cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mailboxes for hosted domains

N/A

I have a domain hosted with F9 and I pick up mail via my root account (which seems to be the only way apart from using my own mail server?). The problem is that I can't pick up mail specifically addressed to the hosted domain seperately, they get lost in all the spam on the root domain.
E.g. mail to "dave@hosteddomain.co.uk" doesn't appear in my mailbox "dave" on my root domain it just arrives in the general pile.
Is there a work around?
Also... is there a way to automatically delete the stuff marked "[SPAM]" rather than doing it manually?

Dave Pick.
5 REPLIES
N/A

if you have a domain hosted by f9 along with your normal account, then all emails to your f9 account and domain go through to the same mailbox, if you want them seperate like i do then you best of moving your domain out of f9

my domain was purchased and is hosted by freeola. I pay £20 every 2 years and have free hosting, i don't use it, i only use their email facility for it

i transferred it into f9 onto my premier account, but moved it back because of this problem, i wanted to keep it totally seperate from my f9 emails

regards
mike
N/A

Re: mailboxes for hosted domains

E.g. mail to "dave@hosteddomain.co.uk" doesn't appear in my mailbox "dave" on my root domain it just arrives in the general pile.
Is there a work around?

Do you have a Dave mailbox set up in your email settings? If not, you need to make one, then in your mail programme, you will need to put picks+Dave into the username box and whatever password you decide to use on your mailbox. If you want it to go to a folder in Outlook, then you will need to make up message rules to place any mails with dave@whatever.co.uk into the Dave folder.

Have I got the gist of what you were after?

Mark
N/A

Hi,

YEP! agree with Mark on this subject I also think you could create a new alias mailbox called dave for example then mail sent to dave@yourdomain.co.uk should work.

Ivan
N/A

I tried that.
It works with mails addressed to "dave@picks..." but not to "dave@hosteddomain.." so maybe Mike's right.
Trouble is, I'd have to pay F9 for the pleasure of taking my domain elsewhere.. and then pay again to have it hosted!

Dave.
N/A

If you hosted 2 domains, in addition to your "root" account, whilst it is possible to host 3 different websites (one for each domain), all the mail is shared across all 3 domains.

So mail sent to dave@acme1, dave@acme2 or dave@picks are all regarded as the same.

As Mark pointed out, you could setup a mailbox for specific names (like dave). My preferred method would be to set up a mailbox called "dave.thomas" and create a redirect for dave@ to dave.thomas@ (assuming your surname is Thomas of course).

Mail picked up from this mailbox would need to be setup as a new mail account within MSOutlook or MSOutlookExpress (or whatever mail reader you use) as "picks+dave.thomas" - and remember you will still need to check your "pick" mail account separately (your root mail account).

One thing not previously mentioned is that Outlook Express (possibly fullblown Outlook too) has a filter called "Where the message is from the specified account". Since dave@acme1, dave@acme2 and dave@picks are all picked up my the same mailbox - this filter would pick up mail, regardless of which domain it was sent to. It has the advantage of being somewhat neater than checking for each email address explicitly. It also means you can add more redirects to your mailbox within the F9 mailbox maintenance pages. So you could add new email address of "f9news" as a redirect to "dave.thomas@acme1" (or dave.thomas@picks) and it would end up in that mailbox, and would be automatically filtered by Outlook Express without the need to change you filters. This seems to be what you want as regards dave@picks and dave@hosteddomain.