cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my 2meg broadband speed...

andy020
Grafter

hello im a 2 meg premium member of plusnet so why is my speed at 255kps today...

will my broadband modem need a reboot?
9 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

There could be many reasons why you're getting slow speeds today. I'd suggest a couple of initial checks, firstly check your exchange in the exchange checker Then if that doesn't show any VP issues in your exchange, I'd suggest running through the BT Speed Checker to see if there is a general issue with your line. However, if you get slow speeds with this checker during peak times, then this doesn't always indicate a line issue, and you'd have to run a test between midnight and 7am in order to see if you have a line issue or not
andy020
Grafter

My exchange is green and the BT speed test is only 1327kps ... so somthing is wrong some where... What should i do next...
Wheelie
Grafter

Chances are that its contention on the exchange even though its being reported as green since they are not always accurate. If you are still up during the early hour then test it again and see what happens.
andy020
Grafter

I did a speed test between 12pm and 7am and it still was at 1117kps what is recommended i do?
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

If you're getting slow speeds during those times, then it would appear to be a BT issue. Unfortunately, with you still getting speeds that high, its a case of waiting for them to find something in your exchange that is causing a problem and fix it, as we're unable to raise a speed fault to them unless your speed drops bellow 400kbps.
andy020
Grafter

but the problem is my speed have dropped below that over the last 2 months just a couple of days ago i got 255kps..
JonathanW
Grafter

Unfortunately, as I said, unless you've got speed test results, using the BT speed checker, where your speeds do drop that low during the midnight to 7am time slot, we're not able to raise the fault to BT. As all they'll do is close the fault off saying that the line is operating within acceptable levels for a 2mb line.
N/A

andrewgreen020,

As Jon mentioned you would need results from the BT speed test between the hours of 00:00 (mignight) and 07:00. I know this isnt always easy and staying up the night isnt very enjoyable.

I found a post a little while back which contained a nice little script made by another Plusnet user.
It allows you to perform BT speed tests without being at your system.

To get it Download it now

Hope this helps you and allows you to sleep Smiley

Regards,
andy020
Grafter

thank you