cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maybe OT - yes, better filters really do make a difference

N/A

Yes, I know this reads like some viral marketing rubbish, but it's honestly true.

I'd heard about ADSLNation's xf-1e filter before and had figured it was probably so much snake-oil - "we've got more components in our filter so it must be better". Since I had a rock-solid stable 2Mb connection I couldn't see what difference it could make to me.

Anyway, then along came ADSL Max and I get sync speed of 4.7Mb, which I'd be happy with except that the error rate has crept up to around 0.04% and plusnet are saying that my line's not actually capable of the synch speed (so I'm only downloading at 2.3Mbps) - I wondered if a better filter would improve things.

Meantime, one of my wife's friend's fifth ADSL filter in about 12 months has died and these xf-1e's are meant to be more resilient to dodgy lines, so I suggested I got hold of one for her. Since I was placing the order anyway I thought I'd try one out as well.

One order to broadbandbuyer and four days later it finally arrived; I switched it over, having first taken a reading from the router on the line stats.

The increase was dramatic:

Before xf-1e:
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 4416
US Margin 23
DS Margin 4
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 62

Immediately after switch:
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 7264
US Margin 24
DS Margin 6
DS Line Attenuation 48
US Line Attenuation 60

Blimey. Not bad for £6.90!

Obviously chances are my existing filter - which was very very cheap - was also very very crap, but it's interesting to see that the quality of the filter really does make a significant difference to ADSL. I suppose the cheapest way to see if the filter is slowing down the line would be simply to unplug the filter (and all phones) altogether and try it without, then buy one of these if it's a huge difference.

Now I just have to persuade plusnet that I should be getting better than 2.3Mbps out of a 7.29Mb line...

Sad

G
7 REPLIES
BigDaz
Grafter

Thanks for the info, I went for the cheap filters and it's been fine up until now. Think I might get new ones since my connections been unstable since maxDSL and I'm getting disconnections when the phone rings.
N/A

Since Max 13 days my downstream sync speed has varied between approx. 4700 and 5200kbps, and SNR steady 6db. BUT whenever the phone rang or I got the dial tone the SNR dropped like a stone to 0 and sync was lost, never had the problem before Max.

Sent for a ADSL Nation XF-1e filter, improved, but still dropping to 1 or 2db though not losing sync now. Decided to check all my sockets etc., there is a cable from the master socket to a junction box with extensions from the J/B to a bedroom and the room where the computer is.

I have a Krone tool, so I remade all the connections in the sockets, no different. The J/B had screw terminals, so in desperation as a final attempt at a cure I went out and bought a new one with IDC terminals, and fitted it in place of the other.

Fault cured, now no disconnection or loss of sync and SNR now stays at 6db whenever the phone is used.
N/A

Re: maybe OT - yes, better filters really do make a differen

Obviously chances are my existing filter - which was very very cheap - was also very very [censored], but it's interesting to see that the quality of the filter really does make a significant difference to ADSL. I suppose the cheapest way to see if the filter is slowing down the line would be simply to unplug the filter (and all phones) altogether and try it without, then buy one of these if it's a huge difference.

For what it's worth, someone in another forum suggested that the excelsor filters are as good or better than the x1e - and as you can get them for £2.99 I thought I'd give it a go.

Sure enough, the difference between the two filters is minimal, if anything the cheap excelsus filter is better.

Now I just have to figure out how to stop my synch rate decreasing from 7k down to 5700 when it gets hot outside. Grrr.

I'm unsure if the Z420UK version (available for 50p more here) is any better, but certainly the non-UK version has done the trick for me.
N/A

I slighty confused on all the posting on filters for the ADSL modems. Looking at circuit diagrams for the filters the filtering circuitry is to remove the high frequencies going to the telephone. There is only a spark protection circuit on the modem side, and therefore from a circuit point of view this is a direct connection from the wall socket to the modem. So unless you are pluging a phone into the same wall socket as the modem I can't see the need for the filter.

Also some modems i.e ZOOm X3 have inbuilt filters as you can plug the phone directly into the back of the modem. So an additional filter at the wall socket is not needed.
N/A

So unless you are pluging a phone into the same wall socket as the modem I can't see the need for the filter.

Correct, you do not need a filter unless you are using a phone in the same socket, but all sockets in use with another device i.e. phone, sky box, fax machine etc.need a filter, unless you are using a filtered face plate at the master socket.
N/A

So are you like me and disagree with some off PN generic statement below?

3. Plug microfilters into your broadband enabled telephone socket.

The microfilter stops interference from other telephone equipment from affecting your broadband service. The incorrect placement of microfilters is a common cause of broadband faults – so please take extra care when you plug yours in.

Your broadband hardware should always be plugged into a microfilter. If you have devices attached to extension sockets on the same line, they should also be plugged into a microfilter.

N/A

3. Plug microfilters into your broadband enabled telephone socket.

If you are only using the modem or router at this socket then no filter is needed, if you have a phone connected as well as the modem then a filter would be necessary.

If you have devices attached to extension sockets on the same line, they should also be plugged into a microfilter.

This is correct any socket in use with other equipment needs a filter.