cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating wooohooo first time in days ive smiled

N/A

ive got my mac code and signed up elsewhere so can i now cancel my direct debit before you start taking loads of cash of me again.
13 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

Bye bye. More capacity on the pipes to go around, then :lol:
N/A

Which it looks like we need now because PN are really sucking with their speeds, have you seen how many people are complaining on the 2mb service now? They're getting 512kbit after paying £15...coincidentally meaning PN made £3.27 out of them.
N/A

See you. Cheesy

As far as I can see the only folk complaining are people who are worried about these "caps", and if they're going to download that amount of stuff then I'm glad they'll be doing it elsewhere.

Incidentally to those worrying about these caps. Has it occured to you that you could actually download 600Gb for two months running, then 230Gb the next, then 600, then 230 etc. I'm not sure exactly why anyone would consider that a limitation on a service?
N/A

its a principle thing m8, sold one thing given another and incidentally i think the most i have managed to dl in a mth is 30gb, but i signed up to an unlimited ie downloads service.
N/A

I agree it's the principal. I also can't live with this port blocking or having forcing transparent proxies forced on us.The redbacks really screw up my work.
ceridwen
Grafter

However PN don't do port blocking or transparent proxies on the Premier accounts (either pre or post FUP)

Matthew
N/A

They do Ceridwen , they are currently blocking port 445 and 135 and if you send traffic out on these ports it re-direct's your browser to a plunet web page telling you to virus scan your windows machine.
I'm a security analyst and need access to these ports and send traffic out over them using my freebsd box, and yes i have a premier account.
N/A

The FUP would benifit me i think. If it was just me using the connection. You see, i live in a flat with 4 other students, and while our usage comes in at around the 30gb mark (above/ below) per month, i really do not want to have to run around checking usages and telling people to stop downloading things. They dont know much about PC's, just how to make them download rubbish...

Sure.. i could go on a more expensive package.. but why bother? When i move house i will look for a 1mb account with no limits (ukonline maybe, 500gb is tantamount to unlimited for us) at a reasonable price, and not have to worry about anything.

Plus they have royaly pee'd me off with this whole "upgrade" fiasco. 2mb users get absolutly nothing out of it.

So come july, ill be elsewhere too, maybe see you on their forums? Smiley
ceridwen
Grafter

They do Ceridwen , they are currently blocking port 445 and 135 and if you send traffic out on these ports it re-direct's your browser to a plunet web page telling you to virus scan your windows machine.

They certainly don't do transparent proxies.

As for the anti-virus blocks on 135 and 445 - that is true but those are the only ports blocked (are even recommended not to be used over the internet by Microsoft) and PN do mention that on the sign up pages (certainly they did when I signed up last July).

I'm a little confused if it is so important for your work that you can send out on these ports, why you didn't migrate when PN introduced those blocks (as I said, these were in place when I joined 9 months ago, and from what I gather were introduced over 18 months ago...)

Matthew
soulAdequate
Dabbler

Out of interest, what on earth is the significance of ports 135/445?
LiamM
Grafter

These ports are often used by viruses / trojans and are not recommended for normal use. As such, Plusnet block these ports and if any data is attempted through them then you are redirected to a page recommending that you do a virus scan.
N/A

Which it looks like we need now because PN are really sucking with their speeds, have you seen how many people are complaining on the 2mb service now? They're getting 512kbit after paying £15...coincidentally meaning PN made £3.27 out of them.

I've just been moved to 1mbps and as you mentioned above, the line was throttled at 512kbps as before .. but a few minutes after I raised a ticket, the 512kpbs restriction was lifted. I've moaned about plusnet support guys before, but I'll praised them this time.
N/A

135/445 are ports relating to MS Windows filesahring and domain management.

Even Microsoft recomend the use of a VPN, should people have the requirment for applications that use 135 over a WAN.