cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem

Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

I have a binatone adsl 500 just wondering if anyone has the problems i'm having when i try to connect for the first time windows says cannot detect modem or usb or does not recognize also the two arrows on the task bar either stay yellow with the message training or stay red with the message modem not responding hope somebody can help have raised no end of tickets but to no avail Pam
41 REPLIES
N/A

modem

You are indicating a number of problems, no USB and no Modem detected, continuos training, are all entirely different problems.
If your OS does not support USB (WinNT for example), you will never get the modem to work. You will need to be a bit more specific rather than a scatter gun approach.
Chances are, the drivers have been installed incorrectly.
Read through this thread, where someone ( third or more posts down) has explained how to uninstall and re-install the modem correctly.
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14729

If that does not help, it could be a USB power related issue.Try a USB2 powered hub
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

modem

Hi Pam,

You say the first time you try and connect you have the problem, does this mean it is OK if you try it again or if you leave it. Or do you have to unplug and then reconnect the modem?
If this is the case then it sounds like a power management problem. Try booting the PC without the modem connected and then plug it in once it's started up. I'd also advise that you ensure you have all the latest drivers for your PC and motherboard.
Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

Thanks for the replies i,m not very technical but i was told to uninstall and then install which i did and it seemed to work for a couple of days until now everything has worked perfectly it's just been in the last 2weeks i,ve had this problem , i have windows xp and yes its only the first time when i connect this happens , like first thing in the morning , i could disconnect now and re connect and its fine.
pcorker
Grafter

modem

I'm guessing that she has a "2 lights modem" ?
Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

Hi pcorker

Yes i do have a two lights modem are there problems with these ones then please let me know
Pam
pcorker
Grafter

modem

Sorry, I've got the currrent 3 lights model and I thought you might be getting advice specific to that.
If it's worked OK since Nov then the first step must be to consider if you have made any changes to your computer or if you installed any new programs, firewalls,anti-virus, patches, upgrades etc.
If you also post a few details about your system folk may be able to help better.
Pamjmorris
Grafter

system information

Processor=Genuine intel family 15model 11.8
Maths support=present
Bus type=1 parallel, 2serial
Memory=256 MB
Hard disk=57.27 GB
Multimedia=sound CD-ROM
Video=1024x768 in 64 colour
Windows xp s.1 build 2600

i hope this makes sense , i have no upgrades the only new programe installed is nortons firewall which since installing i have noticed is has slowed things up a bit , also nortons system works and anti Virus but no probs with these.
N/A

modem

Forget my previous advice on the thread for installation. That relates to the 3 light version. I assumed you were a new user.

Your last post indicates that it is a power management issue with your PC and the modem.
Firstly ensure you have no other USB device plugged in and try again.
To overcome power issues, you have two main options:
1/ Obtain a good powered USB2 hub and plug the modem into that.
2/ Dump the USB modem and get a network card and ethernet modem/router

Option 2 may be the more expensive, but will give the least problems and future upgradeability
pcorker
Grafter

modem

If the Nortons was installed concurrent with the fault appearing it would seem a likely candidate.
The test would be to try the morning start with and without.
Is the firewall configured to autostart when the computer starts?
Try disabling that setting, starting up and then starting it manually through the start menu. For a start :lol:
Pat.
N/A

modem

Norton stuff can really knacker a PC if it is running at high CPU utilisation.
With you saying the PC slowed down, I would guess that it is running at high CPU utilisation.
However, I still think it is a power issue.
Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions i will try by disabling the nortons firewall and see how that goes , but the modem probs did start before i installed the firewall i just noticed after having installed the firewall things slowed down but i will give anything a go thanks Pam
Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

Hi

Didnt have time to disable the nortons firewall yet so its still very slow loading i presume this is because of the firewall but guess what i connected straight away with no prob so it cant be a power issue any more suggestions thanks Pam
N/A

modem

Still do not rule out a power problem. It can be intermittant, depending upon what else is going on within your PC.
Pamjmorris
Grafter

modem

Hi
Have been advised to contact binatone to carry out power issue which i,ve done , also disabled nortons firewall computer definately a lot faster so just using windows xp basic firewall do you think thats ok Pam