cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logs

m00nie
Grafter

logs

is it possible for someone at plusnet to have a look at my connection log and maybe even let me have a copy to see if any pattern that could be connected this end?

thanks.
25 REPLIES
N/A

logs

Depending on your method of connection, you may already have access to this information locally. Some routers will contain logs that will detail connections and loss of sync.

If you raise a ticket then PN should be able to send you both this information and the speeds that you were syncing at each time you reconnect.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

my router only holds so many lines of informatiom and so can be only an hours worth most times and you have to manually save it.

il raise a ticket

cheers
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

logs

Hi,

Is there anything in particular that you are looking for and over what sort of time period? Looking over the last week there's quite a few short connections (under 1 hour), but it's not very clear what's causing the disconnections, some are user request (i.e. your router disconnected the connection) and some don't have a disconnection reason (could be a loss of sync).
m00nie
Grafter

logs

hi

i get quite a lot of disconnections, loss of sync, but they only seem to happen at night. have done all the checks(new leads, test socket etc) so far so was hoping to get a few days worth of logs so i could see if there was any kind of pattern that could be linked to anything with it just being at night time.

thanks
Community Veteran

logs

There are several ways in which you can get the data you need, from simply getting a router to email it each day, to running external software to monitor your stats, to running a logging daemon like syslog which a lot or routers support.

What ADSL equipment are you using?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

logs

I've added the logs to the ticket for you, hopefully it will help. If it's losing sync though chances are that it's sync'ing at either too high a rate or there is some factor in the evening causing an increase in "noise" which could be anything from street lights to the weather to something strange like central heating, security lights or something like that.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

hi,

its a billion bipac 5102g wireless adsl router.

it has an option to save the log but only when you are logged into the settings. and it only holds x amount of lines and that normaly only lasts an hour. have tried to pull them that way but miss some,forget, etc so not too good.

dont mind doing it myself but didnt know what software to use, then read on another thread that plusnet have logs hence why i asked.

thanks
Community Veteran

logs

Not familiar with that router.

Try the DMT software from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ - use V9 - and see if that can communicate with it.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

I've added the logs to the ticket for you, hopefully it will help. If it's losing sync though chances are that it's sync'ing at either too high a rate or there is some factor in the evening causing an increase in "noise" which could be anything from street lights to the weather to something strange like central heating, security lights or something like that.

thanks for that,

thats why i was hoping for the logs to see if the times corresponded with any thing here.my snr?? is apparently borerline anyway? ? so the noise wouldnt need to be much?

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin : 6.0 23.0 db
Line Attenuation : 40.5 24.0 db
Data Rate : 7296 448 kbps

those stats are with me plugged directly into the test socket.dont need the phone at night so thought id leave pluged into test socket to see if any difference.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

Not familiar with that router.

Try the DMT software from http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ - use V9 - and see if that can communicate with it.

thanks will look into that to monitor myself also, have been supplied some of the logs in the mean time to try and see.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

logs

The 6dB SNR is the default on a Max line and as you say doesn't take a lot for it to decrease and depending on the router may only need to drop to 2 or 3dB to cause a resync. If there's nothing obvious causing the problem then the best thing will probably to raise a fault to increase the target SNR to 9 or 12dB which will lower the speed a little to improve the stability.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

thanks will check through the logs see if can match it to anything here first, then if not dont mind losing some of the speed for a chance of more stability.
m00nie
Grafter

logs

hi,

well i had a good look through the logs, (thanks for adding them to the ticket) cant link it to anything in particular, especially as it continues after kids gone bed so not much left on then. so ive asked on the ticket for my SNR to be increased to 9db to see if that gives me a bit more stability but was told to switch the router on and off repeatedley on and for an hour and half.

Is that right? ? ?

sorry for doubting the csc people but they also said it wasnt possible for the logs to be added,when it had already been done. i know there your work colleagues but some of the ticket replies they do seem automated responses, mmm maybe they are....(goes off to send a one worded ticket in to see the reply given).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

logs

It's right in one way in that it is usually the easiest and quickest way to increase the target SNR. The dynamic line management (DLM) systems at the exchange monitor the stability of the line but they only increase the target SNR if they see a certain amount of disconnections in a short period of time. The amount that your line is disconnecting isn't enough for the automated systems (as it could easily be normal behavior of someone with a USB modem logging off and on several times a day).

Rebooting the router a number of times within 30 minutes should make DLM pick up the instability and thus increase the target SNR.