increase synch to about 6db, and lose about 6db per extra 1mb increase...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

my speed ! ( max asdl )

Yeah, the higher the SNR the better and by default BT will aim for the line to sync with a 6dB SNR. However in some cases this is too low, particularly longer lines or where there's some kind of external interference. In these cases the systems at BT increase the target SNR so that in syncs at say 9, 12dB or 15dB. Each step up lowers the speed by roughly 0.5Mbps.

So your line is probably capable of sync'ing around 3Mbps, but chances are would disconnect a lot, probably to the point where it was unusable for much of the day, so it syncs at a lower rate.
shellsong
Grafter

my speed ! ( max asdl )

Each step up lowers the speed by roughly 0.5Mbps.

More like 25% isn't it, Dave?