Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mepis linux

smokeyone
Grafter

mepis linux

Hello

Has anyone had success connecting mepis linux via a netgear DG834 router.
If so, how did you do it please. Win xp fine, other linux distro - Kanotix, Knoppix, Ubuntu also fine but not mepis.........

Thanks in hope
22 REPLIES
Sproglet
Grafter

mepis linux

Are you sure mepis has drivers for your network card and the network is set to get it's address via DHCP? (I assume your router is setup to hand out DHCP to clients)
JonathanW
Grafter

mepis linux

Further to losprog's comments above, what happens when you try and ping the router's private IP address from mepis?
shellsong
Grafter

mepis linux

What happens when you try going to http://192.168.0.1/ from your browser-- in my experience I have had no problems with Simply Mepis live CDs, never mind a full install, although I must admit I haven't used Mepis for half a year now.

Ubuntu is the flavour of the moment although I think the machine in my son's bedroom that he accesses remotely from Uni is running Mepis

Edit: Actually I would be surprised if Mepis can't trump Ubuntu at setting up your system because Warren's Meauto has always been excellent and, although the Ubuntu hardware detection is very good too, Ubuntu is more selective over what it uses from the Debian repositories.

Presumably your difficulty is to to do with proper detection of your PC's network hardware as implied by the other two posters.
N/A

mepis linux

I've got Mepis 3.4-2 RC1 on one of my PCs and it works fine with the DG834. If the network card is configured it can't really fail to work unless you set it up with a fixed IP address in a different subrange to the router.
If you type ifconfig (as root) what do you get?

Eric
N/A

mepis linux

What happens when you try going to http://192.168.0.1/ from your browser

His router may not be using 192.168.0.1, I know mine sure isn't, as anyone security conscious knows thats the range that people generally use so is likely to be the first tried when someone hits your router.

As asked previously what happens when you type ifconfig, because if you're network card has a driver and its actually plugged into the network (also your router must be sending out IP's via DHCP) then you should have no problems. I can however recommend slackware as a good distribution if you want to try something different.
shellsong
Grafter

mepis linux

I only suggested http://192.168.0.1/ because it's the default for that router-- I'll try to be more intelligent about it in future! Shockedops: Smiley
smokeyone
Grafter

mepis linux

Thanks all for the advice.
No ping

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:468 (468.0 b) TX bytes:468 (468.0 b)

address is 192.168.0.1 same as instructions

All okay two months ago, then connection got slower & slower & slower from booting up. Now not at all. I am referring to connecting to the internet, not downloading etc, just the connection.
Did not touch any settings or add hardware/software
N/A

mepis linux

Well that shows you currently only have the loopback device, not a network connection, first check, make sure all cables are secured, then try running dhcpcd eth0 (eth0 is the standard for first ethernet device). If you don't get anything then you don't have a driver for your network card. It may be a case of the card has died however, but that explains why you can't see anything through it.
shellsong
Grafter

mepis linux

I wouldn't have thought the ethernet hardware was dead if other distros have worked! Has anything changed in the hardware configuration since others were successful?
shellsong
Grafter

mepis linux

You could try opening a terminal and running
sudo ifup eth0
in case something has brought down eth0 or has not brought it up and then try ifconfig
smokeyone
Grafter

mepis linux

Thanks all for the help. I really do need to solve the problem properly but got so frustrated about it that I tried a re-install - and it worked.
I have been happy with mepis and would like to use it exclusively for surf & e-mails but can I take the chance.............
What does run the dhcp cd mean please............. and where to from here. Is there a way to confirm it will not happen again.............
Community Veteran

mepis linux

If you are up a running and can access the internet you can ignore the comment on DHCP. It is used to allocate IP addresses to PCs and is run on your router.
shellsong
Grafter

mepis linux

If it's up and running now to your satisfaction you should have no problems with Mepis-- it's really user friendly (like most debian distros) and we've had sessions up and running for half a year at a time it's so stable! Wink
smokeyone
Grafter

mepis linux

To good to be true - mepis is down again...............after perhaps a dozen connections................