cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multicast from the BBC. watching TV over the internet

N/A

The BBC say that multicast is a better way to view online data streams, and would alow them to stream various BBC tv channels over te internet to UK icence fee payers.
This link explains in more detail:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/info/multicast.shtml

right at the bottom it has a list of service providers who have signed up for this, Plus net isn't one. But it says that their signing new ISP's. So perhaps Plusnet would consider joining so we can watch TV over our nice new speeded up broadband connections

heres where I found out about it::
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=315251
30 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Sadly, Pn aren't taking much of an interest in Multicast.
See this thread.

Perhaps customer power will persuade them to do it, if enough of us are keen?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi

We currently peer with AS-BBC-R&D on the LoNAP multicast peering point. There are some multicast trial streams available (BBC Radio broadcasts and News 24) and we successfully tested the delivery of these streams to a small number broadband users (including myself) at the beginning of this year.

Currently there are no mulitcast streams available from AS-BBC as this is still a trial service but the BBC are working towards having all BBC channels live on a production service (this could be at the back-end of this year).

So already being involved in the trial services and knowing we have a network ready for delivering multicast streams to broadband users (we discovered a number of defects related to multicast on our Junipers that have now been fixed) we will hopefully be one of the first ISPs to offer the production service.
N/A

...thereby presumably redlining the network utilisation graph for ever more....

I vote No to multicast. Get a TV.

Simon
N/A

I vote yes, if only for the fact that it means i dont have to buy a tv or tv licence and can still watch and record tv proggies Wink

Watched Dr.Who on saturday on bbc multicast, not bad quality actually... shame they've moved the test signal again. Seems too many other people watched on it too Cheesy
Alecto
Grafter

we will hopefully be one of the first ISPs to offer the production service.

That sounds good, thank you. It would be helpful if the other Pn staff were aware of this as their comments have not been so positive.
Alecto
Grafter

IWatched Dr.Who on saturday on bbc multicast, Cheesy

Is this something other people can do (and if so, how)? (Not watch Dr Who, but watch test multicast broadcasts)
channel
Grafter

I am baffled as to why PN would want to push forward with providing this service, given that most of its customers are on "uncapped" accounts.

Surely this type of service is just another outlet for users to act as bandwidth hogs, downloading high bandwidth video (albeit, in this case, legitimately) time and time again, putting strain on the network through consistently high levels of traffic (not "bursty" traffic, as PN prefers).

I would have thought PN would be actively disincentivised from being at the forefront of rolling out such a service.

As more services like this take off, marketed with all the might of the BBC, the likelihood of FUP2: The Sequel seems to increase, it seems to me.
N/A

I agree wholeheartedly...

By all means do it, but work it some way so that it doesn't impact any normal people who are quite happy to watch TV on.... blimey, a TV!!!!!
ceridwen
Grafter

Watched Dr.Who on saturday on bbc multicast, not bad quality actually... shame they've moved the test signal again. Seems too many other people watched on it too Cheesy

Most of the US fanbase judging by the Dr Who forums!

Matthew
ceridwen
Grafter

Multicast should be easier on the bandwidth. As I understand the technology if 100 people watch a singlecast video stream from the BBC (as they can already) at 256Kbps, the total impact on the PN pipes is 25,600Kbps or around 25Mbps. On the other hand 100 people watching a multicast video on 256Kbps will only have an inpact of 256Kbps (as in effect they are all tapping into the same stream rather than each having their own dedicated stream).

Hence ISPs are interesting in multicast as it allows much better quality video, and can support quite a lot of live video feeds without a major impact on their infrastructure (apart from any router upgrades needed to enable multicast in the first place).

Matthew
N/A

I don't see how you could be called a bandwidth hog for using tv on demand, which is perfectly legal and is really the way things are going.

This sort of thing, though, is where the current way bandwidth is charged for falls over and hopefully will be changed. This country is already falling behind on speed, we don't need to fall behind even further on the internet.

Like it or not, more bandwith intensive products are coming and plusnet, amongst others needs to be looking into this, and forcing BT to back down on it's high prices rather than bowing down and not allowing it.
N/A

What can PlusNet do, except switch providers?

That means one of a few results:

1: LLU through wholesale channels or self-investment

Means they are reliant on the coverage of another company, or investing huge amounts to rollout there own network.

Besides which, many exchanges are not available to LLU partnership, due to size and technical issues.

2: DataStream

Or DataScream as some call it. Is reliant on a wholesale partner having capacity in the exchange.

DataStream can be very unreliable, due to the cost saving measures needed to provide at sub-IPStream prices.
N/A

Well they have already said they are looking at LLU.

They need to force BT to lower their prices, using market forces and preesure, veiled threats of moving to LLU maybe?

BT as its dominant position is eroded may well get cheaper. But if plusnet and others just roll over then it will never get cheaper
N/A

View castnet and get shaped?