cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mail problem

N/A

mail problem

After having an almost perfect f9 mail service for many years I am finding over the last few weeks that, while trying to get my mail down, I frequently get the message saying my server has "unexpectedly terminated the connection". Having to constantly go on to the web site for my mail is driving me nuts. Is it me - or 'them'? And what can be done about it? Please!
Thanks for any help.
Annabelle.
19 REPLIES
N/A

How to sort out errors, Ivan

Hello Annabelle,

I have seen very similar problems myself many times over with my mail service and I think you may find that infact there is NOTHING repeat NOTHING wrong with either your connection to F9, nor your mail program, Nor F9's mail server or the F9 mail service. OK!! these error messages can often be caused (are most likely to be caused) by a worm or virus infection or malicous script buried within an email. These are quite capable of screwing up or terminating the connection with the mail server (hence the error mesaages) even though in reality there's nothing wrong with the system.

**You can check if the above is correct, by using the web browser and logging into the F9 @mail (web based mail box) if your @mail "inbox" contains emails with attachments or spam mail, its usually possible to quite quickly delete the offending items (mail) and then I think you will find that the remaining normal emails will download without any problems or error messages.

Ivan
N/A

mail problem

another good program is to use something like mailwasher, which only downloads the headers, and you tell it what to delete before you actually use outlook to recieve them.

regards
mike
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi,

YEP! I agree and can definately recommend Mailwasher Pro its a marvilous package. It can safely be used with either Outlook or Outlook Express for mail clients.

You can develop a multi-layer defence (a sort of belt & brace approach against spam & viruses). I use F9 anti spam & anti virus service which comes with my account type, this functions at the server level before your mailbox and then I use Mailwasher Pro on my own machine (local level defence). This way many of the worst viruses & spam are caught before they even reach your webmail inbox, & for those that do slip through mailwasher pro will flag these up so you can delete them off the server, only leaving legitimate mail for safe downloading. I've been using this system for some time now and works exceedingly well.

Mailwasher:- http://www.mailwasher.net/

OR

Mailwasher:- http://www.firetrust.com/

Ivan
N/A

mail problem

Thanks for your replies guys - you have given me much food for thought. I will certainly give Mailwasher a try. Failing that I may treat myself to a book of stamps.
Annabelle.
Marteknet
Grafter

mail problem

another good program is to use something like mailwasher, which only downloads the headers, and you tell it what to delete before you actually use outlook to recieve them.

regards
mike

I use Mailwasher but over the last few weeks have been getting an "out of time" error when using it and it will not work correctly anymore.
N/A

Replying re:mailwasher Ivan

Hello martek,

Which version of Mailwasher are you using? I have a feeling this isnt a problem within mailwasher though, its more likely to be connection related or an issue with authentication i.e. login to the mail server itself.

**If you get really stuck and are utterly unable to fix the problem yourself, mailwasher comes with a debug log (error logging file) and although you wont be able to open & read this yourself. You can send the log file itself back to mailwasher support and they try and help you sort it out one way or another. I had some minor issues in the past and they sent me fixes or newer versions so its worth a try if all else fails.

Ivan
N/A

mail problem - still

I have done as suggested ....... deleted all the rubbish from the web site and let only the "good stuff" through. But no matter whether I do this or not it makes no difference. On an average of once every seven or eight tries my mail is downloaded to OE, no problem. The rest of the time I am still told that the server has terminated the connection. Am I right in thinking this means the problem can't be due to "bad" e-mails?
I now have Mailwasher but haven't installed it yet. As I also have Qurb will Mailwasher work along with it ok? And in the circumstances is Mailwasher likely to fix things anyway?
In despair (!) Annabelle.
N/A

mail problem

Hello Annabelle

One step at a time here with this issue!, so you have now successfully proved that your problem is NOT as I had previously thought. Its NOT due to worm or virus ridden emails on the server, OK!! that's actually a good thing, we can eliminate that cause from the troubleshooting process.

So the problem is still happening so that leaves me thinking that the next thing you should look at is your dialup or networking connection (often referred to as the DUN). The DUN is required when using a modem or broadband and if any of the settings get lost, damaged or otherwise corrupted then this could potentially cause the problem your experiencing. Or it could be as simple as a wrong or lost or missing setting too?

One way of trying to fix or solve the problem is to make a note (literally write down all the settings in your DUN or write them into a text file like in wordpad or notepad and then save them for future reference) of ALL the settings of the dialup connection and once you've done that, delete the DUN In windows and then use the connection wizard to make a new DUN from all the settings you saved previously in the text file. I used to find this often fixed gliches like this. By just making a new dailup connection.

Yes! Mailwasher should work with most email client programs including your Qurb. Mailwasher uses the DUN and logs into your email account or mailbox on the mail server, you can then see your email before you download it, next when you decide to download your good or legit mail Mailwasher will link to & load Qurb then you send/recieve as normal, thats how it works so MW doesnt replace Qurb it works along side it.

**Dont dispair its only a computer problem!! life's to short for real despair. Its only a machine but we seem to forget that fact so easily and so quickly.

Ivan
N/A

mail problem

In the dark days before Mailwasher Pro, there was a Mailwasher programme (version 1.33 which I have) that allowed multiple accounts to be checked. The documentation is very explicit in its wording which states that the programme is free, is to be spread by word of mouth and a contribution would be greatfully received. I still have the original programme and in the true nature of the programme will send it to anyone who would like to trial the multi account version before contributing.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Re: mail problem

After having an almost perfect f9 mail service for many years I am finding over the last few weeks that, while trying to get my mail down, I frequently get the message saying my server has "unexpectedly terminated the connection". Having to constantly go on to the web site for my mail is driving me nuts. Is it me - or 'them'? And what can be done about it? Please!

There is a thread just started on the plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup about this exact problem. You may find by subscribibg to this group that the answer will be found quicker, due to the high usage of the group.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

I've used almost every version of Mailwasher since it was first created by Nick Bolton in New Zealand some years back and I too have archived most versions and like you am happy to provide anyone who shows interest in a freeware version. Yes! true some of the freeware versions would allow for mutiple email accounts.

However that's NOT Annabelles problem as far as I can see? She hasnt mentioned that she's using multiple email accounts unless I'm badly mistaken here. Lets keep things simple here & not make things more complicated than they need to be? She only mentioned erorrs that she was unable to get her mail becuase it timed out i.e. could connect to the mail server and the connection was dropped or disconnected.
I frequently get the message saying my server has "unexpectedly terminated the connection".

Ivan
N/A

Re: Replying Ivan

Lets keep things simple here & not make things more complicated than they need to be?

That's what I tried to do by quoting the relevant text about Mailwasher and then adding my bit. I then answered the rest in a separate post.

Regards

Mark
N/A

mail problem

I don't know if you subscribed to the newsgroup, but one of the answers is quoted below.

With a little more experimenting, I have now managed to use TELNET to access my mailbox and manually delete all 12 messages - as a result of this action, OE is now working properly.

Would it have been some kind of badly formed header that was preventing PN server from responding?

RMC
>
>

Hi,

That's certainly what it sounds like. We see this type of error quite a
bit (and also the same when I worked at Freeserve, and I'm most ISP's will
also concur) and most of the time it's either down to a malformed or
corrupted header or a message that is very large and is just timing out.
Sometimes you AV or spam software causing similar types of error with
similar reasons.

There was also a link posted with the relevant TELNET commands and instructions here.http://www.internode.co.uk/qna_internet.htm#deleteemail

HTH

Mark
N/A

mail problem - discovery

I have discovered that I can retrieve my mail normally via OE in the evening! Last night I played around for ages connecting and disconnecting and it worked every time. Perfectly.
This morning - nothing Cry
Surely this means Ivan that it can't be my "DUN"? (I have a free phone number and a pay number and both work / don't work in the same way.)
You made me smile with your it's-only-a-machine remark. And of course you're right. But you gotta admit it can be a pretty annoying machine at times!
Mark - i tried to find the the discussion you mentioned on Plusnet but could only see stuff concerning broadband. If there is one to do with dialup would you please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
In a little less despair ....... Annabelle.