cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxd for a while but internet now keeps disconnecting?!

hamufa

i was upgraded to dslmax about 3 weeks ago and have noticed an amzing change to my internet speeds. Cheesy however, recently my internet has been disconnecting every so often during the evenings Cry . it usually happens around after 8 o' clock, and the internet usually disconnects either every 30 minutes to an hour. i always have to disconnect my router and reconnect it again to establish a connection again. this problem is becoming quite consistent now and i can't seem to figure out whether the problem lies with the router or my broadband.
18 REPLIES
N/A

Can you post your line stats i.e. SNR, Attenuation US & DS Speeds it may help someone diagnose the problem.

Also open an account at www.l8nc.com its free and only takes a minute. This is the kind of graph you get, it'll help keep track of any disconnects:-

http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=f992c4968315bdc89105e63d128bdf0d&sid=&day=today
hamufa

wow thank you so much for the quick reply, but im a little stuck, do i check my line speed snr etc under the connections settings in the members area?
N/A

Your router should be able to give you the information. If you've got your User Manual to hand have a quick look. Otherwise vist the manufactures web site to DL a copy.
hillers
Grafter

try connecting your router into the directly into the BT master socket without the house extensions connected by removing the front panel and see if the connection still drops.

If it does not disconnect then its a wiring problem which you will need a BT engineer out to correct.
hamufa

thank you for that, i will try using the master socket too,a nd will psot back results asap. strangely howevr downtime seems to be happenign when im on msn messeger after 8ish. could that be a problem?
hamufa

i found the following infomation about my router, hope it helps:

Line Status:

Downstream Upstream
ADSL Link Speed: 6112 kbps 448 kbps
SNR: 2.5 dB 0.0 dB
ATEN: 30 dB 20 dB
hillers
Grafter

I was having the same problem, but was happening when i was either online gaming or web browsing. I never use msn messenger so cant comment on that.
But if you need to call a BT engineer out, contact BT directly has it can be long winded doing it thru support
hillers
Grafter

Your SNR seems very low should be about 6db any less can cause drop outs
N/A

Disconnect

Good day

I wonder if anybody can also help me ! I had the same problem since April - when my connection was upgraded to maxdsl - - since than - it keep disconnect - - and ive been left basically all on my own !

i took an image of router stats if it can be of help -

http://www.fsproject.com/router1.gif

is pretty bad ! basically ive a just about useless internet connection - - with very little hope to make it work -

ive also started the line test as you suggested at www.l8nc.com

and here is the link:

http://www.l8nc.com/graph.php?jid=cab3d0c2bb2774656a7c4dc6177a6eb3

thanks to anybody who can help to get me out of this nightmare!!

ray
N/A

hamufa:

Just looking at the SNR figures, something is a bit iffy. Someone with more knowledge is better commenting on this.
N/A

raimondo:

Dunno where to even start with your problem, sorry.

I'd raise a ticket, follow this link and perform each of the tasks requested:-

http://faults.plus.net/applications.php?Module=Faults
hamufa

wow my snr is really low. what could be the problem? ive just checked it aand this time its jumped to 3.5db
N/A

SNR is affected by allsorts of atmospheric conditions and electrical supplies. SNR will fluctuate, especially at night.
hamufa

i understand now. thank you very much for all your help. would there be anyway of improving the snr of the line such as directly contacting bt?