cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating

N/A

migrating

how long would it take to migrate from plusnet, and would i have to do anything with regards to my direct debit....
15 REPLIES
N/A

migrating

there is no positive or concrete answer to how long it could take. They say you should allow up to 12 days and yet people have reported record times of 5 days.

As far as your direct debit goes you shouldnt have to do anything although as with anything in life it pays to monitor it to be safe.

I would suggest asking for your mac 1 day prior to when you would normally get your notification of billing. Then use the mac key 12 - 13 days prior to your next notification. This would ensure your utilizing as much of your paid for period as possible and there should be enough time in which to move.

But in light of all the above, may I ask whats causing you to think about moving please?

Regards,
N/A

migrating

well, for starters speed isues.
download bandwidth.
quality of the service.
and i was also told that the migration should happen the same day.
N/A

Re: migrating

Thats a new one for me. Instant migrations?? Nah I dont buy it Smiley

As for the other issues I cant comment in the same light as for me the service has always been relatively decent and stable. Sure there have been a couple of times but even then this was sorted in an orderly fashion.

Could I ask you in what way the speed issues have affected you?
N/A

migrating

well my line should be capable of 6.5mb but when i do speed tests i only get 5000 = 4.8
N/A

migrating

right...

How do you know you should be capable of 6.5Mb?
How have you been measuring your actual throughput?
Have you considered other factors at play?
N/A

migrating

You need to check your modem's "sync" speed. If its a usb modem, windows will probably tell you this information via a diagnostic application.

For an external router that connects via a network cable, then you should be able to use the web front end.

If the sync speed is 5000 or 5500, then the speed you are getting is the maximum for your line and changing isps will not change this.

Have you tried a BT speedtest ? (Therefore cutting PN out of the loop)

What does http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome say?

and finally...

What is your stable rate? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
N/A

migrating

right my stable rate is 7000 bt say 6.5 - 8.0 and my modem is constantly sync at 7616..
N/A

migrating

Ok,

The other points though are that ok you may have done a speed test but the server there may have had a busy period. Then you have to think about your exchange. Is it busy, congested?

Try using a download manager and setting a good number of large files to download at once and see what the overall download speed is.

Regards,
N/A

migrating

As a concrete example, I'm currently at a line speed of 6720 Kb/s, so my limit should be 5.5Mb/s. Yesterday and today I got the following results:
20-Aug-2006 04:31 - 4700.1 - 378.8
20 Aug 2006 12:20 - 3199.9 - 373.1
20-Aug-2006 18:36 - 3865.0 - 379.1
21-Aug-2006 06:07 - 5050.4 - 380.3
(the first one might have been still at a 5 Mb/s BRAS limit)

So I also wouldn't be surprised if dabadoo's problem was just contention. I have to repeat my usual comment that these figures are using ADSL Guide test as I rarely get sensible answers from the BT or PN speed tests.
James
Grafter

how long would it take to migrate from plusnet, and would i have to do anything with regards to my direct debit....

Migrations should take 5 working days.

With regards to the direct debit, once your migration has occurred, we would be informed by BT that this had happened and we would stop billing you outside of your 30 days notice.

Never does any harm in raising a ticket once you have migrated though, just in case we don't get the notification from BT.
N/A

migrating

thanks for the help guys... Cheesy
N/A

migrating

tried downloading 5 large files that are between 350-600mb and roughly they combine at 600-700 vary's, it drops lower and then go's higher.
Maddy
Grafter

Thats a new one for me. Instant migrations?? Nah I dont buy it Smiley

As for the other issues I cant comment in the same light as for me the service has always been relatively decent and stable. Sure there have been a couple of times but even then this was sorted in an orderly fashion.

Could I ask you in what way the speed issues have affected you?

:lol: Mine took about 10 mins and thats the truth.
N/A

tried downloading 5 large files that are between 350-600mb and roughly they combine at 600-700 vary's, it drops lower and then go's higher.

So wouldnt it be fair to say the limiting factor in your speed is the speed at which the servers can upload and not at which you can download?