cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxDSL joke!!

N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Since PN are making it impossible for me to leave you may aswell put me back on the 2 meg deal i was on before. I cant play online games, download, use ventrilo.. well unless i want 25k ping. Wb PN
33 REPLIES
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

maxdsl is a joke.

tonight my stable rate has gone from 8000kbps to 2500kbps

I now connect at 4mbit, but my ip profile has been capped to 2000kbps

This is all the fault of BT may I add

A whole speed increase of minus 20-40 kbps since my upgrade to maxdsl

I'm living the dream, best damn £5 i've ever spent

I keep stressing my line is capable of 4.5mbps at least, I doubt i'll get anywhere though. The time is nearing to pack my bags and leave the land of PN I do believe. I don't know how much more I can take.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

If BT have your IPProfile set at 2000 then leaving plus.net wouldnt make a jolt of difference as that is outside of whichever ISP you are with's realm.

You could get them to give bt a nudge or give your router a few re-connect/connect sessions in an hour to see it kick starts BT back into life again.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

I mean it would probably be easier migrating because it'll probably take a month or so now to get PN to ask BT to upgrade my profile/stable rate again.
I'm now sync'd at 4.5mbit, what my line is capable of. yet i'm capped at 2mbit. It is rediculous!
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Its nothing to do with BT. Cant you see that 95% of PN customers have the same problem. Before I got moved onto maxDSL i coudl play games , download & and use voice comms. Now I can do nothing. I Simply want my net sorted as I cannot afford to pay Plusnet £114 to cancel !!!! I will be saving my money for be there net !!
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Its nothing to do with BT. Cant you see that 95% of PN customers have the same problem.

If someones IP profile with BT is set at a certain level then that is ENTIRELY to do with BT. Their exchange tells you what speed you should get and limits it there. It is set up by BT and no-one can change it but them.

There is also a limit on the PN side which is usually 500k above the BT limit which PN can change, but if plusnet say "you are on 8Mb" and Bt say you are on "512k" .... you will get no more than the 512k until BT get a kick up the posterior and alter their figures.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

How do you find out what your ipprofile is set to? I've been having massive problems and even though I went to maxdsl in September I have never had any speed increase above 2mb! (well apart from one night where I achieved 310kb/s download consistently and then next day it was back to 240kb/s and lower)
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

To use the speedtester you need to change the login you are using, the username to use is speedtest@speedtest_domain, the password can be anything. Then visit the webpage http://www.speedtester.bt.com, and enter your telephone number and run the test

http://www2.farina1.com/tester/testfinished.jpg

^^ that is an example picture of what you should actually see when it is finished.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Thanks but I can't get to that link as i'm not picking up any dns servers I guess.

I got given this one http://217.32.105.42 by Plusnet support but it doesn't give the same detaisl your link gives.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

If your connecting to BT's test server then you should be getting your DNS server and IP addresses via the DHCP/PPP negotiation. They should not be static.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

The BT speedtester has changed and PlusNet don't seem to have changed their help page to match.

http://www.speedtester.bt.com no longer needs you to change your login, you do it with your PlusNet login and dns servers. It will give you your BRAS rate, sync rate, and a 'best effort' throughput from PlusNet and your exchange.

The only way you can use the old speedtester is by using the IP address http://217.32.105.42 (think it's .42 and not .142) and for that you do have to change your login details.
The new speedtester gives you more detail but goes through your ISP. I find I get real download speeds from it, including BT congestion. But it's usually busy so the best time to try it is between 6 and 8 am.

The new speedtester will tell you what profile BT have you on. If it's nowhere near the PlusNet one, and nowhere near what you should be for your sync speed, you have a stuck profile if you've been syncing at that speed with no drops to below the minimum for that profile for at least 3 days.

You need to raise a fault saying that you have a stuck BRAS if that's the case.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Incorrect BB code removed so that the link to BT tester works. Wink
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

The BT speedtester has changed and PlusNet don't seem to have changed their help page to match.

http://www.speedtester.bt.com no longer needs you to change your login, you do it with your PlusNet login and dns servers. It will give you your BRAS rate, sync rate, and a 'best effort' throughput from PlusNet and your exchange.Moderators note by John (johnessex) Incorrect BB code removed so that the link to BT tester works. Wink

Thank you for that! Run the test this morning at 06.30. Confirmed by profile is 2500 and downloaded at 2300 but my sync speed is 3700 and has been around that all week so well beyond any 3 day adaptive period. May well be a BT fault but Plusnet should be getting BT on the case and fixing it, not just giving out the same old answers and doing nothing.

I have reported it to Plusnet but so it seems have many others and got no where so may have to wait to get my new ISP to get it sorted once I migrate.
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Ive been syncing at 8128k for a month bt still have me on ip profile of 2000k. I can stay connected for as long as I like without losing connection. Plusnet portal said 2000k so I got them to manually change it to 8000k but still bt's side says 2000k. Numerous phone calls and a long ticket and im getting nowhere as there is no fault apparently. Some people on the phone are saying that ip profile should be higher were as other are telling me maybe my connection isnt stable at a higher rate but if that was the case wouldnt I lose sync or sync lower some of the time or am I misunderstanding something?

MSR 8128k
Line attenuation 10db
Noise margin 14db
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

Thats ridiculous! What hope do the rest of us have when you can say thats happening :shock:

Try this link which I have just found, it gives info on the state of your exchange. May explain if you have an issue at the exchange as well as just with Plusnet.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Moderators note by John (johnessex) full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules

I also edited this as I found a Plusnet link providing the same info!
N/A

maxDSL joke!!

All green on that and the plusnet checker so not an exchange problem. I have now unplugged my router and plugged in a speed touch modem changed all the cables and stuff so its a completely different setup on my side. The telephone cable now is a very long so my sync has dropped for the first time to 7616k gonna keep it on for a few days to see if it makes any difference at all.