cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

msn file sending

Barra
Grafter

msn file sending

I am unable to send any files, photos etc when on MSN messenger though I can receive them. It says to contact my ISP tegarding this so here I am.
--
I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong! Smiley Ade
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: msn file sending

> I am unable to send any files, photos etc when on MSN messenger though I can receive them. It says to contact my ISP tegarding this so here I am.

Hi Barra,

There are no restrictions that should prevent you from sending files through msn. Are you using a firewall and could this be blocked in the config. settings? Perhaps you could try using another IM client just to see if the siuation is the same?

Another possibility is that the problem lies at the end of the receiver - they may be blocking incoming filed, unless this is the same with all contacts?

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

> I am unable to send any files, photos etc when on MSN messenger though I can receive them. It says to contact my ISP tegarding this so here I am.
>
> --
> I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong! Smiley Ade

Hi its most likely that your using NAT which MSN Messenger does not support at the moment.

Here is more info

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q278887&
Barra
Grafter

Cheers Dean. That does seem to be my problem. I suppose this also applies to the reason why I cant logon to winmx with a primary connection?
Well that the problems identified I presume, now all I need is someone tp tell me how to solve a it seeing as I am a thickie on this type of stuff.
For the record I am on NAT enabled routing. I also have a choice of traditional IP routing. If I can use this and I do will this sort it?
All help appreciated.
--
N/A

> Cheers Dean. That does seem to be my problem. I suppose this also applies to the reason why I cant logon to winmx with a primary connection?
> Well that the problems identified I presume, now all I need is someone tp tell me how to solve a it seeing as I am a thickie on this type of stuff.
> For the record I am on NAT enabled routing. I also have a choice of traditional IP routing. If I can use this and I do will this sort it?
> All help appreciated.
>
> --

Hi not sure about Winmx never used it, as for NAT and IP Routing I'd give it a try if it dont work just set it back you have nothing to loose! NAT Routing seems to affect many Messaging progs for file transfers and also Voice/Video chatting, I think ICQ will work over NAT but you do need to open a port for it. The only definate fix I think is for the developers to write progs that are NAT friendly which I think will happen as more and more people use it.

Good luck!
Dean.
N/A

msn file sending

which firewall are you using....
Barra
Grafter

> which firewall are you using....

Hi Alan. Not "using" one as such. The router, a webramp 600i(baby to nokia 155 I believe) has a built in firewall.
Hope this helps you help me. Cheers.
--
N/A

> > which firewall are you using....
>
> Hi Alan. Not "using" one as such. The router, a webramp 600i(baby to nokia 155 I believe) has a built in firewall.
> Hope this helps you help me. Cheers.
>
> --

I too use the nokia IP55 and MSN wont work, from the settings I have seen in my router I dont think it will work, My firmware is version 1.0.0.0 and I have found a few bugs in it what version are you using?

Dean.
N/A

> > which firewall are you using....
>
> Hi Alan. Not "using" one as such. The router, a webramp 600i(baby to nokia 155 I believe) has a built in firewall.
> Hope this helps you help me. Cheers.
>
> --

I have a idea that might work if you try this link

http://"YOUR ROUTER IP ADDRESS"/nat.htm

and add the local ip address of the PC you want to have access to MSN file sharing this might work as all the router then does is any requests it gets and does not know what to do with them rarther than drop them it sends them to the ip that you specified.

I would try it on mine but I'm at work and cant tell at the moment! This will open your PC up to the internet though and you will have not protection from the firewall built into the router, I suggest using Tiny Personal Firewall if you do this.

Let me know how you get on
Dean.
Barra
Grafter

Hi Alan and Doug. The webramp versiom I am using is 2.20.0.0. I don't think this makes it a newer version as the webramp is older than the nokia. I have already added the pc address to the nat/htm page so this doesn't work for me. Let me know how you get on when you return from work.
--
Barra
Grafter

May I just add that msn file sending is no longer a problem on my ADSL line. Why? Because I no longer have an active ADSL. It went off and hasn't been seen since. I have raised a ticket, but, as last time when I initially waited for a connection, people have been dragging their heels. So since the start of the month I have been able to use ADSL for just a few nights. Oh the wonders of technology. Yhink i'll go back to 2 tin cans and a piece of string. At least that was reliable Sad

--